On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Ever change a catalytic converter on ford truck?

So how fucked am I?

2008 Ford F250 5.4L. Rattling sound > rattling got better > CEL came on last night code reads cat issue. Seems like the fucker crumbled and is blocking some flow on the passenger side now. Truck is sluggish now.

Got underneath and there is definitely loose bits inside the p/s cat.

Ford parts wants $1300 for the damn thing. There are all these cheapo ones online for like $100 but there is no way these things actually work and/or pass inspection, right?

If you are in California you need a OEM type replacement. If not, you can use any certified 49 state cat that fits. I use Magnaflow personally. You can get the weld-in type or direct fit.

I bought a cheap-o universal cat from the parts store to replace the broken one on my old landcruiser. I used some muffler clamps and a handy dandy hacksaw to do the install in my driveway. After I passed my emissions test I figured I was good. But I'll be damned if the muffler clamps didn't start to loosen up and then the cat would come off while I was driving. Didn't take long to realize that I was running a straight pipe back there because that fucking 2F was one noisy pig of an engine. So I started keeping a dirty towel in the truck to push hot the cat back on and a big old hammer to snug it up real nice once I had it back in place. That worked fine for many thousands of miles.

That said, I'd suggest going to a muffler shop and having them source a suitable replacement cat for you and then weld it in place.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Yeah fuck.

Just realized my truck IS still covered under the ext warranty I bought, but the cats aren't covered because that falls under "Owner Maintenance Requirements."

Wut? How the fuck do you maintain a cat?
    --------------------------

Ok, so the lady at ford service said there was some warranty extensions for "catalytic y-pipes" on some of the fords. Seems that mine would be covered. I am hoping so.

If not I am gonna have to weld one in myself this weekend.

http://www.autosafety.org/10034712-csp-10m05

Yeah a failed cat on a 2008 would make me pissed. Ford OEM cats are crazy expensive

Is it still under the Federal emission warranty? (not the extended warranty, but the original warranty from Ford)

IIRC it's 8 years/80,000 miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Is it still under the Federal emission warranty? (not the extended warranty, but the original warranty from Ford)

IIRC it's 8 years/80,000 miles.
    ^^^THIS.

Federal warranty is better than factory warranty.

edit: not sure if they still sell them, but JC Whitney used to have catalytic converter "test pipes". The idea being that if were not sure if your issue was your cat or not, you installed the "test pipe" to see if you needed a new cat or not. Of course, some people just left the test pipe on....
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

If the OBD2 code says cat issue it usually is. Test pipes are for off road use only.

If it's not under warranty you need to get it stolen and your insurance will cover it.

I used one of the cheapos off if eBay on my ford, it has worked great, passed emissions and has yet to fall off, but I did tighten the shit out of the clamps and used lock tight.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Whew!

Its covered under my extended warranty because they was a recall on some cats!!!

have them give you back the old one so you can harvest out the platinum and sell it for meth money.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yeah fuck.

Just realized my truck IS still covered under the ext warranty I bought, but the cats aren't covered because that falls under "Owner Maintenance Requirements."

Wut? How the fuck do you maintain a cat?
    --------------------------

Ok, so the lady at ford service said there was some warranty extensions for "catalytic y-pipes" on some of the fords. Seems that mine would be covered. I am hoping so.

If not I am gonna have to weld one in myself this weekend.

http://www.autosafety.org/10034712-csp-10m05
    Huh? Wtf kind of maintenance do they want you to do on a cat? There isn't anything to be done.

Regardless of your extended warranty, if it is indeed a failed cat, they HAVE to replace it under the 8yr/80k mile federal emissions warranty.

</thread>