Page 617 of 821 FirstFirst ... 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 ... LastLast
Results 15,401 to 15,425 of 20507
    Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Ok, thanks. I'll PM you when I've seen tomorrows Wepowder update.
    Ahm I just meant, if somebody wants to share their secret resort, they can PM me. sorry.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Ahm I just meant, if somebody wants to share their secret resort, they can PM me. sorry.
    Hahahs, ok. Thanks anyhow. Hopefully it dumps anyway :-)

None of these resorts offer anything lift served after day one of bluebird. Most of them will be skied out today in semi greybird. Airolo andermatt did not get anything out of this storm. If there still are resorts that offer lift served pow three days after the storm, no one will share them. (But please feel free to send me a pm )
    id say they are all (maybe except airolo, havent been there in like 10 years) completely tracked 2hrs after the lifts open, with two exceptions: at seegrube it takes max 1hr, while davos/klosters might last for 3-4hrs.
    the last "secrets" are also gone, i think i know only two resorts where i would expect to find some untracked on the second good day. and that only during the week, not on weekends.
    its kinda crazy hot stuff changed in 10 years... nowadays you can go skinning at noon on the first day if you want to ski untracked.

freak~[&]

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    id say they are all (maybe except airolo, havent been there in like 10 years) completely tracked 2hrs after the lifts open, with two exceptions: at seegrube it takes max 1hr, while davos/klosters might last for 3-4hrs.
    the last "secrets" are also gone, i think i know only two resorts where i would expect to find some untracked on the second good day. and that only during the week, not on weekends.
    its kinda crazy hot stuff changed in 10 years... nowadays you can go skinning at noon on the first day if you want to ski untracked.

freak~[&]
    I still remember the golden age in those early 2000s. I still know two resorts which are (were? I have not been there in two years because the winters sucked in the north) semiuntracked on the second day. Georgia was kind of cool in that respect, but you cannot go there spontaneously.....

I'm as cool as freak. wooohooo. who would have tought.... I DO have some more on my list which might qualifly. Alas, they never get any snow, unless we get another february 99...as they are deep in the inner alpine drought zone.
    P.S. airolo turned into a shit show in those two good southern winters. Especially in the second one because there was a lot less snow and people were desperately searching for the cool lines they skied in 13/14 (me included). usually they ended up in some bushes that had been buried in 13/14 under 3m of snow. (which would have been on top of the 1.5m in 14/15)

FWIW I skied in a resort today around 45 mins drive from IBK, on the Snow Card, pretty big and well known (begins with A, though I can't imagine it's a secret in any way!!) though more for family holidays, and there was LOTS of untracked left at the end of the day even with clear skies. First time I've ever skied there so no idea if it's normal, but I was amazed at how much untracked lift served there still was (pretty mellow generally admittedly). Sure not as much snow as the west, but with a 30 minute skin you'd be scoring good stuff for a while.

Well, that place is actually kind of a "freeride hotspot", usually tracked out in 3 hrs or so. by tracked out i am of course talking about european tracked out, not american tracked out

freak~[&]

Haha ok, I'd always thought it was well known too - maybe just 'cos it's mid-January? Can't complain at fresh tracks right under the gondola at 3:30 though!

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkleberryFinn View Post
    Can't complain
    Rookie.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Well, that place is actually kind of a "freeride hotspot", usually tracked out in 3 hrs or so. by tracked out i am of course talking about european tracked out, not american tracked out

freak~[&]
    Yeah, I was just about to say: Euro tracked out is ~ 10% of 'Murika tracked out.

Going from USA mega resort to Euro mega resort sometimes has me angry when getting fresh in certain spots. It's like, deep in my soul, I can't understand why no one would have skied that 3 days after a storm.

Maybe it's different in areas closer to population centers, where the shredders can come out of the woodwork, but I find euros track out the opposite type of terrain first. They go for the open/constant slope, most fall line, and least rocky terrain. In the US, people go for the rockiest, most featured, broken terrain first, because they want to slash and stomp in fresh. And all the open stuff has huge moguls under it anyway :-P

ah the good old european definition of tracked, meaning: if you cross tracks on your way down, It's tracked.

edit: and Jrainey. yeah "we" used to avoid avie prone death faces during the first day(s) because we don't have "inbounds", but that has changed, in chamonix and engelberg at least.

ah the good old european definition of tracked, meaning: if you cross tracks on your way down, It's tracked.
    rookie. its tracked when there is one track. if you have to cross another track its totally tracked out -> time to head home (or go skinning).

freak~[&]

that's what I meant. tracked out means there is a track. how else could you define it? The crossing tracks was metaphorical in the sense of seeing. Because seeing is crossing it in your mind, obviously. YOU of all people should know that.

So the wife and I have return flights for Jan 28 to Feb 6th with a rental car booked. Didnt book any accommodations to wait on snow conditions.

Looking for a good amount of freeride with a couple days of ski touring too. We are spending Feb 3 to 6 in Chamonix area but was looking for suggestions on where to go during the rest of the time. Getting a bit stressed that accommodations are booking up fast.

Really wanted to check out Monterosa region, but not sure on conditions. St Anton area looks amazing but accommodations seem quite expensive.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated, willing to drive to find the goods!

As someone arriving the day you are leaving, following advice to make minimal plans, I'm interested in what you are seeing regarding "accommodations are booking up fast".

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    Rookie.
    Hahaha - well I guess the snow was getting a bit heavy after the sun came out

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkleberryFinn View Post
    well I guess the snow was getting a bit heavy after the sun came out
    I know right? And before that the light was super flat.

Quote Originally Posted by m4doyle View Post
    So the wife and I have return flights for Jan 28 to Feb 6th with a rental car booked. Didnt book any accommodations to wait on snow conditions.

Looking for a good amount of freeride with a couple days of ski touring too. We are spending Feb 3 to 6 in Chamonix area but was looking for suggestions on where to go during the rest of the time. Getting a bit stressed that accommodations are booking up fast.

Really wanted to check out Monterosa region, but not sure on conditions. St Anton area looks amazing but accommodations seem quite expensive.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated, willing to drive to find the goods!
    If youve got a car i wouldnt be too worried about not finding a decently priced place to stay. just stay a bit further down the valley from the lifts. e.g. for st. anton, have you checked all the places down to landeck?

as for recommendations on where to go, it would probably be interesting to know where you will be flying to...

freak~[&]

I'm sure it sucked balls. Glad I stayed home. Rookies...

I'll try again. Change off plans.... At least maybe. Wepowder, and others, say that the Abruzzo will get hammered this weekend.
    Considering to jump on a plane to Rome friday and head into the Abruzzo from there.
    A bit of research shows terrain and resorts, but I'm on my phone so it's a bit difficult to get a feeling for the possibilities.

Anybody know anything about skiing in the region?

There is good skiing there in resorts (e.g. roccaraso) and touring. The problem is that lots of stuff is forbidden (or only allowed on march 2nd, if it is a monday, or on the birthday of the mayor etc.)...

freak~[&]

Absolutley off the hook at the end of the Lechtal today! Deep, cold and empty

There is good skiing there in resorts (e.g. roccaraso) and touring. The problem is that lots of stuff is forbidden (or only allowed on march 2nd, if it is a monday, or on the birthday of the mayor etc.)...

freak~[&]
    Thanks. Roccaraso looks decent. Any tips re logistics? Bus from Rome, stay in Roccaraso and skibusses or taxis locally?

Several thousand people are without power and water in the Abruzzo and road access to some towns appears to be cut off. I would plan for some things maybe not working as expected.

but but it will be teh deepness!
    the weather in the Alps does not look very promising, so I'll get out one last weekend and hope for the best after that. and I had hoped the winter had finally started....

First day of skiing after the meter and a half w got in the French pyrenees.

Fantastic skiing, wind compacted powder, begging for high speed turns.