Workout question - planks?

I have heard that Ab Planks are much more effective than crunches . . . what the hell is are planks?

Should I have someone smash me in the gut over and over with a wooden plank?
    More gauze pads, please hurry!

from a push-up position, rest on your elbows instead of your hands. try and keep your who body straight (don't let your butt sag or point up) and hold it for as long as you can. you can do them for your sides as well which are actually even better for skiing...start by lying on your side. with one hand on the ground and your feet stacked together, raise your hips so your upper body and legs are aligned with the floor at a 30- to 45-degree angle. stretch your free arm toward the ceiling. again try not to let your hip sag or push it up too high, it should be in line with the rest of your body. if you can hold this for a minute, then move on to also extending your free leg about 45 degrees into the air.

also, skiing has done a really good job with their fitness stuff over the last year and they have it all up on their site...

http://www.skiingmag.com/skiing/fitn...21057,,00.html

be careful though, they try to be very nonchalant about these exercises, but my guess that only like 1% of the population could do some of them.

Thanks! (for the explanations AND the fitness hottie)
    More gauze pads, please hurry!

Do front palnks all the time at excercise classes at the beginning of ab workout. To make it harder can lift one leg off ground and hold. Also can do in top of pushup possition rather on elbows.

For side bridge could do off hand but first step would be do with elbow fore arm on mat other hand to ceiling. You can add a rool by taking extended hand and put it around waist and rotate body 90°so looking at floor and then back again.

Another one- cross between pushup and plank. Start in push up position , one arm at a time go down to front plank and then back up again.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Paging Basom! We have a gimp thread voilation

I've been doing those exercise Moats demonstrated fairly regularly now. Don't know if they're helping, but I make sure I keep the magazine open to those pages to remind me of proper form.

edit - somehow I missed that article w/ Aleisha Cline. Gonna have to do those instead of the more normal stuff at the gym.
    Last edited by Big E; 12-17-2004 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gaper
    Thanks! (for the explanations AND the fitness hottie)
    There is no fitness hottie hotter than Denise Austin. I've secretly dreamed of being her workout mat for 15+ years.

http://www.uagrad.org/Alumnus/Winter...in/pilates.jpg