Full review - https://mtnweekly.com/reviews/hiking...cro-puff-hoody

Still going with your reviews I see.

We

Don't

Care

That dog looks like she’s about to take a dump

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    That dog looks like she’s about to take a dump
    nah, notice the vagina, bitch is in heat. Figured blood red would look nice in the photos

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Seems like so much hype and such a waste of effort to come up with solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Don't all similar synthetic puffys do exactly what they're supposed to, and most at a fraction of the price (CAN$350) of this one?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Seems like so much hype and such a waste of effort to come up with solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Don't all similar synthetic puffys do exactly what they're supposed to, and most at a fraction of the price (CAN$350) of this one?
    I'd be curious about these similar synethics that actually have the warmth and packability of down, weight <10oz, and come in at a "fraction of the price"? Sure, there are lots of synthetic puffies out there, never seen one that compress like this. Gear gets better and better by small incremental steps like this.

Second time I've seen you rag on patagonia gear for being overpriced, but not show any actually comparable pieces of gear that are significantly cheaper.

Nope, aint gonna click on that link

Sure, down is lighter and by far best for cold dry weather, but synthetic puff is the way to go if you sweat or might get rain.

Patagucci micro puffs, hoodies or non-hoods, frequently go on sale

ETA: Nano Puff is a more versatile 3-season piece

I got one a couple months ago for pretty cheap (@$100) on sale. Not sure if quite the same, but not clicking to verify.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post

Sure, down is lighter and by far best for cold dry weather, but synthetic puff is the way to go if you sweat or might get rain.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    I got one a couple months ago for pretty cheap (@$100) on sale. Not sure if quite the same, but not clicking to verify.
    You don't need to click on his link, but check out the patagonia page: http://www.patagonia.com/product/men...ody/84030.html

This seems to be a new type of insulation for Patagonia just released a few weeks ago. Not the same as a nano puff.

Yeah, I got the Nano puff Bivy. It will serve the purpose I need.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Not the same as a nano puff.
    Of course not. Different items. Patti has been selling some version of the Micro Puff for 25+ years. Nano was introduced 10 or so years ago. My wife and I have both (older Micros). I use the Nano more often. She uses both equally.

I wish I had $1 for each time I've heard marketing hype re alleged game-changing synthetic insulation that's "like down but with all the benefits of synthetic." That marketing hype has been around for 40 years, and products so hyped were at most minor incremental improvements, usually no noticeable improvements and occasionally disastrous, e.g., mid-1980s gen 1 Primaloft, marketed as "synthetic down," soaked up water like cotton batting and after a year of hard use balled up and lost most of its loft.

Of course not. Different items. Patti has been selling some version of the Micro Puff for 25+ years. Nano was introduced 10 or so years ago. My wife and I have both (older Micros). I use the Nano more often. She uses both equally.

I wish I had $1 for each time I've heard marketing hype re alleged game-changing synthetic insulation that's "like down but with all the benefits of synthetic." That marketing hype has been around for 40 years, and products so hyped were at most minor incremental improvements, usually no noticeable improvements and occasionally disastrous, e.g., mid-1980s gen 1 Primaloft, marketed as "synthetic down," soaked up water like cotton batting and after a year of hard use balled up and lost most of its loft.
    Not disagreeing with the fact that most synthetics are incremental improvements. However that doesn't take away from the fact that continual incremental improvements add up over time. For instance, things like Polartec Alpha and FullRange by Toray were huge improvements on my Primaloft Gold whatever from a few years back. Until someone tests the new insulation in a serious manner (that isn't just driving clicks to their own shit website) -- it's worth at least paying attention to, even if it's unlikely to be some down-killer magic.

It's not news that the latest Polartec syn insulation has always been better than Primaloft's latest, assuming both get hard use. But it's also not news that most "new" syn insulation marketed since the early 2000's have been little more than re-branding existing products. If those incremental improvements in the past 10 years have added up to an actual functional improvement, I haven't seen it.

To me, Alpha and FullRange are major functional improvements in synthetics in the last couple of years. 95% of the warmth of other synthetics, much quicker drying, and loads more breathable due to how they eliminate certain design limits on the facing fabrics.

For $300 for a single item of clothing, I pretty much expect any outerwear to be pretty damn warm, dry and light. Sure, you can argue about the material, insulation, weight, blah blah blah, but if you're dropping that kind of coin, you should have an expectation it will check all the major boxes.

I can't be the only person who scoffs at the notion of paying $300 for a garbage bag that will get shredded the moment you have to go through thick brush. Fleece lined flannel still rocks.

Nobody pays retail
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Patagonia Micro Puff Hoody

ETA: Nano Puff is a more versatile 3-season piece
    Nano puff = awesome. Over the years picked up a pull over and a jacket

Stop stocking the spammer's thread with actual information. Make a new one that doesn't have his fucking link to his shitpile site.

To me, Alpha and FullRange are major functional improvements in synthetics in the last couple of years. 95% of the warmth of other synthetics, much quicker drying, and loads more breathable due to how they eliminate certain design limits on the facing fabrics.
    everyone will be talking about the Eddie Bauer Thindown in the years to come. No quilted baffles = lots of warmth without looking like a kook. I believe EB has the patent through 2019 on that Italian insulation.

Eddie Bauer the man, was the first to make a down jacket for outdoor sports way back in 1936. Don't let the Eddie Bauer or even L.L. Bean names fool you, they make amazing gear for the outdoors too..

For everyone else, if you don't like what I have to say that's ok by me, turns out the brands appreciate the work I do.

Patagonia Micro Puff Hoody

Isn't Alpha like .5 clo and Primaloft Gold like .92 clo? Hardly 95% of the warmth. Isn't Alpha just an incremental improvement on Thermal Pro fleece?

Edit: Was able to dig this up:
    Last edited by Lindahl; 09-24-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    nah, notice the vagina, bitch is in heat. Figured blood red would look nice in the photos
    Gross.

But hey the brands appreciate the work he does

I also refuse to click on that link

so I just assume his rambling monologue have not changed and his reviews still suck
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

He actually ALMOST gave some good info regarding EB and LL Bean a couple posts ago, then got ahold of himself and went back to being an insufferable blowhard.

well he thinks he is so fucking smart but as the saying goes never kid a kidder

so we can just start an alternative to his thread which was just done

so we don't have to listen to the bullshit he spews
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know