Who is the Best Cell Phone Carrier in Montana?

Well, I just got a great job offer that will relocate me to Billings. I'm praying it all goes through, and I actually get the job, so I can finally get out of this hot hell hole.

I'm currently with T-Mobile, and have been a very very satisfied customer over the years, aside from my crappy phone. With all the shenanigans going with AT&T buying out T-Mobile, I figured it might be a good time to switch carriers, since I've heard that AT&T coverage in Montana is quite poor. Is this a misconception? I've heard that Verizon coverage is great there.

What carrier would you suggest for Montana, or Billings specifically if you know. I'll be working mostly around the surrounding ranches, so good coverage is pretty important for me. Also, is there such a thing as 4g, let alone 3g in Billings?

Verizon is your only major carrier option. Coverage is pretty good.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Great. I'll check into Verizon, then. They're pricey compared to my current plan with TMO, but at least they offer unlimited data, unlike AT&T. My main concern is coverage, though. Seems like they have everyone beat. Montana isn't covered at all on the Sprint map, AT&T looked very marginal and spotty, and TMO looked decent, but not near as good as Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Great. I'll check into Verizon, then. They're pricey compared to my current plan with TMO, but at least they offer unlimited data, unlike AT&T. My main concern is coverage, though. Seems like they have everyone beat. Montana isn't covered at all on the Sprint map, AT&T looked very marginal and spotty, and TMO looked decent, but not near as good as Verizon.
    There are other carriers that will hit the same Verizon towers- mostly the prepaid MVNO out there will offer CDMA service on the Verizon network but under their plans. Take a look at Page Plus if you want to see what the coverage will be like. They will activate any Verizon contract phone (purchase used or reconditioned off Ebay, Craigslist, etc.) that has a clean ESN. Blackberry's used to be a problem, and still are if you go direct to the company, but many dealers are reporting they are able to activate them. Droids, Windows, Palm smart phones will all work if they are designed for Verizon CDMA. They have 2 monthly plans that offer talk, text and data in the plans.

AT&T is coming to Montana, part of the Verizon Alltel deal. not sure of the exact planned dates may already be here or soon.

that said, verizon is the primary carrier in Montana.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

we're full. fuck off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    we're full. fuck off.
    Let me guess. Your last name is Kaczynski?

That being said, it looks like Verizon is rolling out with a ton of great new phones over the next few months, so I'll probably end up signing up with them by the time I get there. Thanks for the info, everyone!

Triangle Mobile is a good service along the hi line in montana. They are expanding and building towers all over, though. so i would assume they will become a great option in time if you don't live in northern montana. I checked out their website www.itstrianglemobile.com and Triangle Communications is who is doing this.