Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My car sh*t the bed...

...in Dixon, IL while I was driving from CT to Denver. I am now holed up in the Hampton Inn - Aurora waiting until someone qualified can look at it. Until that happens I will settle for the diagnoses of the collective internet genius of you fine folks, be you qualified or not.

First of all, the car in question is a 2002 Toyota 4Runner w/4WD and an automatic transmission. Here's what happened:

I was happily driving along with the cruise control set at about 75 mph when, all of a sudden, the car red-lined. First, I tapped the brakes to shut off the cruise and get the engine to stop bouncing off the rev limiter. Then I pulled over, stopped, and tried to get it back into gear. Nothing doing. Also, whenever I goosed the gas a bit and the RPMs went up, I'd hear a little metallic rattling coming from below and slightly in front of the shifter. The car also seemed to creep a little when idling in Drive. Not as much as it normally would, but a little. Next, when I turned off the car, I could not longer get it started. I could clearly hear the starter spinning but the engine did not turn over. I also heard more metallic grinding and rattling when attempting to restart it. Lastly, the tow truck operator noted that Park would not hold the vehicle in place.

Those symptoms tell me a couple things:

1. Something in my drivetrain between the engine and the rear wheels failed abruptly and catastrophically.
    2. Whatever failed made it impossible for the starter to engage the flywheel and turn the engine over.

To me and my minimal drivetrain troubleshooting skills, this seems more like a flywheel/torque converter issue than an actual transmission/transfer case problem (fingers crossed), but I have zero experience with how either type of problem manifests itself so what do I know.

So, I have a few questions: Anyone got any ideas about what's wrong with my car? How long will I be stuck in Illinois? How many beers will it take to drown my sorrows?
    If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid.

- Eddie Izzard

Sounds like the tranny busted. I'd say a good idea for the moment would be to hit up some 4runner forums for advice. That's definitely a tough situation, hope it gets sorted out.

Drifting in park or not engaging in Park sure sounds like Transmission problem and then some. What about timing chain on those letting go? As for how long you'll be in Illinois, that may really depend on the size of the town and if any qualified shops are going to be able to look at it and give you an estimate on Monday (assuming Sunday is a loss if it is a Tranny job and maybe more engine damage due to not starting either.)

Hugh Conway Guest
    Get yourself a bluesmobile, Elwood

Ten minutes ago I finished up throwing a new front cv axle into my wife's Gen 4 2003 4runner. Pretty easy job, I'd done the other side last year so I feel like a pro at those now but I still don't know shit about the tranny beyond where to oil and lube it.

At first I was thinking you just dropped your drive axle but then the whole starter whirling thing kind of throws that out. Someone else lost a tranny on a Gen 3 on here recently. Seems like he had a similar experience to yours. Good luck brother.

Could be the flex-plate/flywheel broke. Strange that it would happen while cruising down the highway but possible.

As to how long to fix it? Dunno, sorry. Depends on the mechanics available in your area but if it's just the flex-plate it shouldn't take more than a day or two.

I had a flex-plate break on a '65 Chevy Malibu. Made a helluva racket but at least on that old car it was ridiculously easy to fix.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Say hi to Wayne and Garth for me. Make sure you pay a visit to Stan Mikita's Donuts and enjoy your time in "the city of lights".

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    What about timing chain on those letting go?
    The engine seemed to operate completely normally after the failure until I turned it off after pulling over. I think that would preclude the timing being part of the problem, would it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Could be the flex-plate/flywheel broke. Strange that it would happen while cruising down the highway but possible.
    I was driving against a very stiff and constant head wind and, while I can't remember for sure, the gas may have kicked in to accelerate the car when the failure occurred. That after driving the first 800 miles or so of my trip with two kayaks on the roof, also in some strong winds at times. Although it occurs to me that this car was design to tow 5000 lbs and that a stiff headwind could not produce a load like that, might that make it a little more plausible?

Quote Originally Posted by Ver iz ze money LePowski? View Post
    Say hi to Wayne and Garth for me. Make sure you pay a visit to Stan Mikita's Donuts and enjoy your time in "the city of lights".
    I knew I had heard of this town before, but could not for the life of me figure out where. There's one of my problems solved. Now go hunt down a cheap tranny for me.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Feel free to keep throwing other ideas out there. Just having some idea of what I could be facing here will help keep me sane until Monday. Off to find some Toyota truck forums...

- Eddie Izzard

If the timing chain had gone the engine would not have continued running. It sounds like the tranny but the fact that it wouldn't restart is troublesome, I would ask here. ih8mud is a heavily moderated forum but there are a lot of very helpful people on there, some of whom are located near you.

edit: You might want to post something in Chit Chat in case anyone can recommend a mechanic near you.
    Last edited by Trainwreck; 03-13-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Your tranny shit the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    If the timing chain had gone the engine would not have continued running. It sounds like the tranny but the fact that it wouldn't restart is troublesome, I would ask here. ih8mud is a heavily moderated forum but there are a lot of very helpful people on there, some of whom are located near you.
    Moderated, eh? So you're saying I shouldn't post nekkid pics of my girlfriend in hopes of getting better/faster help?

Thanks, I'll try there. I posted on Yotatech, but haven't gotten anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    For sure? I've pretty much accepted that that's the case, but I'd be curious which piece of info confirms that for you. It just seems pretty crazy to me that it could fail so abruptly without any sign of a problem beforehand. From what I know, most transmissions will display symptoms of a problem before totally crapping out.

- Eddie Izzard

Well that's what you get for fucking some dude in the ass I guess.

Pro tip: No chicks with dicks.

Gen 3 (96-03) 3.4 has a timing belt

Yota Yard (303) 292-5078

Those trannies are pretty tough--don't be afraid of a salvage unit

Or PM me if you want a referral for a dealer installed re-built

A wealth of knowledge...http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/

Also, 3rd generation 4Runners with Automatic transmissions have a notorious radiator problem, unaddressed can cause transmission failures. This is my guess:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...milkshake.html

Glad I have a 5 speed. Best of luck.

mine went out right after a snowy drive home, got soo lucky to poop out in driveway.
    tranny replacement cost 3k, get truck back tomorrow.
    bobby

Probably whacked the crank angle sensor with pieces of flywheel...and maybe something additional with the tranny too.

1. take cap off radiator, is it pink or coolant colord?

2. Take tranny fluid dipstick out, normal color, smell, any metal?

3. Look under the car, will it move in 4x4?
    Most likely all good there, these cars don't explode trannys..

They don't explode engines either..
    Any check engine lights?

Since the engine ran when the issue occurred, it shouldn't be that.

In conclusion, its the flywheel (its actually called a flex plate on automatics), thats what the parking pawl engages, and what the starter spins to make the engine start. I have heard of runners doing this before (if I recall a new model of the 3rd gen). Just did some searching, they do break, rarely though. But I am fairly confident this is your issue, all posters had symptoms just like yours. Most were actually on the highway too.

Make sure you tow it with the TRANSFER CASE in neutral, then you wont be making the tranny move, hopefully saving some part of it that may not be impacted.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Heres the part for 10 bucks

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2125251

If you can drop the tranny yourself (doubt it but hey its not TOO hard...) It should be a fairly simple fix.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/...a340f/remo.pdf

If you read step 18, I think, from what I read (quickly) that you can remove that plate to get a good look in there...
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post

Any check engine lights?

In conclusion, its the flywheel (its actually called a flex plate on automatics), thats what the parking pawl engages, and what the starter spins to make the engine start. I have heard of runners doing this before (if I recall a new model of the 3rd gen). Just did some searching, they do break, rarely though. But I am fairly confident this is your issue, all posters had symptoms just like yours. Most were actually on the highway too.

Make sure you tow it with the TRANSFER CASE in neutral, then you wont be making the tranny move, hopefully saving some part of it that may not be impacted.
    Already towed.
    I'd call the flywheel part of the tranny.

You=trying to prove how smaart you are=fail.....lol

Already towed.

Nkt trying to be a smartass, just helpful. I guess I could have just left it with
    "shits broke!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post

Any check engine lights?

1. Can't tell about the coolant. It must be a little low. Guess I should have checked that before I left. Not smart. Regardless, the car did not overheat.

2. I checked that. It's still red. Maybe a little brownish. Smells normal and no metal flecks. Would it smell burnt or metallic if the tranny exploded?

3. Not sure. Car is at the shop.

No check engine lights.

Thanks, this give me some hope. I appreciate you taking the time to research it a bit. I should have the verdict from the shop this morning. Fingers crossed...

Already towed.

You just fucking with him, right? I mean, his response was about 1,000 times more helpful than your's.

- Eddie Izzard

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernSpotted... View Post

You just fucking with him, right? I mean, his response was about 1,000 times more helpful than your's.
    considering your truck is at the shop, I'd ask them what they think. that might be helpful since they're the ones fixing it.

were you hoping someone here would tell you to push the magic super fix it button under the dash?

For anyone who's curious, my crankshaft snapped between the engine block and the flex plate. I need a new engine or a new car. I can buy a '95 Tahoe w/109K for $1,500 plus my crapped out car, or have the 4Runner fixed for $3500-4000. I would not keep either car. I'd get to Denver and probably sell the Tahoe privately or trade in the 4Runner. It's a numbers game at this point. It all comes down to what $$ I can net out of either one. I think that's a wash so it comes down to what's easier for me, and that would be the Tahoe. Anyone think that's a bad move?

were you hoping someone here would tell you to push the magic super fix it button under the dash?
    ^^^ Yes, that's what I was hoping for, fuckhead. I posted this before ANYONE could look at my car. I was looking for thoughts, not a miracle. I'm pretty sure you know that, though, and are just trying entertain yourself at someone else's expense (as usual) while pretending to be a good guy in real life. Maybe you are. I don't give shit. Your're the worst kind of asshole around here.

And yes, I'm a little "butthurt" today. You should still go fuck yourself.

- Eddie Izzard

Damn, sorry to hear that outcome. If you had the cash ($4k) which option would result in a car that goes longer? I am more inclined to fix what I have, than buy someone elses problem. Can you get an engine from a junk yard for way less?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.