Page 624 of 813 FirstFirst ... 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 ... LastLast
Results 15,576 to 15,600 of 20318
    Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    Yeah, they are saying the fourth body was 12m (!!!) down. A local guy was there on the same day and did two laps with no issue just before the group went down. I've skied that plenty of time on days with "moderate" danger, close to home..

It looks some very serious sketchy technical terrain. Reports are saying it slides regular, you may have been lucky in the past.
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    It looks some very serious sketchy technical terrain.
    Not sure how you define that but I don't consider it technical terrain at all. It is of course steep enough to slide but I don't see how it is particularly technical or inherently scary. This is taken from about the same elevation as where the people are in the foto above, further lookers right.

I have not been up there in the past three winters, which all had a pretty defining persistent weak layer issue (unlike the seasons before), at least in part for that reason. I would still be confident about skiing it on a moderate day with a well defined storm or wind slab causing the moderate rating, rather than a pwl causing the moderate. It slid large last year as well, also on a persistent weak layer, on a considerable day. No one was hurt, the group was very lucky. In 2005 one person died, also in a slide that went very large.

I have certainly been lucky in the past, but I'm not convinced I have ever pushed my luck all that much in this particular place. You never really know though, do you..

edit: SLF weekly summary has some more spooky imagery of recent big slides: http://www.slf.ch/schneeinfo/wochenb...0316/index_DE#
    Last edited by klar; 03-16-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Not sure how you define that but I don't consider it technical terrain at all. It is of course steep enough to slide but I don't see how it is particularly technical or inherently scary. This is taken from about the same elevation as where the people are in the foto above, further lookers right.

I have not been up there in the past three winters, which all had a pretty defining persistent weak layer issue (unlike the seasons before), at least in part for that reason. I would still be confident about skiing it on a moderate day with a well defined storm or wind slab causing the moderate rating, rather than a pwl causing the moderate. It slid large last year as well, also on a persistent weak layer, on a considerable day. No one was hurt, the group was very lucky. In 2005 one person died, also in a slide that went very large.

I have certainly been lucky in the past, but I'm not convinced I have ever pushed my luck all that much in this particular place. You never really know though, do you..

edit: SLF weekly summary has some more spooky imagery of recent big slides: http://www.slf.ch/schneeinfo/wochenb...0316/index_DE#
    Not technical to ski, it looks sweet to ski.
    Technical to judge, steep/exposed rocks/flat section at top to steep in the middle, a lot going on on that aspect that all help contribute to a slide

something more stoke-worthy....nice video on la grave

http://www.lequipe.fr/Adrenaline/Sno...ncaises/785809

2 more taken in St Anton.
    No more details released yet.

And two more on the Italian side of Bernina.
    http://milano.repubblica.it/cronaca/...rti-160776348/

There are some pictures of the St Anton slide in here, group of 5, last one to ski triggered slide, unfortunate terrain trap.
    http://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/12...am-arlberg.csp

This is all horrifying.

I'm pretty much staying indoors at the moment.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

yup me too. not bothered at all by staying home.

quite a bit of discussion here about whether the danger levels in the bulletin (moderate for big slide on wednesday, low today for the one at arlberg) were appropriate for the situation (imo it's pretty clear that they were).

Yeah, the avalanche commission has being very clear in explaining their evaluations and how they apply to the situations where people have been affected. Normaly not quite so detailed in the mainstream press on why things are playing out like they are. A real shame for all who are involved in the tragedies, but also a wakeup call not to just look at the numbers in the 1-5 scale and ingore the detailed reports. Scary whats going on with that pwl.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    As seen on facebook...from chamonix 7m crown

Whereabouts, ripz? Here in cham for a few more days but with a mostly relaxed agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    something more stoke-worthy....nice video on la grave

http://www.lequipe.fr/Adrenaline/Sno...ncaises/785809
    Amazeballs
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    Whereabouts, ripz? Here in cham for a few more days but with a mostly relaxed agenda
    Not sure. It was a random shot on a weather fb page.

Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    Dark side of Le Tour, I believe.

Ta makes sense with the rolling hill back there

Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    Hey guys, been a while since I've posted on this thread when I lived in yurp 8 years ago, but I have tickets booked into GVA for April 16-30th, super fired up to return.

The plan for the past few months has been to ski the Haute Route, and it still is at the moment, but I wanted to get some input from your side of the pond as it sounds like the winter has been, um, variable.

I know it's not a black and white answer, but what's your take on the mid/late April touring season this year in the Cham-Zermatt zone? Would you all do the ski tour if you were in my shoes? If we don't take ski's, we will bring a climbing rack and make it more of a spring/summer sport trip, but trying to get some Intel to make the right call. Either way I'm stoked to get back into your beautiful mountain playground.

Thanks for any input you guys may have---

--
    J
    "Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"

Quote Originally Posted by jskierpx View Post
    The plan for the past few months has been to ski the Haute Route, and it still is at the moment, but I wanted to get some input from your side of the pond as it sounds like the winter has been, um, variable.
    I can't speak for anything too far away from Cham, I'm afraid. Anything below 1800m that doesn't face due-north should be assumed to be dry as a bone, but above that, things really aren't that bad.

Still, anything can happen in the next three weeks! I recommend asking again on April 10th...

Quote Originally Posted by Rdy2ski View Post
    I'm glad to hear the snow if finally hitting!!! I'm hitting Jungfrau region in mid Jan. Ooh yea.
    Keen to know the best resort with a view of Eiger?

nordekette: your dedication to your name sake mountain despite the lack of snow is also impressive!

dedication : ) obsession : ) love : ) enjoying it on does days when nobody else is around.... !
    A skiresort to your self is a nice feeling : )

Excellent!

Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    Thanks for the input, Will double check when we are getting closer to the date. As my old roommate in chamonix put it, this winter has been "sub-optimal" for you guys.
    "Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    dedication : ) obsession : ) love : ) enjoying it on does days when nobody else is around.... !
    A skiresort to your self is a nice feeling : )
    Nice nordkette! Those sweets are magic

Quote Originally Posted by McDee View Post
    Nice nordkette! Those sweets are magic
    Thank´s McDee and Island Bay!
    Last edited by nordekette; 03-30-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Was that from the weekend nordkette? looked completely emtpy! Canyons shaping up nicely hope to get up this weekend.

A few from Engelberg last Thursday and Friday.. snow quality was pretty great spring snow!