Hey Owens (or other Girdwood mags)

This will be a long stretch, but here goes.

Once upon a time, there was a bar in the daylodge, and it was called the daylodge bar. The bar, as many bars do, had a bartender. And this bartender went by the name of Daylodge Don. Now, Daylodge Don is long buried, his ticker did him in. But ere that happened, he was the man of the hour every Sunday Morning.

For Daylodge Don made a mean Ramos Fizz.

It was the genuine article, patented cure, guaranteed to get you back on your skis regardless of the pounding in your head that told you that one should never drink past 2am on a powderstorm night.

I need the recipe.

It took eggs, vodka and orange flower water, that I recall. From there, I cannot say. Bur perhaps there is someone who kept the lore still alive...Dave Marshall maybe or Jim Kennedy?

Don Hageland would know. I'll ask him the next time I see him...
    When you're feeling down, just remember: It's always darkest before it goes pitch .... fucking.... black.

He's still alive? Someone told he was dead. My apologies to him...I certainly didn't mean to bury him before his time.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    He's still alive? Someone told he was dead. My apologies to him...I certainly didn't mean to bury him before his time.
    Hageland will never die. He's 75, still on active pro patrol and eats at least 6 cigars a day. He can't smoke 'em anymore so he chews them. He can still fully drink me under the table.
    When you're feeling down, just remember: It's always darkest before it goes pitch .... fucking.... black.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    I need the recipe.
    we ALL need the recipe

Hey Owen you know any of these people?

Big Dave - 7 glaciers bartender (maybe former bartender) and oldschool monoboarder

Luke Peroni - F&B director of Alyeska Resort

Michael Flynn - Bake Shop owner

Jens Nannestad - owner of Southside Bistro in Anchorage

Oh and BTW, you ever try Jerry's insanity sauce at the Taco stand at the end of town?

If you're gonna talk Alaskan history (recent), you can't leave the (old) Birdhouse.

Ramos Gin Fizz

2 oz. Gin, 2 oz. Cream, 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice, 1/2 oz. fresh lime juice, 2 drops orange blossom water, 1 tsp. powdered sugar, egg white, Club Soda

Put in blender with cracked ice, or shake long and steady. Put in a tall glass & add a squirt of Club Soda. Garnish with an Orange Slice.

There was a bartender named Don, he died along with his secret recipe! His limit was 2, once I managed to drink a third-dont remember much after that! I do know that his recipe was one with an egg white in it--Ramos fizz's - so I've been told are commonly served in New Orleans--perhaps there are some mags around from the Big Easy!
    There is another Don Haglund, a local legend, known as Haggie- His official quitting party was about 3 weeks ago--He'll still be around though, after 40 years as a pro-patroller, He was presented with a lifetime seasons pass! ( whatta gift-since over 70folks can by a pass for 50bucks!)
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Svengali, that would put you in Girdwood around my days - early 1980s? I remember Haggie and his cigars. It was he, Marshall and Reid Bahnson who patched me up after a bad fall in 1985. Somehow I talked them out of a sled ride and telemarked slowly off the mountain, only to find out my leg was broken...

Yes, 2 was the limit and it was usually enough. I've seen other Ramos Fizz recipes, though they have never lived up to Daylodge Don's.

Svengali killed Daylodge Don Hageland AGAIN!!

Don "Haggie" Haglund is alive and well! though his favorite cocktail is tomato juice and tequila------the "Daylodge Don"in question is unfortunately dead and buried(I did'nt do it!)I'll try to find out what his full name was----They are/were two differant people
    Grrr. yup I was around then, in fact, I still am!
    Dave and Reid are still around but no longer with the patrol-I guess they've "evolved"
    Last edited by Svengali; 12-17-2004 at 01:42 PM.
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

AKPM----> So out of the loop right now

when did they open north face?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care