Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Karma Project Bike: An interesting development

One of the big parts I've been trying to come up for the Karma project bike is a fork that is appropriate for the AS-X. Taking a long shot, I fired off the email below to a well known mountain bike publication:

Dear Well Known Mountain Bike Publication,

My name is IG and I live in Park City, Utah. I've been known to spend time with a passionate bunch of people from all walks of life on Teton Gravity Research, an internet forum. Admittedly, some of these passionate people are probably logging-in from federal penitentiaries, but most of them are good folks. Among many other pursuits and topics of discussion, what brings all of us together is our love of riding and skiing.

I recently started a thread soliciting parts to build what I am calling the Karma project bike. I would prefer not to put the website or details of the project out there for public consumption, but I have included a link to the thread so you can see what I am trying to accomplish. Based on the generous donation of parts and cash I have received so far, it would appear I will be able complete the project in time for someone in need to get a new bike before the spring thaw.

I am writing you because the one component I am missing, and not likely to receive, is a suitable fork. I am hoping through your vast list of industry contacts you can help me find a fork with 150 to 180mm of travel. You know what they say about beggars and choosers, so I am not asking for a new fork. A fork that is used and in need of a rebuild would be fine as it's in keeping with the nature of the project.

Please feel free to call or write if you would like to discuss the Karma project bike with me.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
    IG

I've now exchanged several emails with the Well Known Mountain Bike Publication. And yesterday I received the email pasted below:

Hey IG:

Didn’t find a fork, but I did find a brand new hardtail that is missing some parts. I could put everything in a box and send it to you. I know it is not what you are looking for, but maybe you could barter what I send you.

Interested? Send me an address.

Well Known Mountain Bike Publication

On it's way to my door is a four or five year old, never ridden Commencal aluminum hardtail that is missing the cranks and front wheel.

I see several options.

A.) Finish the bike and sell it. Then use the money to finish the Karma project bike.
    B.) Part out the hardtail and use the money to finish the Karma project bike.
    C.) Start working on Karma project bike II

I'll post pictures of the bike when it arrives. In the meantime, what do you think we should do with the Commencal?
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Build it for Karma 2 to keep the project going is my vote.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Sell it and use the money to get a proper fork for Karma I.
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mrryde View Post
    Sell it and use the money to get a proper fork for Karma I.
    I'd go with that, unless you see another fork solution appearing soon.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Karma II is my vote. Get someone (maybe a kid) who wants to enter mountain biking in the first place and doesn't need a long travel bike to begin riding xc on local trails. That is how I got into it, the same with many of my friends. My first bike was an old Schwinn Moab that a friend gave me when I was in high school and it changed my life. I've since passed that bike along to someone else, who has now had the same experience.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Easy to say it is a good start on Karma II, but if Karma I is not going to ever get a fork, then parting it out maybe the only solution for Karma I completion.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Easy to say it is a good start on Karma II, but if Karma I is not going to ever get a fork, then parting it out maybe the only solution for Karma I completion.
    Well, and if it just needs a front wheel and cranks, that might not be as bad to find and sell it as a complete bike.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Selling it for Karma I probably makes more rational sense, but I vote to get started on Karma II! Oh, and I'll send you my stuff later this week, finally.

I've got a crank I'm willing to donate if you do Karma II.

I have a Lyric U-Turn Coil with a 1.5 steerer tube. It is in great shape. I would sell it for cheap!

Finish it with donated parts, sell/auction it, then donate the proceeds. It'd be Karma Bike II, but the counterbalance to Karma Bike I.

If the Commencial needs a QR front wheel I've got one for it in SLC. Alex DP20 rim on a Shimano hub off a Scott Voltage DJer, would be nice if someone could get some use out of it. I guess my vote would be for Karma 2 just to get somone else stoked on MTBing but completely understand if the other options win out.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    If the Commencial needs a QR front wheel I've got one for it in SLC. Alex DP20 rim on a Shimano hub off a Scott Voltage DJer, would be nice if someone could get some use out of it. I guess my vote would be for Karma 2 just to get somone else stoked on MTBing but completely understand if the other options win out.
    I believe the Commencal hardtail has rim brakes. Will your front wheel work with rim brakes?

Fingers crossed.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I believe the Commencal hardtail has rim brakes. Will your front wheel work with rim brakes?

Fingers crossed.
    damn, think it's disc only. I'll double check when I get home Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post

Fingers crossed.
    Does the fork have disc mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    Does the fork have disc mounts?
    Yes, the fork and rear stays have disc mounts.

As nearly as I can tell the Commencal is a 2006 Combi VB (v-brake).

http://www.bikeinn.com/bike/commencal-combi-vb/7885/p

I'll have to come back and edit this later, right now I have to go clear the driveway and then ski POW. It's dumping!

So I finally took some photos and an inventory of what's missing from the Commencal Combi VB.

What is there:
    Frame: NUTS Aluminum - 15 1/5" center-to-center
    Fork: Suntour XCR
    Brakes: Avid Single Digit 3s
    Brake Levers: Avid
    Shifters: Sram X7
    Front derailleur: Shimano Deore
    Rear derailleur: Sram X7
    Rear wheel: Commencal hub, Sun CR18 rim
    Cassette: Shimano
    Tire: Kenda Karma 26X2.00 ... coincidence?
    Cockpit: Commencal seatpost and bars

What's missing:
    Crankset - probably needs a 170mm (?) for a square taper BB
    Chain
    Front wheel - rim brakes
    Tire & tube
    Headset top bearing cap/cover
    Stem - 1 1/8" steertube, 25 or 25.4mm bar clamp
    Saddle

The Bontrager stem doesn't fit, it's keeping the bars from flopping around.

Once again, do we finish the Commencal and sell it to finish the Yeti or is the Commencal the basis for Karma Project Bike II?

yo, i have a 180mm domain 318 that's pretty beat up and needs rebuilding, and i'm most likely just buying a much nicer fork since the voltage i have deserves it. i don't think there's a huge market for these things used since you can find them for like 3-400 online, so i may be able to spare it. not much of a tech geek when it comes to bike so i don't know the specifics, but if it might work send me a PM.

I have a crankset and BB for the Commencal. Unfortunately nothing for a front wheel but if you want the cranks they are all yours. I say build it as it is almost done. I will snag a headset from work on tuesday as well since finding a top cap and the rest of the parts will likely be harder than just getting a new one.

I have a rim brake front wheel and a saddle.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Nice, thank you Missiongravity and hitek79.

PMs coming.

i have a chain and tube for it... let me look for an xc tire...

hmm... miss working at the bike shop right now...
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    i have a chain and tube for it... let me look for an xc tire...

hmm... miss working at the bike shop right now...
    Thanks MO!

Don't tell me you left that big box of parts behind. If so, that would explain why the Brown Santa hasn't stopped by with your care package.

I picked up some parts for Missiongravity today, thank you.

I don't know what it is or who it's from, but UPS is bringing something to my house in the next few days.

Unless some people come through with the remaining parts I need for the Karma project bike pretty quickly, I am going to make an executive decision about the Commencal. Among other things, I need shifters and derailleurs for the AS-X, so I am taking the X-7 parts from the Commencal. This also means I will be parting out the rest of the Commencal.