Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks, Harvey!

I agree with you about Hickory, it's a great place.

Obviously, 12 days doesn't make a season, I agree. I think some of that was due to running the lifts for the first time in a few years?

Snowmaking for a park and beginner terrain at the bottom would be a great start though for improvements, especially with a light touch. I don't want to see the pomas go in favor of homogenizing the experience to draw more people. The crowd that appreciates real skiing and snow has to be the fastest growing most enthusiastic segment in the sport. Look at all the new technology like rocker and wide widths and backcountry jib stuff that hickory is perfect for.

I did meet two female ski patrollers that day, Kristin who was kind enough to let us duck the ropes for disconnect as we pleased and someone else on some k2 pow boards that I talked pomas with for awhile.

Anyway, I can't wait for a throwback spring bump day riding pomas and breaking out the longboards!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Nice jibberjabber, the drive is a bit long, but may have to make the trip.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Well done matt... place looks like a real sleeper and a ton of fun...keep your pics coming and hope to link up for some turns sometime soon......
    always forward but never straight

Never been to Hickory, but looks like a cool low key place.. Nice TR.

Always psyched to see people putting up Hickory stoke. My parents were original share holders in the Co-op, and Hickory is where I made my first turns, and had my first season pass (which I think I still have somewhere) in the '82-'83 season. I was two years old and I'd ride the poma and Tbar in between my dad's legs. I only have vague recollections of the mountain, and the lodge, but all my memories are very fond.
    VICTORY!

Wow guys that place looks great, and awesome TR! Really going to try to get out there with you guys!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

I'd check hickory out. Let's invade the place some time.

could always pick a weekend and everyone meet there and INVADE as ISBD put it......could be a happenen sat with skiing good cold beers and a grill going in the parking lot afterwards......just throwing it out there

Given the weather forecast, best be gettin' up there this weekend and/or next; looks like some borderline precip over the next two weeks. Even though my days are already paid for at Magic, I'm seriously considering going both this Saturday and next based on how good it was last weekend.
    If it's too loud, you're too old

Just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to click on this thread. I know it's not the most gnar thing in the forum, but I had a good time and think the place is worth supporting.

I'd be totally down to head up there not this weekend, but the weekend after, snow willing! I think it'd be possible to camp on the premises as well, and I know that you can ski really cheap on sundays after being there on a saturday. It's like one day for $45 and two days for $60? (not seeing that anywhere, but I know I saw it in the past, does anyone have any info?)

thanks again!
    Last edited by ex-powderbroker; 03-15-2011 at 03:08 PM.

If conditions stay good, I'd love to make a trip up before the year is out. I'm in the South through this weekend, but after that, I'd like to try it. GetAmped has been talking it up on his forays over to Magic.

jgb@etree Guest
    Haven't been to Hickory in >10 years, but definitely interested in heading back. Next weekend might work.

May take the boy & little lady up there this Saturday, weather depening.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

ml... hickorychick is Meghan, the other lady patrol.

Hickory would probably let you put the grill right on their deck (parking lot is kinda down the hill). They used to let you cook a hotdog on a stick in that firepit in ml242's pics, but the board o' health got cranky.

Maggot day at Hickory. Hickory would dig it.

even camping in the parking lot if they would let us or somewhere ekse would be good.....good skiing during the day , killer happy hour, slides into dinner, and ends with good beers, good peeps and good lies...........all around a good fire.......

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker/boarder View Post
    even camping in the parking lot if they would let us or somewhere ekse would be good.....good skiing during the day , killer happy hour, slides into dinner, and ends with good beers, good peeps and good lies...........all around a good fire.......
    Can't say I've ever seen anyone camp in the parking lot. Last Saturday it was more than a mess; deep slush with an increasing mud content. If there were enough people it would probably be possible to make some arrangement (on the QT) to use the upper room in the lodge. It used to happen frequently, not so much anymore. But that's where the West Point Cadets have stayed when they came in the last couple of years.

yea, parking lot is kind of a muddy mess. Saw that there were some accommodations called "Hickory Cabins" (?) nearby. Not exactly the four seasons, but probably really cheap. Also the Super 8 in Warresnburg is good for a cheap place to stay.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Excellent TR. It is nice to see these small EC resorts popping up in threads. I grew up near there, in Clifton Park. Never knew the place. It looks fun, and will for sure check it out if I ever happen to be in the area during snow season.

Quote Originally Posted by GetAmped View Post
    The key to Saturday was definitely speed; you wanted to be the hammer, not the nail. Skiing fast and stomping hard made it all give way underneath fairly consistently and, unlike most days at Hickory, there was almost nothing toothy to worry about. I normally expect to put some good dings in my base when I go there, but on Saturday I didn't touch anything but soft, deep snow all day.
    And rockered tips. From your pics/words it sounds like similar conditions that I had over the past few days (although this was mank mank and not a crust). As long I was in the uncut, I actually wished I had been on my Praxis Pows, as they would just slice through that stuff. I was on Wren's, and while the tail did hang up a bit, the rockered tip allowed for easy entry into turns. If I had been on my LPs, it would have been woooork.

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary

i drink your milkshake!

neither of those guys is daniel day lewis.

did i read that right... you were up there on a school day? RARITY!

good work.
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

Went to Hickory on Saturday hoping it would warm up enough to soften up for a nice day of creamy corn. And Ridge Run offered up plenty of servings to the mob of 25 that came to ski that day. But I don't go there for lazy runs on the Ridge, so I was determined to get whatever I could out of Winfall with the idea that each trip down would be better than the previous one.

Basking in the late morning sun at the lodge, the day seemed to be primed for perfect spring conditions, but it was mostly an illusion. On the upper mountain, temperatures didn't rise much above 40 degrees and a light but persistent breeze dissipated the heat from the sun. Anything in the shade (the Hare, for example) was punishingly firm; huge mounds of snow invited you to come and play, but yielded edgable, tooth chattering coral reef that grudgingly gave up a bare dusting of snow with each turn.

The top headwall on Winfall was a mountain goat track of firm bumps, exposed rock formations and frozen water features but still had multiple lines with complete snow coverage. Excellent coverage to the rock ledges with plenty of snow to the right (no hucking them on this day), to reach the meadow and the lower headwall, the pay-off for the day. While it never quite got to the soft corn stage, it did soften up enough to peel up the top layer with each turn, smoothing out the coral reefiness. As it got skied more by the 10 or so people on the trail all day, it did get better with each lap. And the apres-ski beers on the deck in the late afternoon sun were as good as any I've had recently.

Considering how much snow is still up there, and that it is currently snowing hard in upstate NY, next Saturday is looking like another chance for a great day at Hickory.

Sunday skied about the same. Ridge Run and the lower mountain were carvy, but the upper mountain steeps never totally softened. Seemed like temps were in the lower to mid 40s. I wasn't aware that a breeze could make a difference, but that totally makes sense.

I had the same feeling about Winfall. It gets more sun than any of the other steeps, so i gave it a shot in the early afternoon. I did ok on it - I'm amazed at where bigger boards (90mm) are taking me this year. Sounds like GetAmped is a strong skier.

Patroller Kristin (from the original post) and her son were running laps on Winfall like that was just what you do.

Does look like Hick is in the game for next weekend, and possibly beyond, if management choose to go that way.

BTW great to ski with ml242 at Platty on Friday. He rips. That was a top day this year for sure.

Bumping this because I think if anyone is looking for a place to ski tomorrow in NY, Hickory is the place.

Nice bump. I know of at least 1/2 dozen Magic regulars who will be up there tomorrow.

Hickory must be looking SO good right now!!

God that place is awesome.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

How did I miss this TR? I gazed upon Hickory one year upon my trip to Gore. It piqued my interest...this TR really gets me interested. I love mom-and-pop hills. Too bad I'm in Balmer.