Page 621 of 820 FirstFirst ... 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 ... LastLast
Results 15,501 to 15,525 of 20491
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Suncloud View Post
    y or davin? git sum
    Don't think so. Hot and windy the last few days. We've been out touring and eating raviolis in Italy the last few days. Back to La Grave tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Don't think so. Hot and windy the last few days. We've been out touring and eating raviolis in Italy the last few days. Back to La Grave tomorrow.
    cool - touring above Ceillac is good if you're in that hood

Having booked a few of self-catered/organized trips this year, the wife and I are thinking of having a go with one of the "City Break" weekend firms, purely for the convenience. Thinking that we can't go wrong with Verbier, as Zermatt doesn't have much of a base right now, the dolomites take too long to get to and we don't really drink or dance on tables, so Innsbruck/St Anton are out. We're looking mid-March. Any local knowledge that would suggest our thinking that you can't go wrong with Verbier is wrong? (I know the weekend providers are expensive, but I need the convenience factor right now)

Warm in la grave cream cheese
    I think maybe there are 40 people on the whole mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

You not considered flying in to Turin on ryanair/wizzair/easyjet? Hire a car and be in the via latta in under and hour and half.
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Warm in la grave cream cheese
    I think maybe there are 40 people on the whole mountain
    Two ice climbers killed today in La Grave by falling ice... and four in similar circumstances in Italy.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

A couple of pictures from an absolutely incredible day out I had earlier this week. I'd love to find the time to piece together a few words about it, but I'm fairly snowed under at the moment. Fingers crossed I'll get the chance soon.

Searching for the right door...

Spot the line...

Dry skiing, downclimbing, a quick rappel, some pretty gnarly route finding... business as usual, Winter 2017.

The thin snowcover made my corn harvesting dreams for the spring disappear, so i used the last days to get as much in as possible. mid feb and so freaking warm! it felt like april or so. despite watching the snow melt it was FUN.

sad to hear about those fatalities.

@nordekette, is that what Ray Mears meant with bushcrafting?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    @nordekette, is that what Ray Mears meant with bushcrafting?
    I felt like herman maier skiing those bushes : )

Impressive.

nordekette: your dedication to your name sake mountain despite the lack of snow is also impressive!

The little top up we got on friday helped with the optics, not with much else. freak and Marius yesterday:
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Some friends and I created a new discipline last week, we call it ski canyoneering.

Grand Couloir West of Mont Buet, 5.3E3, lots of downclimbing, dry skiing, rappelling, sidestepping with an axe in hand... some ice, some crust, some gravel, some slab... all par for the course in Winter 2017, but what can you do?

One of my favourite days out so far this year, for sure. Pure adventure.

I'm looking to get a guide for Chamonix next week and curious if it's worth spending the money for a private guide (I'll be solo) or should I try to squeeze into a group? Not sure if the snowpack allows for a lot of great options right now.

Thanks

Anyone getting amongst the new dump?
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Banal Chitannes

Quote Originally Posted by rometheworld View Post
    I'm looking to get a guide for Chamonix next week and curious if it's worth spending the money for a private guide (I'll be solo) or should I try to squeeze into a group? Not sure if the snowpack allows for a lot of great options right now.

Thanks
    I just recently got back from Cham in the identical position as yourself. After some research I found iso0 guides (www.iso0.com). They were excellent to deal with and happy to accommodate my goals. Unfortunately I was ill on the day I had booked a private guide to ski cosmiques so will have to go back.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RichieNZ View Post
    I just recently got back from Cham in the identical position as yourself. After some research I found iso0 guides (www.iso0.com). They were excellent to deal with and happy to accommodate my goals. Unfortunately I was ill on the day I had booked a private guide to ski cosmiques so will have to go back.

Good luck!
    How was the snow in chamonix?

We had a couple good days in ischgl, first time skiing Austria.

A shit ton of beaters on piste. Every lift ride (literally) I saw an evacuation where 2 runs come together.

Avalanche mitigation was pretty weak with natural stuffs coming down into the groomers and patrol walking around w the reco thing making sure no beaters were buried.

Off piste was incredible
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Fun day in marginal pow at marecottes...

Nice skis!

Nice Ripz!

Better than expected in Verbier on Saturday

Looks like the front this week will do its best work La Grave way. Didn't get above P1 due to weather last time... Keen to try again on Friday/Sat but alone and no luck with guides so far. Anyone got any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Nice Ripz!

Better than expected in Verbier on Saturday

Looks like the front this week will do its best work La Grave way. Didn't get above P1 due to weather last time... Keen to try again on Friday/Sat but alone and no luck with guides so far. Anyone got any ideas?
    Not that I'm much of any expert but having just been there, I might have a little insight on the current scene. Guide wise, the local bureau seems to be a little slow to respond and is best dealt with in person.

I would try to get in touch with Joe Vallone (guide) or Ray Hughes (aspirant guide) on Facebook. The skiers lodge may be able to point you in the right direction.

I'm not sure what your objectives are and what the weather/conditions will be but you may have good luck just being friendly at the Castillian or hanging about at the bottom station. Under the right conditions, there is an amazing amount of terrain that can be self guided.

^echo that... and never contact BdG just asking for a guide... ask until you have a name of someone you want like the names above or someone from Skiers Lodge
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I'm landing in Geneva on Friday, will be speed riding Valfrejus/Chamonix/Courmayeur if there's anyone else flying who wants to meet up. Looks like a bit of weather to start that may keep us grounded though. I selfishly kicked off a weather model covering our trip here for those in need, forgive me for my English units:

http://www.winterscience.com/wxmaps/fr/Hourly_Precip/2/
    Last edited by cmor; 02-27-2017 at 11:28 PM.