What Intuition liner in Garmont Radiums?

hi

Been reading here on liner recommendations for Garmont Radiums have a few questions specific to my situation.

I'm a newer skier using Garmont Radiums for alpine and touring.

I'm looking to go to Intuition liners to solve two problems and hopefully improve stiffness. The problems are my feet (toes) tend to get cold esp on lifts, and I think they may be a hair too tight in the toe box, which may also be contributing to cold toes.

Beyond that I don't have too much problem with the stock liners (they were heat molded with toe caps) paired with my thin heat molded footbeds, but I may just not know any better

I was using garmont megarides previously and was rather shocked at how much stronger the stiffer radiums skied, so that's why I'd like to see if I can make the radiums even stiffer still(as a new skier I feel like I need all the help I can get, short of purchasing alpine boots).

shoe size 10 (always wear 10 never 9.5 or 10.5)
    boot size 27.5 (e.g. 27.0 shell had a boot fitter confirm correct shell size for me)
    I'm 155lbs a skinny guy, I ski with finesse.
    My foot is a bit narrow with a higher arch.
    I do about 80% alpine 20% touring right now.

Any one liner come to mind give the above criteria?

I should add I wouldn't mind purchasing two liners, if I did two liners perhaps the powerwrap for alpine and pro tour for touring?

I'm wonder if the powerwrap will be too much for my level however, feel too stiff, I don't really know.

thanks for any suggestions!

alpine in a 10 should be fine

keep in mind that stiffer wont make you ski better (most of the time worse) but tighter/better FITTING will.

fit is not the same as flex.

Used scarpa (intuition) powerwraps in my radiums when I skied them. Threw the original liners in the garbage straight away and used palaus and the said intuitions after that,for about 25 days.
    Much warmer,stiffer and better fit than the originals. Like several times better. I got a size bigger (25) for my 24.5 radiums. Liners were ok, and they skied quite well, but the boots were such a piece of shits with their totally-fucked-up-design-toebox ,that I sold them and got BD Quadrants.

I allso used megarides before the radiums,and yes,Radiums skied way better but...well...the toebox... The flex on the radiums were quite progressive though. Not the stiffest boots in the market,but good to drive sub 100mm skis.

And check out the old radium threads, there is lot of info in them about the liners etc.. In short, the powerwraps take away a LOT out of the walk mode. You might not notice that skinning uphill but when walking longer distances (walked once 14km..) the gait goes tits up. Way,way, poorer than with the tongued liners. Thats just the way the wraparounds seem to act,I guess.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by capaski View Post
    I ski with finesse.
    This made me laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by capaski View Post
    ...I'm 155lbs a skinny guy...

...My foot is a bit narrow...
    The Radium w/ an Intuition Power Wrap is a JH classic. Very popular. People don't make it in the stock liner too long.

If you use the Power Wrap, the Radiums will get stiffer and warmer.

However, with skinny or bony legs, shin bang is an unfortunate side effect of a poor mold.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

^ to add to this...

I use wrap Intuitions wraps in Radiums, have a skinny calf and ankle and foot.

The wrap Intuition is reasonably high volume towards the cuff: there is a lot of rubber there. My calf is skinny and it does not naturally fill out the liner cuff. To get the liner cuff to wrap my calf properly I need to use the power strap and close the upper buckles more than I'd like. I need to carefully and manually 'wrap' the liner cuff around my calf as it closes, even then, all that wrapped-rubber and not much calf-meat causes the Radium shell to deform a little when trying to squash-in all the Intuition liner and get a snug fit around my calf.

Some days if I rush the top buckle it doesn't just deform the shell, the buckle pops open all by itself as the shell deforms and the cuff fails to wrap around my calf. The buckle just wont stay shut. Even on a good day I can feel the top buckle bending the shell inwards a bit and forming a pressure lump against my side-shin (very different to side-boob)

make sense?

And just to continue my pointless but on-going campaign against Garmont: they owe me the cost of a brand new AT boot liner. It is unacceptable to make a boot, sell at full price, then require users to buy another expensive 3rd party liner just to make the boot work. I won't buy Garmont again.
    Life is not lift served.

I am on my second season with Radiums, I guess my stock liners fit decently enough using the laces and lacing them pretty tight. My complaint with the liners is that it is very difficult putting my foot in them as well as I have to take the liners with my foot in them out everytime I pull my foot out of my boots. So two transitions I hate doing at a windy trailhead everytime. So, I got a pair or Intuition Luxery liners per the advise of Intuition. Molded them and the fit is good as well as easy of entry and getting out too. HOWEVER, The added stiffness on the liner really hinders the walk mode of the boots. Radiums. IMO, have a weak walk mode to begin with and making it worse is a non started for me, so much so I pulled the liners out and now use the stock ones. I would guess the Power Wraps would do the same thing. Anyway, I would get the Pro Tour liners, they are design to articulate in walk mode and have laces too which I think are beneficial. My opinion of Radium boots with maybe 100 days on them, a good boot for the down, the liners are poorly designed, walk mode is too restricted and the second buckle is way too long. Pretty durable, somewhat heavy compared to a Zzero4. I would never get another pair.

The stock Palau liners in Radiums are junk. Putting the Intuition Alpine liners into my Radiums made for a significant increase in comfort and performance. They're the highest volume liner, so work well for my chicken legs. Power wraps are only necessary if you're trying to stiffen your boots, which I didn't find necessary in the Radiums, and will compromise the walkability. Note that the wrap style liners will place you in a slightly more upright skiing position. I ended up moving to Titans, but that's another story.

I went the cheapo route and got these Scarpa Plus Fit High Liners for $30 at GearX. They're Intuition liners that Scarpa was putting in a bunch of their boots a few years back. At the very least they're the same as the liners from the T1 and TRace telemark boots. After baking, my toes and instep are much less crammed, just right. And my heal doesn't slip around. Can't beat that for $30.
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

Lots of threads on this, SEARCH!

For better touring, throw in the Intuition Luxury. Worked well (enough) for me.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    Lots of threads on this, SEARCH!

For better touring, throw in the Intuition Luxury. Worked well (enough) for me.
    ^^^ yes, exactly.

The walk mode isn't great on the Radiums and the wrap makes it worse. I've got Luxury liners in mine, and they are definitely stiffer than the Garmont liners - though not as stiff as the wraps.

As for the cold toes, the toe-box is really narrow. I had mine punched out, but my toes still get a little cold when it's in the 20s.
    Last edited by pisteoff; 03-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.

I'm also using Intuition Luxury Liners in my Radiums - mostly because mntlion had a pair lying around. Never even bothered using the stock liners, so I can't comment on how much the walk mode is compromised. Plenty of boot to ski my 181 Coombacks.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post

The walk mode isn't great on the Radiums
    I'll say. Just to get any high-function walk mode I have to undo every buckle completely, except for the toe buckle. And undo the power strap as well. The rearward shell cuff travel is close to zero and a wrap Intuition liner just makes it worse.

And at the time people on TGR knocked the DB Factor rearward travel in favor of the Radium??!!
    Life is not lift served.

thanks very much for the responses, hmm a lot of different opinions. I feel like the power wrap will be a bit much, not sure beyond that.

I don't mind buying two of them if I have to. I may start with the pro tours or alpines and if whatever I get doesn't work well for its opposite application (alpine doesn't work okay for touring or pro tour not an improvement over stock for alpine), I'll buy its counterpart.

it'd be nice to just be able to choose an all around one that more or less works for both, we'll see, thanks again for replies I'll think on all this.

cheers