Page 591 of 820 FirstFirst ... 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 ... LastLast
Results 14,751 to 14,775 of 20487
    Fun times on Sunday with @Matt F making short laps in the Alpes Vaudoises. 30cm + on top of grass made for some sweet turns on the slopes with enough pitch:

Last edited by butToFly; 11-25-2015 at 03:11 AM.
    you don't know if you don't go

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    today was actually a really good day, surprisingly enough. 20-30cm of fluffy stuff on a soft 30cm base resulted in three laps of powdery fun. But you had to stay on the leeward side of things......

And those DOWN 110s may be the best touringski ever!

I basically flew up the hill and did the first 300m in less than 30min, during early season.(I must admit I was pretty amped on the conditions though). Altogether 850ish m vertical with 6 skin on/ skin off breaks and in 2 hours and 30min. I am as fit as last year during main season. nice.
    I'm putting kingpins on my 110s
    Where did you mount them

Any meteo-gurus know how long this up and coming warmup is going to last? ill be in the vorarlberg area in a couple weeks... Pray for snowwww

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    Beautiful!

some of the mountains around Ireland are going to be off the hook this Christmas/New Year
    Really? Living in Ireland for 23 years and can't remember there ever being more than about three feet of snow in
    an entire year. I don't get into the mountains here much but I could be wrong!

Well, well... Next weeks forecast for south Norwedge looks rather ok... Roldal / Sogndal estimations vary from 120-to-200cm of new snow.

Tickets...booked.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I might be there too.. do they open during the week. or in other words: are there "groups of 25 people" ?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowPandy View Post
    Really? Living in Ireland for 23 years and can't remember there ever being more than about three feet of snow in
    an entire year. I don't get into the mountains here much but I could be wrong!
    My girlfriend is Irish, and every other year we go back and spend Christmas with her family, and just on the off-chance that there's any snow about, we are taking the toys with us. At the very least, we'll be able to get a couple of turns in on her local sand dunes.
    I seem to remember seeing pictures of people skiing in various places across Ireland two winters ago, Kerry certainly saw one or two ski descents. There's a particular mountain up in Donegal that I've got my eye on, and there's various potentially-exciting descents around Sligo that could work with enough snow. I'm just praying for the right weather in the build-up to Christmas!

The Pierre a Ric in Chamonix has about 50-60cm on it, and absolutely no base, so you do occasionally connect with Mother Earth, but once they've bashed it down in preparation for a partial opening this weekend (the Bochard is open), it'll ski very nicely indeed.

Like a seal through the surf

Fucken' woof!

(sorry for the glare, it was pretty flat light so I've cranked the white up to 11)

Another dusting coming at the weekend, bit of a shame summer is starting again after that.
    Last edited by peds; 11-26-2015 at 03:32 AM.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

I might be there too.. do they open during the week. or in other words: are there "groups of 25 people" ?
    Voss and Roldal will supposedly open this coming Saturday and Sogndal sat 5th, even if they advertised on their front page that they will open on 12th Dec...

Don't have yet info how they plan to be open during the week.

Edit :

To clarify, got info from our resident viking, Onwards: There are two ski centers in Sogndal..

- http://www.sogndalskisenter.no/ (opens 12th)
    - http://www.sognskisenter.no/ (opens on 5th)

The Sogndalskisenter ( aka.Hodlekve) is the one with absolutely frigging fabulous treeriding on the backside. After a short skinning one can ride about 600-800m vert of steep japan forests down to a road and take a shuttle back to the resort.
    Mike D did it switch couple of years ago...for what I heard...
    Last edited by Meathelmet; 11-26-2015 at 10:06 AM.

I would love Tor Meer a maggot there. I will Decide depending on weather here and ski the alps at least until Tuesday. Today was all time 60cm blower on 20-30 base. Face shot town!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TGR Forums

So when do you go where? Just in case you want me to molest you, in a good way of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkares View Post
    Any meteo-gurus know how long this up and coming warmup is going to last? ill be in the vorarlberg area in a couple weeks... Pray for snowwww
    Was looking at another Euro oriented ski blog, and the consensus is for some brief warming for middle of next week. However current weather models are Not showing any strong agreement going into middle of December on temps/moisture. I too have some soft plans for a possible Christmas Euro Alps excursion. Will decide early next week whether to stay or go.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Snow for the Euros.

I would love Tor Meer a maggot there. I will Decide depending on weather here and ski the alps at least until Tuesday. Today was all time 60cm blower on 20-30 base. Face shot town!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TGR Forums
    20 of mud right?
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

]no, the 20-30cm of soft snow base from sunday

and since I'm not easily convinced that it is good you can sure bet that today was indeed really good for early season.
    You had to stay away from any trees or your skis would have made some rocky/muddy experiences beneath the fluffy stuff. It was os light you were hitting the base more often than not. despite it being thigh deep.

Here is the way to the spot in the morning. It snowed another 20cm during the day.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]172435[/ATTACH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151126_111414[1].jpg 
Views:	1166 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	172435  
    Last edited by subtle plague; 11-26-2015 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Because I am a Sith Lord

]no, the 20-30cm of soft snow base from sunday

and since I'm not easily convinced that it is good you can sure bet that today was indeed really good for early season.
    You had to stay away from any trees or your skis would have made some rocky/muddy experiences beneath the fluffy stuff. It was os light you were hitting the base more often than not. despite it being thigh deep.

Here is the way to the spot in the morning. It snowed another 20cm during the day.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]172435[/ATTACH
    The spot nice!!!! stoked to see some base forming as I battle the flu and customers
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

those nasty customers. And in case you missed it: The 110s are my new favourite Touring ski.

So when do you go where? Just in case you want me to molest you, in a good way of course.
    Hehhe, bring the lube!
    Will fly in to oslo on morning the 3rd (Onwards will pick me up) , go first to Hemsedal for some turns in afternoon then continue towards
    Sogndal and stay there until 6th, then head back for the flight back home. If you are around, give a holler!
    Send your phone via PM or something? You are coming in with a gang or solo trip? Would def be nice to meet you there.

I would be flying solo. Probably coming up for the 4th/5th and stay for a few days a week (depending on weather) in Sogndal /Roldal. I have no clue about terrain etc. so I would have to do some research where to go for which weather. Or follow you counsel
    I would probably go by car and visit a few friends in Hamburg on the way. depending on how much the trip would cost I may consider flying.

I'll contact you on monday whether I go or not

I would be flying solo. Probably coming up for the 4th/5th and stay for a few days a week (depending on weather) in Sogndal /Roldal. I have no clue about terrain etc. so I would have to do some research where to go for which weather. Or follow you counsel
    Pick your poison! If you come via Oslo, Sogndal via Hemsedal) is some 4-5hrs depending on the weather. Roldal is 5-6. And going from sogndal to roldal is a "trip", it will take a day. And all this if you have good weather and not closures on the roads..that you will have if there is snow or even wind. You can easily be waiting for 1-48hrs+ if the weather turns shit and you are trying to pass some high mountain area.
    Imagine some alps high mountain pass (ps.st berhnard?) that carries on for the next 100km in high plateau with no people and spindrift.
    Colony riding ( 100 cars behind a plow, in a spindrift) is normal in many mountain passes. Normal mid european M+S tyres will give you problems so get some chains if the weather forecast looks like there is going to be some snow.

And.. Do IT!

Im drooling...

I would love to try and make it up there for a week at least. Plans are for getting a new car come monday, then supplying up and if all goes well, head north.

Anyone know how many CNG fueling stations are in sweden/norwege these days? My new car is a CNG, so hopefully i can get to Norway on 50 euros, as long as i can find the stations that is

Btw what are the 110s everyone here keeps speaking of? new DPS ski? Anyone try them with tele bindings...?

i can get to Norway on 50 euros, as long as i can find the stations that is
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...A1A3E&hl=en_US

Btw what are the 110s everyone here keeps speaking of? new DPS ski? Anyone try them with tele bindings...?
    http://www.downskis.com/shop/countdown-110-2015

Arlberg today with klar and freak. just not enough to ski properly. nice snow and weather.

more: http://www.powderplus.de/powder-repo...-2015-arlberg/

some pow was gotten in da valais ... best powvember i remember!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448728056.810818.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	375.3 KB 
ID:	172492

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448728088.060819.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	606.4 KB 
ID:	172493

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448728110.716909.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	542.7 KB 
ID:	172494

hey meathelmet & gang: I won't be joining you guys in Norway. I'm flying to Canada on Monday. So the weather models will suddenly show monsterdumps for the Alps from this day forward.... you're welcome.

hey meathelmet & gang: I won't be joining you guys in Norway. I'm flying to Canada on Monday. So the weather models will suddenly show monsterdumps for the Alps from this day forward.... you're welcome.
    Damn! Would have been nice to have had some turns with you, but thanks anyway for taking one for the team!!

ps. it is absolutely puking in Norway. Forecasted that snowfall will continue unanabated to next sunday. 160cm and counting in Röldal...
    On Wednesday there might come a warmer spell that might bring a bit rain, hopefully that wont fuck up the snowpack.