Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    We usually have prime rib. Blows turkey out of the water. Now I'm hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by optics
    Substitutes: Pont-l'Evêque OR Brie OR Beaumont OR Esrom OR Beaufort OR tomme (nuttier taste) OR raclette OR Port Salut OR fontina
    Nice, thanks.

Looks excellent.

I'm planning on lomo & a nice malbec.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    ah-HAH! I found it. Tartiflette. Now to look for a recipe...
    Check it out -http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/mdc/l/fr/recettes/tartiflette_ill.html

Reblochon cheese, bacon, potatoes and cream baked until oozing. About 2,000 cals/plate The basic lunch in the restos on the hill around Les Gets/Avoriaz in the northern French alps. killer

Quote Originally Posted by SnowyOwl
    Check it out -http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/mdc/l/fr/recettes/tartiflette_ill.html

Reblochon cheese, bacon, potatoes and cream baked until oozing. About 2,000 cals/plate The basic lunch in the restos on the hill around Les Gets/Avoriaz in the northern French alps. killer
    Oh yummy - sounds like a "heart attack on a plate." Mebbe that's where Splat's heart-attack-during-Christmas factoid comes from

Here's another good one. I've made this one - it's fantastic:

SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH GOAT CHEESE AND HERBES DE PROVENCE

The blend of dried herbs known as herbes de Provence usually consists of basil, thyme, rosemary and oregano. Sometimes lavender is also included, which adds a flavor that is the most evocative of Provence. An accomaniment to Herb-and Spice-roasted Beef Tenderloin with Red Wine-Shallot Sauce.
    Sharpen your chopping and mincing skills with our technique video.

1 1/2 cups whipping cream
    1 1/2 cups canned chicken broth
    1 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup minced shallots
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    4 teaspoons herbes de Provence*
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 10 1/2- to 11-ounce log soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
    4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced

*A dried herb mixture available at specialty foods stores and some supermarkets.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Mix first 7 ingredients in large pot. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Add half of cheese; whisk until smooth. Chill remaining cheese. Add potatoes to pot; bring to simmer.

Transfer potato mixture to prepared dish, spreading evenly. Cover with foil; bake 15 minutes. Uncover and bake until potatoes are very tender and liquid bubbles thickly, about 50 minutes.

Dot potatoes with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese softens, about 5 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.

Serves 8.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by SnowyOwl
    Check it out Just making it clickable

...hey, that's in French! Not a problem for the brilliant iceman, but some of the losers around here...I dunno.

I found the same exact page in English earlier, so no worries.
    Last edited by iceman; 12-16-2004 at 03:58 PM.

We're doing my family's Swedish Smorgasbord. It's been done for 4 generations since the family was fresh off the boat. Everything is homemade and it rules!

Appetizers:
    Mini Quiche
    Stuffed Mushrooms
    Bondost cheese and Rye crisps
    Relish tray
    Deviled Eggs

Dinner:
    Ham
    Potato Sausage
    Swedish Meatballs
    Rice Pudding
    My Mom's Midwest Christmas Jello Mold
    Lefse
    Cardamom Coffee Cake
    Limpa Bread
    Green Salad
    Boiled Potatoes

Dessert:
    Krumkake
    Spritz Cookies
    Glogg

Quote Originally Posted by LAN
    We're doing my family's Swedish Smorgasbord. It's been done for 4 generations since the family was fresh off the boat. Everything is homemade and it rules!
    That looks mighty tasty. What time should I plan on being there?

Quote Originally Posted by LAN
    Used to date a Swede - Christmas Eve saw an amazing spread of food. Bit of a problem for me since meat is off limits for Catholics but somehow I managed
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by KQ
    Used to date a Swede - Christmas Eve saw an amazing spread .... Bit of a problem for me since meat is off limits for Catholics but somehow I managed

(ten characters)
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Used to date a Swede - Christmas Eve saw an amazing spread of food. Bit of a problem for me since meat is off limits for Catholics but somehow I managed
    What diocese do you live in, cause the archbishop there needs to be taken out and shot! No meat on Christmas Eve. I've never heard of that.

When my parents were growing up, it was no meat on Fridays and none during Lent (no meat for a month, I would die). Thankfully the Church dumped the year long requirement and switched to just no meat on Fridays during Lent. But Christmas Eve too? I would convert.

My grandfather had the best philosophy on all of this: "Do you honestly think God cares what you eat?" Of course that didn't stop my grandmother from refusing to cook meat on the requisite days. So it remained just a philosophy.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50
    What diocese do you live in, cause the archbishop there needs to be taken out and shot! No meat on Christmas Eve. I've never heard of that.

When my parents were growing up, it was no meat on Fridays and none during Lent (no meat for a month, I would die). Thankfully the Church dumped the year long requirement and switched to just no meat on Fridays during Lent. But Christmas Eve too? I would convert.

My grandfather had the best philosophy on all of this: "Do you honestly think God cares what you eat?" Of course that didn't stop my grandmother from refusing to cook meat on the requisite days. So it remained just a philosophy.

Oh yeah - I'm with you. These are all man made rules. I'm sure God couldn't give a rat's ass but you know how it is...these things get pounded into your head for so long that soon you just do it out of reflex.

I'm stilling working on it, but it will be traditional. Here's the rough draft:

Hor d’oeuvres
    Caviar on pastry
    Anchovy toasts
    Proscuitto-wrapped figs with stilton
    Crab potstickers with sesame ginger dipping sauce
    COCKTAILS

Soup
    Cream of wild mushroom soup with steamed milk
    MORGAN, 2003 PINOT GRIS

Salad
    Baby green salad with Maytag blue cheese and pepitas

Entrée 1st
    Crab cakes with roasted red pepper and wasabi cream sauces
    IRON HORSE, 1997 CLASSIC VINTAGE BRUT

Releve
    Raspberry sorbet

Entrée 2nd
    Rib roast with pink peppercorn crust and a red wine pan sauce
    Roasted fingerling potatoes with creamed leeks
    Sauteed haricots verts with red peppers and pine nuts
    DON MIGUEL GASCON, 2003 MALBEC

Dessert
    Boule-de-neige
    GRAHAMS, 1998 LBV PORT

I'm sorry, what did you just say. I was trying to say the rosary and read the board at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    Proscuitto-wrapped figs with stilton
    I have always wanted to try this. As I understand, you toss this in the oven just long enought to melt the cheese and slightly warm the rest. Right?

I love proscuitto. Sliced super thin and wrapped around either cantaloupe or breadsticks. And my grandmother has the absolute best figs in the world growing in her back yard. So this would be yummmay!!!
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

No meat on Christmas eve? I was raised very Catholic (but it didn't stick) and I never heard of that.

Funny, I don't really recall no meat on christmas eve either. I do remember dinner was always around 10pm, then off to be censorboy at midnight mass. Just a ploy to get us kids to sleep in past 6am...

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    No meat on Christmas eve? I was raised very Catholic (but it didn't stick) and I never heard of that.

I think, perhaps, it's more of an "old world" custom - none-the-less it was observed in our very Irish Catholic household.

If you Google meat+"christmas eve" you'll get a number of hits that discuss this custom.