Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Maggot quoted in SKI magazine?

I was at the doctors office recently and picked up a SKI magazine as it was the only semi-snow sport related piece of paper in the office. Reading through, I come upon an article "The Arrogance of Risk" by John Fry. Upon reading the article (which rails against risk taking), I encounter the following quote, which I wrote down to bring home...

"'Why not just leave it up to people's own choice' asks Owen, a young extreme skier I encountered in an online forum and who proved to be the personification of what has gone haywire. 'Hell, if they get caught, it's there [sic problem.' Hello out there, Mom and Dad, have you talked recently with Own?"

(italics from the articles)

Is this a maggot? Kinda sounds like one...

sounds like a stupid article, what issue was it?

It was a stupid article. I think it had a red skier on the front... [rumages through the pile of magazines to find the ski from the free subscription posted awhile back...]

January 05.

I'm having a little trouble figuring out what to make of the quote since we have basically no context to go on. And I'm not buying SKI just to find out, I can tell you that.

The article is pure one-sided BS editorial.
    The quote reads as above. There's no more clues as to whether it came from here or not. It wouldn't surprise me if the author made it up. He makes some valid, if not obvious, points in the article, but they're lost in his spew.
    He in effect chastizes the film companies because they "glamorize risky descents of hazardous, boulder-strewn slopes."
    Here's another quote:
    "In Europe, the injured or lost must pay the cost for their rescue. It's long past the time when the U.S. should do the same. By the way, trained rescue crews don't set out on snowboards to save lost snowboarders. They use something sensible: skis. Five thousand years ago, even early Homo sapiens knew that two boards are better for traveling through the snowy wilds in winter."

WTF??

The article is exactly what you'd expect from SKI.

The logical extension of that line of argument being that we should all give up skiing and get on snowmobiles...

Quote Originally Posted by bad_roo
    The logical extension of that line of argument being that we should all give up skiing and get on snowmobiles...
    how true, how true.......

Quote Originally Posted by bad_roo
    Screw that. We should all sit in a nice warm lodge sipping hot toddies. Why go outside and risk getting hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD
    Screw that. We should all sit in a nice warm lodge sipping hot toddies. Why go outside and risk getting hurt?
    And risk death on the drive to the lodge!?!?! You do what you want crazy man, I'm staying home.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

I think John Fry is the guy who wrote the article in the now (mercifully) dead "Snow Country", titled "Its OK to Skid". The thrust of the article was that you don't need to push yourself to improve. What a dick.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I read the same article and came away with a slightly different take. I think he was arguing against risk without responsibility. Such as the act of leaving the boundary of a ski resort and heading into the back country without avi gear or enough experience and then expecting someone else to put themselves at risk to save their sorry ass.Relative to the cliff jumping etc. his point was certain magazines portray this as the norm encouraging the underskilled to try the same stuff. The emergency rooms of hospitals located near ski areas are full of knuckleheads who were operating way beyond their capabilities.

I think most knuckleheads that end up in the ER do a fine job of operating beyond their capabilities inbounds.

As for his statement that US riders should pay their own cost as is done in Europe - LAME! What should really happen is the US should have insurance like in Europe specifically for the sports of skiing aand snowboarding for $50/year. Carte Niege - don't go east without it.

This guy risks warm bukakke spew from above.
    "I smell varmint puntang."

Quote Originally Posted by FNG
    The whelk is watching him.

And you. of course.

Quote Originally Posted by jibij
    "In Europe, the injured or lost must pay the cost for their rescue.
    Except when you pay the pittance some for a Carte neige, then it's all paid for. Same old retarded argument, same crappy ski magazine.

I didn't post it to extol the virtues of SKI - its obviously a piece of shit. I was just wondering if this happened to be a familiar Owens?

Quote Originally Posted by FNG
    Who? John Fry or seldon?
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by seldon
    I didn't post it to extol the virtues of SKI - its obviously a piece of shit. I was just wondering if this happened to be a familiar Owens?
    I don't believe Owens is a young extreme skier....

I'm curious as to how the writer knew the person on the forum was either "young" or "extreme" if he just met him through a forum .

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by seldon
    I'm curious as to how the writer knew the person on the forum was either "young" or "extreme" if he just met him through a forum .
    You really can tell from someone's posts. For example, I can tell FNG is young, BakerBoy is extreme, and you are extremely young. See? Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by phUnk
    You really can tell from someone's posts. For example, I can tell FNG is young, BakerBoy is extreme, and you are extremely young. See? Easy.
    But who's the extremo dude?

If you were a detective would you be Dick phUnk?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by truth
    If you were a detective would you be Dick phUnk?
    Your post's proximity to seldon's is sapping the funny, frankly.

Your post's proximity to seldon's is sapping the funny, frankly.
    But he was insulated by your quote, thus I found it quite humorous.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy
    But he was insulated by your quote, thus I found it quite humorous.
    Being the Amazing Internet vibe picker-upper I can definatley tell you're "extreme"

Edited because I can tell truth is rad.
    Last edited by Duker; 12-16-2004 at 11:37 PM.