Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    This goes to show how quickly things go wrong. I've only been in one major avalanche incedent (nobody died), but it was an eye opener as to how quickly bad things happen. It made me realize that I should be more focussed and discuss what could go wrong and what the group is going to do about it well before the skiing starts. Now, I always discuss a simple plan of attack with the group before skiing something and make sure everyone is on the same plane. It's good to initiate these discussions because it brings up lots of questions that some people might have thought stupid to ask or offer another thought which clarifies exactly what's about to happen.

Sometimes people get overcome with powder intoxication and don't follow the plan, like only 1 skier on a slope at a time, so you always have to be aware of what's going on when the skiing starts and have that island of safety mapped out well in advance.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

we did a line skiers right of the aviy site this afternoon its pretty benign on that part of tom george till you get into that gully , we could even see the marker stick for the heli right on flat ground and just 50 meters away is the gulley

almost a meter of snow since we came in friday and not much has slid so conservative skiing

^^^ Have fun up there and bag a peak or two for us, would you?
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Have a good one Al, say hi to Christoph and Monika for me!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Late addition to the thread, but I am a grateful reader

I'll start by introducing myself, Brenda and I were pretty tight over the past 32 years. She was more than my bestest ski buddy, upon reflection, I see her influences in all sorts of things in my life. She was my best friend.
    I am an avid skier, but my life didn't have room for the commitment of backcountry. In the old days, B and I ducked ropes and did all sorts of foolish things in pursuit of freshies, but that practice we abandoned years ago in respect of the mountains and the community which advocates safe play in them.
    My daughters have learned this respect, and would never consider "borrowing" someones' backpack (full of gear) to ski slightly off piste. Never would they rent a backpack at a staging site and treat this playground with irreverence by assuming a waiver could replace training.
    So to all backcountry skiers, snowshoe enthusiasts and those of us who choose to take risks in our mountain playgrounds, take what you can from this, I'm certain there are lessons somewhere, but let the joy and love remain. There's alot more great days out there.
    Lots of questions were answered for me, and I thank you most sincerely for your account of this day. Peace to you, 4th skier I have never met, and thank you for doing your very best for those people on the mountain. Its a big universe and she found a way to let me know she's shining bright...
    A memorial in the mountains is in our minds, and as I am not part of this community, I hope this an appropriate forum to get in touch with interested folks.
    Peace to all.
    Respectfully yours,
    Jackie

sorry for your loss ,sent you a PM jackiegirl

forest Guest
    Thanks for sharing that. There is a lot we can learn from your description. The discussion on the beacon failure is concerning me as I have the same model and it has always worked flawlessly.

hey there forest. I have the same beacon too and was also concerned. I took the beacon out with fresh batteries and left it outside (in minus 20deg) in search mode for 15 mins. It dropped from 99% to 88%. I'm hoping it was just a freak occurrence

Jackie, sorry to hear about your friend.

Shorty, good job under horrible circumstances, thanks for sharing and answering questions.

Heartbreaking. Reading it brought tears of sadness for those lost and for your courage in the face of extreme adversity. I have zero backcountry experience and this reminds of what I don't know...so I guess I'm smart enough to know that. Deepest vibes and compassion to the victims, their families and you and the other survivor. All I know, is you proved yourself to be a person of incredible character and fortitude when the odds were stacked against you. To also share your experience and open it up to dissection is admirable. I'm happy your alive and have the deepest respect for you and your actions.

Hi Jackie... check your PM's... I sent you a message re: a memorial for Brenda.

Regarding my beacon, I've been in contact with the BC coroners service and they are going to have my beacon tested by an independent source yet to be determined. If and when I hear about the results I will post them here.

This happened 1 year ago today.

I woke up having very strange dreams of natural disaster/life saving sort of stuff and it only took me a few minutes to make the connection as to why I might be having dreams like that.

RIP Ray and Brenda.

Thanks for sharing your experience Shorty, I somehow missed this post last year. You did one hell of a good job.

Wow. Tomorrow is 4 years. Hard to believe.

RIP Brenda and Ray.

Read the story for the first time today. Powerful stuff man. Brought up a lot of stuff I haven't thought about before

Very powerful read, good on you for being able to get it out so succinctly.

Vibes for Ray and Brenda.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.