Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I have wilderness first aid and CPR…required for my summer work. Wilderness expires this year, and I’m debating if I should upgrade to Wilderness first responder. Can’t imagine going out without them.

EMT-I, I get to use it quite a bit now.

I'm a certified CPR/BLS instructor, so if any of the Utards want to get together and re-certify or start new, maybe I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Xover: as a completely lay person or even lay resucer, what choice did he have that point since he had no way to summoning definitive care or evac further on his own without leaving?
    Sum,

Based on your credentials above, I would expect that you could offer up more suggestions than me - but since you specifically asked me - as a "lay" person not knowing anything about head injuries (now that I've heard the rest of the story) it sounds like he did almost the best thing (i.e. leaving him with others - that didn't sound like they knew much more about head injuries than he did - to go for professional help himself).

Other possible, and probably slightly better responses could be if its a "popular" trail wait just a few minutes for someone else to come by and send them for help or if you are within cell range and have it on you, call.

Just my $0.02. Any other ideas??
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

I think ja_surf did the right thing given the situation.

He made sure his unconscious friend kept an open airway and waited until he was conscious befor attempting to move him. Always assume a cervical injury is present with an unconscious person until proven other wise. I'm not sure if he knew how to check for this or if he did or did not check for cervical injury.

The got his firend to safety and had other watch him until he got help. Not sure what else he could have done.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

EMT-D
    CPR

Very important that if you in the bc that you know CPR. Its an easy class, just do it.

EMT-B(when the test results come back)
    CPR
    My Montana has an East Infection

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    My CPR took a whopping hour and a half (I don't know how people extend it to 5 hours...). I'm taking an EMT-B class now and will take the registry exam in the spring. DEFINITELY want to get at least Avi-I by next winter and add the W to my title.

Summit is 1337...

Hows the job, man? Work that 48 hour stretch yet?
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

Any one ever take training from WMI?? if so would you recommend them

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/wemt.shtml

I got my Level 1 Avy certification last weekend! (which means I know a little more, but I still don't know much)

I let my accidentally let my ALCS lapse (oops!), but I'll be getting that back in January. They need to update ALCS protocol anyways--they still don't have vasopressin for asystole. Slowpokes.

EDIT: I'm not sure how much ACLS helps in a backcountry situation anyways. The BCLS portion is useful, but I don't really carry meds, intubation equipment, AEDs, etc. with me anywhere. Precoridial thump, anyone?
    Last edited by SLCFreshies; 12-17-2004 at 10:45 AM.

It sounds like we are all in agreement that jasurf did the right thing.

OT: I also think communications are as important as medical skills. I think (and so does Lou Dawson if that means more than my opinion) everyone who is reguarly in the BC should pass the HAM Technician test and get a 5W 2m/70cm HT ($200). They are oustanding for group communications which are vital to avoid dangerous situations in the first place. I've even been able to talk to towers 20mi away LOS and in an emergency these can contact radio repeaters (you can talk to the entire state from many mountains) and in some areas they can talk to the local dispatch center (in an emergency only) to allow you to summon backcountry rescue. At the very least everyone in a group should have a quality 1W GMRS/FRS radio ($30-$60) and know how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Gosey
    Hows the job, man? Work that 48 hour stretch yet?
    I like the new job. My first call was weird. I work another 48hr and a 24 next week.

Kickin ass in your class still I hope?

Now it's time to ski!
    Last edited by Summit; 12-17-2004 at 11:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ja_surf
    Any one ever take training from WMI?? if so would you recommend them

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/wemt.shtml
    It's NOLS so it's probably pretty good.

These people are oustanding too: http://www.desertmountainmedicine.com/
    I took my WEMT through them.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.