Colorado Springs Skier Dies at Kicking Horse

This man was a friend of a friend of mine. a gifted spine surgeon, an accomplished skier, all we know is he fell onto rocks in Fuez bowl and later died in hospital. Was hoping some CS or KH mags might have some insight into this incident.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/skii...-accident.html

He leaves behind his wife and three sons. Condolences to his family, friends, and the Colorado Springs Community. He will be sorely missed. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by The Duke of Hurl; 04-04-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

My deepest sympathies for your friend and family.

For some reason the link doesn't work, but here's what it says.
    THE GAZETTE
    A Colorado Springs spine surgeon died Saturday in a skiing accident while on vacationing in British Columbia, his brother-in-law said Sunday.

Dr. Richard Lazar, 52, was skiing with another doctor at a ski resort about 150 miles west of Calgary when he hit an object and suffered brain and internal injuries, said Bruce Simon, Lazar’s brother-in-law. He was flown to a hospital in Calgary, where he died. It wasn't immediately known what object he hit.

Lazar was skiing a marked double-black diamond run that included exposed cliff and rocks, said Jordan Petrovics, Kicking Horse Mountain Resort spokesman.

“Due to the weather, they did the best they could to get him to the hospital as quickly as possible,” Petrovics said.

Lazar was born in Phoenix and moved to Colorado Springs in 1998, where he worked as a spine surgeon for Colorado Springs Orthopaedic Group.

He had three sons with his wife of 27 years, Jennifer Simon. Lazar’s two youngest sons attend Fountain Valley School of Colorado and his oldest is a sophomore at Denver University.

“If you met him, and you didn’t know what he did, you would have never guessed he had a background in engineering or medicine,” Bruce Simon, Lazar’s brother-in-law. “He was a very open and outward person.

“He was one of those people who always listens well.”

When not in the operating room, Lazar was known to hop on a flight outside the country. He rode his bicycle in Europe and went hunting in South America, Bruce Simon said. He was also an “avid skier,” often hitting the slopes with his three sons.

“My brother in law was always an adventurer,” Bruce Simon said. “It just seems crazy he’s not coming back from this trip — he’s been on so many.”

Lazar's most recent vacation to Canada was a hut-to-hut skiing trip, though he left early from Colorado with another doctor to get in a few extra ski runs, Simon said.

“You never worry because Rich seemed to be one of those guys who was invincible,” Simon said. “This is the first time he came up against that immovable force.”

The Calgary Herald contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.gazette.com/articles/skii...#ixzz1IaU8GVxQ

I was up there on Sat and Sun but didn't hear about this accident. With the low vis for most of the day I could see this happening quite easily.

Vibes to his family.

My wife knew him, she works at Penrose Hospital with him. I heard most of his associates have taken the remainder of the week of. He must have made quite an impression. I'm sorry for you loss. She came home and told me that one of the surgeons died in BC.

My condolences.

My Dad is out skiing in Utah right now and this is really, really sobering to read.

Vibes to his family.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

I'm in Utah right now, so I haven't heard much from Colo Spgs, I'll have to check with some people when I get back. +++vibes+++ to his Family.

Serious bummer, vibes. KH is no joke; in low vis conditions this could easily happen to anyone.
    I thought their offices would be strewn with bunny-fucking and condom dispensers, a veritable enchanted forest of cock shafts and twat mist. - JoeStrummer

may you rest in peace good sir and enjoy eternal powder turns in the sky. my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

So it sounds like low visibility played a big role in this. Does anyone know what run he was on?
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Hurl View Post
    So it sounds like low visibility played a big role in this. Does anyone know what run he was on?
    Steps 4 and 3. Fell from one to the other over 22 meter cliff.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Thx G. Tough line in good viz. His friends appreciate this.

J, very sorry to hear about your loss.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Sad news indeed. Sorry for the loss of your friend. Vibes to his family and friends. I'm sure he will be missed. RIP skier.
    The Passion is in the Risk