Page 530 of 813 FirstFirst ... 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 ... LastLast
Results 13,226 to 13,250 of 20323
    south. take the brenner or any other pass and head south. you'll arrive right after the big storm clears on tuesday. (not exactly clear how long or how big the system will be, but wed will 90% be the first bluebird day. maaybe Tue afternoon, but after all that new snow a bit of settling should do the trick in order to normalize avie danger)
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Any good suggestions in the south? Never been in those parts of the alps...

I think you could do quite well at either Obergurgl or Solden. They have snow, should ski above average and way better than the resorts that peak out in the low 2,000m. For lodging Obergurgl quiet, Solden more lively. Driving from Solden to Obergurgl is 10-15 minutes. If skiing Obergurgl hit this place for lunch. Get there by 12 or maybe no seats available.
    http://www.obergurgl.com/urlaub/EN/G...alm/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by AmmergauerTele View Post
    I think you could do quite well at either Obergurgl or Solden. They have snow, should ski above average and way better than the resorts that peak out in the low 2,000m.
    they have SOME snow. not much. i would only recommend going there if you like to hit rocks.

freak~[&]

BlaBlaBla 10cm BlaBlaBla

After aborting a descent on the Italian side due to unstable wind slab, francoise and I skied the consolation prize of the Combe de la Noire. The biggest crowds so far were skiing off the Aiguille de Midi because they heard the arête was partially equipped. Most major trade routes were schralped by the first benne. Huge guided parties were skiing about. But, alas there was nobody on our line.... yet we were grateful for the cruiser track down the Vallee Blanche to Montenvers.

We ski cut a slab at the top of this line to access the descent, and then skied the slide track past the unstable section.

This enabled us to access the goods, and conveniently, get back to civilization.

10cm can look deep when you're making showboat turns.

Our promised bluebird day turned out to yield a big wind with blowing snow at altitude and clouds coming down the peaks.

The Combe de La Noire has a bit more angle to it than is readily apparent in the photos.

The line is well filled in this season.
    Last edited by jumpturn; 01-18-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Looks like we are getting back to the right stoke ...

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    nice. have you been at the Tambo lately and can tell me about the conditions? there is this nice couloir That refused to be skied last season (It was very late and hard snow.....) and I've been thinking about it a lot.
    Looks pretty wind affected in your pictures...
    The Spluegen pass indeed saw quite some wind. We chose the Suretta NF and hoped for slightly better conditions. Overall not too shabby, but the descent was in mixed snow/quite a bit wind affected.

Haven’t been on the Tambo yet. Had to turn around last season due to white out conditions. We were attempting just the regular east face though.
    It’s always hard to tell from a distance. But the NF of Tambo did also look somewhat wind affected from the Alpetli (P 2215, top of Spluegen lift). Also still quite some rocks sticking out the open slopes, a few older released slabs can be seen also. So I would say time to wait for some more snow, or better again safer spring conditions.

Originial size pic:
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...2.jpg~original

looks like a gazillion meters more snow than last year. which is pretty logical

The biggest crowds so far were skiing off the Aiguille de Midi because they heard the arrete was partially equipped. Most major trade routes were schralped by the first benne. Huge guided parties were skiing about. But, alas there was nobody on our line.... yet we were grateful for the cruiser track down the Vallee Blanche to Montenvers.
    I wish they kept it unroped all year long, oh well. Bring on the roped to death parties of 14 slipping on slick boots down the arrete.

Jealous of your noire!

Foehn coming in this wknd...
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

They skied the Punta Victoria. which is a pretty nice line. scary exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    freak and I will be around verbier or some place in the general area fri, sat and sun, probably sleeping in car somewhere. if anyone wants to put faces to screen names let me know.
    Is there a plan, you reluctant visitors to Verbier? Due to new baby responsibilities I can't to commit to skiing but late afternoon/early evening is an easier time so I'd likely be able to meet for a beer after you ski on Friday or Saturday.

Yugi, Verbier61, anyone else - you have suggestions?

Anyone have some beta on val gardena/arabba? Where should one stay? Any good treeskiing there?
    Thinking the coming storm could deliver some goods there.

I'll be around verb tomorrow and most likely this weekend if this mag mini goes down.

Anyone heading from Suisse to Cour for the comp this weekend?

Nope. especially as the comp closes Youla/Arp access...but if Klar's comp is tomorrow there is a mini-summit going to go DOWN in the Valais. Free tickets to mags...sponsored by moi. Thinking Chandy, CL, or Ov...depends if there is enough snow in those areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    I'll be around verb tomorrow and most likely this weekend if this mag mini goes down.

Anyone heading from Suisse to Cour for the comp this weekend?
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Cour will be a party zone. We're thinking about heading over there for the festivities. Helbronner is an option, but there was no base below pavillon on tuesday. Skiing off the top is best with vis, but strong winds will load a number of the lines. Toula is usually ok, but a party of 5 got avalanched there last week...it's been quiet in cham this week, except for the VB pow frenzy yesterday.
    Last edited by jumpturn; 01-18-2014 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glomstulen View Post
    Anyone have some beta on val gardena/arabba? Where should one stay? Any good treeskiing there?
    Thinking the coming storm could deliver some goods there.
    The carabinieri in Arabba can be a bit upset if you ski off piste near the piste. They won´t take your lift ticket, but might throw a 35-150€ fine and show phonecam pics of dead people from previous days. If you take a local guide you can offcourse ski anywhere, it's Italy afterall..

Quote Originally Posted by j,the snowboarder View Post
    it's Italy afterall..
    that sums it up perfectly. sometimes it's magic, sometimes it's tragic.

better get in stealthmode as good as you can. the first showing me his fine for skiing to fast on piste, gets a beer

And finally an off piste guide book for Verbier from local mountain guide Gilbert Crettaz

http://www.guides-verbier.com/en/med...e-verbier.html

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post
    And finally an off piste guide book for Verbier from local mountain guide Gilbert Crettaz

http://www.guides-verbier.com/en/med...e-verbier.html
    Not really sure if the heliski trails should be openly promoted. Just for the big $$$, fat guys who can't put on any skins for just 30 mins.
    Not knowing the guide himself or much about the book at all...... but for that title it gets a thumb down from me.

They're skiing all of my pow off Youla!!! Greedy bastards.

http://www.powdermag.com/videos/watc...urmayeur-live/
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

bastard gapers!

mister fwt saying something about NW coming next week? subtle?

Can anybody tell me what the policy is on offpiste skiing in Sestriere. Is it "Alagna" style and can we ski wherever or are we risking getting fined? If that's the case I would rather head over to Mont Genevre or Serre Chevalier area, but i remember great tree skiing in Sestriere from a few years back. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by suntoucher View Post
    mister fwt saying something about NW coming next week? subtle?
    meh. not necesssarily..... some models are indicating a change.

thanks for keeping my expectations low, really