Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    looks like there is a new Landing Pad system for 2013-14 models as Subaru changed their system a bit in 13- see http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima...ding-pads.html

if you need the whole enchilada with towers & crossbars it looks like you can buy it with the landing pads included in the price: http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima...oof-racks.html

this setup gives you a 30" spread between the bars, so it seems this solves the problem
    Last edited by Tele 'til You're Smelly; 05-16-2014 at 01:47 PM.

I just got a 2015 Outback a few weeks ago and aside from coping with the lackluster rack, having racknroad do the full Thule rail conversion ($1200) the Yakima railgrab hack seemed like a good alternative. You reverse the mount of the tie down points and remove the custom bars. Then mount the rail grabs with small feet at the longest point in the front, medium feet at the longest point in the back. You get a pretty bomber (albeit two solid points of contact vs three) rack. My issues is that it pulls the plastic cladding on the outside of the rack up from the roof and the wind noise is ridiculous over 50mph. I am going to run like this for a few weeks and decide if it is better to just have the factory rack removed or keep this until the new control tower launch pads are released. Anyone have a 3d printer and want to work on adapting the mounting points for the tie downs to a current tower setup?
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

weight limits are just suggestions... kinda like HP limits listed on the transom of power boats.

unless you are flying an airplane
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I would totally agree with what everyone else is saying...I have an 09 outback and have thule bars on. I've driven 1000+ mile road trips with 2 bikes and a box full with gear on top and never had any issues. Even driving across the great plains I didn't feel like the center of gravity ruined the ride too much either...

A note about capacity. The "default" rack load for cars is 165 pounds. If you look at either the Yakima or Thule fit guides, you will see that is as high as anything is listed. That number is set by the dept of highway safety as the max AFAIK. Anything below 165, like 150 pounds for example, should be approached with caution, as the Manufacturer has reason to believe that the vehicle can't handle the default value.

I'd love more info on this modification too. I have a 2015 Outback and would love to remove the OEM rack and replace with a Yakima tower rack directly attached to the roof. What trim kit was used to fill in the gutter?

Quote Originally Posted by PSHome View Post
    I'd love more info on this modification too. I have a 2015 Outback and would love to remove the OEM rack and replace with a Yakima tower rack directly attached to the roof. What trim kit was used to fill in the gutter?
    Check in with Rack and Road in Sacramento CA. They can tell you what you need. You will have to pull the headliner from the interior of the car, but the outcome is amazingly good looking. I am still considering this in a future project for the late fall.

Subaru Outback roof rack question...please help

Update on the Rail Grab system. I have had the car for 13 months and put 22k miles with the rack on top. 15k miles driving to Tahoe with a ski box and bike racks and between 1-5 pairs of skis/boards. No issues ever. I have driven to Seattle with a kayak on top without an issue as well. I have not had to tighten or adjust the rail grab set up this way and my long SkyBox clears the rear tailgate for the automatic opener without concern and ample clearance. I put the front deflector on and it wedges in between the rack front and barely fits with a box. That said, it reduces sound issues.

I also did one trip to Tahoe with a fourteen foot Hobie Ocean Adventure (kayak, sail, mast, and two pontoons) then drove to Mono Lake and through Yosemite on the Tioga Pass with the set up with no rack issues aside from the cradles hating the weight.

This is a good and cheap solution compared to the svelt rack replacement for Thule. I still would prefer the look of the other, but this just works.

Weird update: at the shop, the head mechanic at Albany Ford Subaru in CA told me that the roof doesnt support the weight rated by the rack. He has seen damage to the structure at 100 lbs. There may have been other factors here like wind, snow, lying customers, but he seems to think that the design is bad post 2009?

Alternately, in Iceland the Outbacks had the euro rail system of the Forester and headlight washers in addition to the coveted 2.0 turbo diesel boxer.

Why I don't own an Outback.

Benny, it seriously crossed my mind when buying. I really hate the stock rack.

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    Weird update: at the shop, the head mechanic at Albany Ford Subaru in CA told me that the roof doesnt support the weight rated by the rack. He has seen damage to the structure at 100 lbs. There may have been other factors here like wind, snow, lying customers, but he seems to think that the design is bad post 2009?.
    I don't think that is true.

Modern cars have a roll cage similar to a NASCAR racer designed in. Look at crash photos of modern cars. The occupants inside are very well protected these days. And the roof racks attach to designed in hard-points in this steel structure.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I don't think that is true.

Modern cars have a roll cage similar to a NASCAR racer designed in. Look at crash photos of modern cars. The occupants inside are very well protected these days. And the roof racks attach to designed in hard-points in this steel structure.
    I truthfully didnt believe him. It is also less about weight and more so force that would impact the pillars or roof of the car. I think he was just being a pain, but even if it has any merit, the factory racks are not versatile and poorly made for multisport use.

Bump

Have my eye on a 2018 outback premier but the roof rack seems to be not as functional as the Limited with very little clearance
    The system on the Limited seems to be better but this thread has me wondering.
    Has the Limited been improved and/or is the premier set up just as good with the need to buy extra accessories ?
    This is all new to me.
    Cheers

There is a real Subaru forum where you might find a wider audience. But TGR amazes.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    There is a real Subaru forum where you might find a wider audience. But TGR amazes.
    Thanks
    I'll check it out.
    Cheers

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/

Keep your stick on the ice, eh?

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/

Keep your stick on the ice, eh?
    LoL
    I'm a goalie so that's an absolute.
    Thanks

So strange that, after all this time, they still have that rack on the Outback as the only option, and none of the other Subarus do. Wtf? If it's so great, why only one car? Weird. Don't they listen to their market?

The stow-able crossbars are nice, but I like my old Thule bar as it just seems more bulletproof. I think it is like #150 rating which seems ok, but just would like a burlier weight rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    I'm a goalie so that's an absolute.
    I knew that. I have Canadian blood in and around me. I went to school for a year in Canada and immersed myself in the people, the beer and white vinegar on fries, so I speak Canadian. And Subaru a bit.

Looking at the Subaru mfg websites I see boxes on Outbacks pictured but not the Premier version. To respond to Benny's question in his language, maybe marketing found that they would sell 20 times more units of the Premier model to opera goers who want to visit their summer homes in Maine than they would to to skiers.

A guy that lives 5 houses down from me has what you want. For the price of a Premier you could have this and a mechanic to build and maintain it. Maybe a different paint scheme would go better in your hood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0742.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	212849

I knew that. I have Canadian blood in and around me. I went to school for a year in Canada and immersed myself in the people, the beer and white vinegar on fries, so I speak Canadian. And Subaru a bit.

Looking at the Subaru mfg websites I see boxes on Outbacks pictured but not the Premier version. To respond to Benny's question in his language, maybe marketing found that they would sell 20 times more units of the Premier model to opera goers who want to visit their summer homes in Maine than they would to to skiers.
    White vinegar on fries...yummy. I believe we inherited that from the Brits but speaking Canadian is difficult to acquire unless you have the gene

As for the Premier I was thinking you're right but this suggests otherwise
    Last edited by Kenny Satch; 09-28-2017 at 03:32 AM.