Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski Monkey
    For the mtn climbing jongs, what is the degree of difficulty in climbing and summiting the matterhorn? Looks pretty gnarly.
    Dog route Is reasonably straight forward usually with a guide client ratio of 1:1. The overnight is at a hut so nice light packs. It needs some rock and alpine experience but nothing huge unless you're thinking of going unguided.

These guys are great if you're interested - http://www.cosleyhouston.com/home.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke
    Glad you liked it. I'd like to think if the pilot saw people on the mountain he'd not fly like that.
    I'm fairly sure I saw one person on the mountain, but not positive because he was in brown and when the helicopter passed by the interlacing was severe enough that I couldn't make a positive ID and I'm not sure why a climber would have been there.

If I were on the mountain and got buzzed by a chopper that close, I'd have to restrain my impulse to toss rocks. I wouldn't actually throw, but the thought would cross my mind.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke
    I'd like to think if the pilot saw people on the mountain he'd not fly like that.
    Just because you would like to think that doesn't make it true.

I'm sure flying near a mountain as stunning as that is cool experience and no doubt everyone appreciates the opportunity to see what you saw by means of a video.

Every heli pilot I've ever seen loves the performance of their machines so much that they don't pay as much concern to the natural aspects of their surroundings like whether anything would mind if they leave noise behind. I've been with ones that go and buzz mountain goats on a ridge just because they can and they want to get a better look. SAR pilots sometimes go and land near a camp to ask where the injured climber is, but land so close to someone's campsite that hasn't been prepared for their arrival, that things blow away or tents are on the verge of collapse.

While I might not have brought up the subject of the impact of a flight around the peak, after having been on the receiving end of near fly-bys, I can surely sympathize with how a climber would react if one were there.

Wow, that's a big mountain. Sweet video, it's hard to appreciate it the thing from the one picture I always see of it.