Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battle Abbey - Selkirks BC

Shar and I spent a week at Battle Abbey touring and skiing.

Before I start posting pictures of meadowskipping pow let me start with some pretty hut and mountain pictures and go from there.

Heli access

Moby Dick mountain moonrise

Hut night shot - looking westward

More here - http://www.leelau.net/sharonandlee/b...ntro-and-info/

ok ... where's the meadow skipping ???
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

I opened this thread for a couple scenery shots ...

come on Lee where is the meadow skipping and pics of inter web slutting in the hut
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

That's one of the best huts in BC! Can't wait to see more!

First day of touring - Kings Backside and Steepness!

Story has it the King of Spain was heli skiing in the area landed here to visit Battle Abbey.

Complete story HERE

Quote Originally Posted by skiingnow View Post
    VERY nice. That ridge in the foreground there has some sick looking terrain possibilities. Nice zone for throwing some laps.
    The skills of evaluating evidence, posing questions and answering them, of writing, of mobilizing information in order to make an argument. I think all of that is important in a democratic society if people are actually going to be active citizens - Eric Foner

More days to come??? You couldn't have possibly only gone on a three day trip?

Heading up to VMT next week, sure looks like it is going to be good snow, now if the stability just cooperates.

Crank, its worth it, deals do come up as well.

Hitting some south facing slopes of Omoo and Never Never Basin. Complete story HERE

Robson decided to board today.

These guys are 59 and 60 respectively!

First run tracks, climbing up for the second run

Looks nice. You really can't beat Steepness, then Typee, then the many switchbacks to back to the hut...

Nice pics Lee. Getting me stoked for the traverse (Ferguson to Rogers Pas) we're planning through the area in April, with a food drop at the hut. Did you get to ski off Typee?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Nice pics Lee. Getting me stoked for the traverse (Ferguson to Rogers Pas) we're planning through the area in April, with a food drop at the hut. Did you get to ski off Typee?
    should be a good tour! We did get to Typee on the last day. Amazing views. We saw Assinaboine.

hey stu. I took a ton of beta pictures of the routes West and South of Typee around the Nemo Group, Houston Creek and the Wrong glacier area. If you need the unresized shots let me know.

Took a chance to beat the weather and went high, the weather beat us.

Mt. Butters

Gorgeous stuff, Lee.

VERY nice. That ridge in the foreground there has some sick looking terrain possibilities. Nice zone for throwing some laps.

Those were my thoughts exactly, I would like to ski that shoulder a thousand times please.

It all looks great though. Must have been good times.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Gorgeous stuff, Lee.

Those were my thoughts exactly, I would like to ski that shoulder a thousand times please.

It all looks great though. Must have been good times.
    What about the line that starts in the upper right corner. Cirque to chute to face to couloir. That looks fuuuunnnnn. I should move to Canada. Do you folks need any bioengineers?

Edited to add: Seriously how do you move to Canada? You guys don't have any TeaBaggers there right?
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

Pic doesn't give the scale. This was one of maybe 40 lines or so that drops 1 vert km or so of relief down this same aspect. The creek in the foreground is Houston Creek and about 1600m below where we started and we could've skied to it in one shot (5200 ft vert). The feature you're pointing out is in the vistamount-Wrong group and is a good two to three days travel. Sky was super clear due to the cold so everything looks close

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post

I looked it up; Ferguson is the one that's just N of Nelson? If so , wow!

Ferguson is just to the east of Trout lake. According to the route I plotted on Google Earth, it'll be 56 miles, and 30,000 ft of vertical, over 7 days. If conditions allow we'll ski the Proteus Glacier (sick), otherwise we'll climb Typee from the west, and then ski the Typee glacier to the east. I'd love to see your pics of anything in that area, though I'm very busy skiing pow at the moment.

Thursday was as cold as Wednesday - -27 or so... - but the sun was out! We headed to Schooner Bowl, another south facing bowl for some more pow!

The last run back from Schooner bowl was Kitchen Envy - so named becuase you can watch people ski this run from the kitchen window at Battle Abbey.
    http://battleabbey.ca/content/battle...-schooner-bowl

Friday was our last day for a big tour.

The alpine had seen some wind, it was still cold but the sun was out and we were motivated! We headed out and went directly to Typee.

Some people had skin issues on this -27o day. I think it did actually warm up to -22.
    More pictures here->
    http://battleabbey.ca/content/battle...E2%80%93-typee

Wind affect anyone!

Last trot up the Grizzly trot!

More Kitchen Envy!

Battle Abbey flies late on Saturday so we all get to do another run in the morning! Vis was poor, so we hit some POW TREES!

http://battleabbey.ca/content/battle-abbey-woodlot

Warren - he's 59! Does Bikrams Yoga once a week!

Wayne

Our Ride

Final Installment.

Here you go Stu!

Some of the Panoramic Views around Battle Abbey!
    http://battleabbey.ca/content/battle-abbey-panoramics

Great shots, Lee. Thanks.

KootenaySkier: You might enjoy my report of a trip from Snow Ocean (to the east of where you plan to start; heli drop off) to Battle Abbey in 2004. That year saw THREE parties do a traverse in this range, which I believe had seen no prior traverses. See http://stanwagon.com/wagon/canskiing/wrongway.html

What a great feeling to come around Typee on the last day and ski to BA, where our traverse was over and we had a week of BA skiing.

Edit: Looking at the nice panos. I see Arei van der Velden on your trip? I met him at Campbell in '06 -- super photographer. He took one panorama there that was really amazing: from a summit....full 180 degrees, -10 or lower Fahrenheit, winds howling, but good visibility. Ah: Found his web page:

http://www.arievandervelden.com/Camp...astPkPano.html
    Last edited by StanWagon; 03-07-2011 at 09:05 PM.