Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    AND ski the Hankin Evelyn BC Project cuz its just so fucking far from anywhere to get up here BUT maybe people would come up and ski several small areas, maybe include Powder king ?
    QFT buddy, QFT.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

hey folks, a few questions for going to shames after reading
    http://friendsofshames.ca/ and http://www.visitterrace.com/

flying to terrace from vancouver via hawk air is like CA$500, and i have to haul gear from seattle to vancouver airport somehow. driving is like 19 hours one way on google maps, of course there is no snow in this estimate. can't imagine bus would be faster.

i can imagine that i'd still need a car once i get to town to ski around.

can i ferry the car from vancouver vicinity in the winter?

really, the question is how i can, in a reasonable amount of time, get from seattle to terrace and back considering that i'd need to haul gear and need a car. for 19 hours drive, like what xxx-er said, there are lots of other options, albeit with far more people on the slopes.

as to lodging, is there a place that offers breakfast and dinner (home cooking best) plus lodging? as long as there is hot water, shower/bath, food, clean bed, it's good enough for me.

I can't help with the lodging question but there is this weekends only bus service - http://friendsofshames.ca/index.php?...116&Itemid=148

Quote Originally Posted by keipow View Post

flying to terrace from vancouver via hawk air is like CA$500, and i have to haul gear from seattle to vancouver airport somehow. driving is like 19 hours one way on google maps, of course there is no snow in this estimate. can't imagine bus would be faster.

really, the question is how i can, in a reasonable amount of time, get from seattle to terrace and back considering that i'd need to haul gear and need a car. for 19 hours drive, like what xxx-er said, there are lots of other options, albeit with far more people on the slopes.

as to lodging, is there a place that offers breakfast and dinner (home cooking best) plus lodging? as long as there is hot water, shower/bath, food, clean bed, it's good enough for me.
    What's your budget?
    How much time do you have?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

last year jack mormon the roomie got back to the excited states for x-mas by taking the train from smithers to PG, the bus to vancover, the train to seattle and a cheap flight home to Utah

You can do a ferry/drive/ferry/drive from Van to Terrace in the winter although the sailings are infrequent so it may take a while and require some logistics.

Although, the inside passage is one of the greatest landscapes in the world. (Go now before the tankers take over)

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    You can do a ferry/drive/ferry/drive from Van to Terrace in the winter although the sailings are infrequent so it may take a while and require some logistics.

Although, the inside passage is one of the greatest landscapes in the world. (Go now before the tankers take over)
    The ferry takes that route to service small towns and to avoid weather why would a tanker be using the current Hardy to PR ferry route. Ever.

Taking the ferry/drive/fery/drive also takes considerably longer than driving

The ferry is an overnight ordeal, and the weather usually sucks this time of year. It's a great summer trip, though.

IF the Enbridge Northern Gateway project goes through, there will be tankers plying parts of the inside passage. Not necessarily the same route as the ferry, but there will be tankers.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Not to derail the thread to much (way to go Terrace- are you referred to as Terrarists?)

But, BOTS - here are the proposed tanker routes:

http://pipeupagainstenbridge.ca/imag...ersOut2009.pdf

Here is the inside passage route:
    http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/inside/

They bang into each other around Hartley Bay.

Ferry's can't navigate that route safely, but according to Enbridge we shouldn't worry about oil tankers.

Quote Originally Posted by keipow View Post

you can take the alaska marine highway from bellingham to prince rupert
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Hanging out on Hangover

Some shots on Hangover last Saturday. Excuse the lack of light, and photog's talent...

So it was our official opening (yeah I know, a month after real opening...), anyway there was crazy fun live music dance party madness Friday night in Rupert, Saturday night in Terrace. A band called Maria in the Shower came up from Van to headline both nights and were joined in Rupert by a Terrace band called King Crow and the Ladies from Hell. In Terrace, Maria was backed up by some kids from Kispiox, Hazelton and Smithers called The Racket. Kinda fun, I showed up at the Terrace gig and discovered the bass player in the Racket was Missus garyfromterrace's cousin. The young lad ripped it up. Both gigs did an all ages performance before the elder crowd got wasted.

Sunday at the resort was a bunch of fun stuff including tobogganing, salmon & burger bar b q, and live music in the lodge. Got some of the lodge music on vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHXze0OnO6w
    fishermans blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inmvqwjYHLk
    valley town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghr6tWUSa68
    rocks in the box

All in all a great time. Amazing conditions continue (now the arctic outflows have stopped) and it's really good to see the ski community in town stoked and galvanized.

One little sobering moment recently though. We had an out of town couple head out BC and trigger a good sized slide completely burying one of them. Very luckily she survived after what has been estimated at a 10 minute burial. It's the first incident of a complete burial in the Shames BC for perhaps 10 years, and it was (as most incidents are) avoidable. Please, if you do come here heed local advise and the CAA avi web site recommendations and discussion boards. The slide happened within view of the chairlift on a feature that gets climbed regularly (the Dome). Be safe out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6812.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	970.0 KB 
ID:	108408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6754.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	681.4 KB 
ID:	108409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6834.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	813.4 KB 
ID:	108410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6599.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	372.5 KB 
ID:	108411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6609.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	845.2 KB 
ID:	108412  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6643.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	542.6 KB 
ID:	108413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6397.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	876.8 KB 
ID:	108414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6343.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	884.2 KB 
ID:	108415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6395.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	956.6 KB 
ID:	108416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6423.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	632.3 KB 
ID:	108417  

Last edited by garyfromterrace; 01-22-2012 at 06:37 PM.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post

A band called Maria in the Shower came up from Van to headline both nights .
    How did they end up in terrace in the middle of winter ? I seen that band at a couple of folk fests last summer and they are best described as weird turned up to 11 but they are entertaining

we still have one spot on the burnie trip, we need a drummer cuz Bill from "the ski bums" is coming with his guitar , make the call gary ...you know you want to

Way to go Shames and My Mountain Co-op

http://www.2012.coop/

We have been selected as one of the 365 co-operatives being profiled by the United Nations....and TODAY is our day! Please take the time to visit and share www.2012.coop ,

"2012 has been recognised as the International Year of Co-operatives by the United Nations. This is an acknowledgement by the international community that co-operatives drive the economy, respond to social change, are resilent to the global economic crisis and are serious successful businesses creating jobs in all sectors." (www.2012.coop)

Enjoy the snow!

We're #4

Not #1 but respectable. And it's snowing J

http://unofficialnetworks.com/20-dee...rica-ii-71028/

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    How did they end up in terrace in the middle of winter ? I seen that band at a couple of folk fests last summer and they are best described as weird turned up to 11 but they are entertaining

we still have one spot on the burnie trip, we need a drummer cuz Bill from "the ski bums" is coming with his guitar , make the call gary ...you know you want to
    Well a plane makes it easier, and yeah saw em at the Kispiox festie too so knew to expect the weirdness.
    Damn, want to go to Burnie with you guys, when you going again?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Way to go Shames and My Mountain Co-op

http://www.2012.coop/

We have been selected as one of the 365 co-operatives being profiled by the United Nations....and TODAY is our day! Please take the time to visit and share www.2012.coop ,

"2012 has been recognised as the International Year of Co-operatives by the United Nations. This is an acknowledgement by the international community that co-operatives drive the economy, respond to social change, are resilent to the global economic crisis and are serious successful businesses creating jobs in all sectors." (www.2012.coop)

Enjoy the snow!
    Thanks for posting that Lee, see ya when you get here. Thanks so much for your help early on, it was lots of help from lots of people that made it work (so far).

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Well a plane makes it easier, and yeah saw em at the Kispiox festie too so knew to expect the weirdness.
    Damn, want to go to Burnie with you guys, when you going again?.
    Yeah but air travel to up here is so fucking expensive

Burnie is April 6-13 and I think your drum is already up at the lodge

I'm fairly sure that 139 inches is only our mid mountain base. I think there's more at the top of the t bar.

Been looking at flights but making 2 connections and spending 13 hours on a plane is tough duty to still end up in North America. The deciding factor, as always, will probably come down to prostitutes.

Do you have any whorehouses that rival something like the Club Jasmin in Salzburg? Or if not, do your whorehouses at least import girls from Slovenia and Romania? I can't live on a diet of big-boned gals from Southern Alberta.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    Been looking at flights but making 2 connections and spending 13 hours on a plane is tough duty to still end up in North America. The deciding factor, as always, will probably come down to prostitutes.

I can tell you that it'll probably be slim pickings. The touring is pretty awesome though and if you're there early to mid March you should tag along on some of the tours. There's one Chinese food restaurant there which isn't bad and that's my criteria for civilization

Been looking at flights but making 2 connections and spending 13 hours on a plane is tough duty to still end up in North America.
    Waaaaa.... come on you a man, or what...

The deciding factor, as always, will probably come down to prostitutes.

Do you have any whorehouses that rival something like the Club Jasmin in Salzburg? Or if not, do your whorehouses at least import girls from Slovenia and Romania? I can't live on a diet of big-boned gals from Southern Alberta.
    Sad to say the whorehouses here are about the same as those in any small canadian rural town. Nowhere near the caliber of fine Austrian whorehouses I am sure.

However, as of Monday there was 1.9m of fresh (about 6 feet) in 7 days, which is more than the base at most hills in NA.
    Our mid mountain base is now 4.7m (about 15 feet).

Curious Lee - which restaurant did you consider not bad?

www.mymountaincoop.ca

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while, Shames looks sooo sick. I was thinking I would head up for a week or so this winter. But it seems like friends and family keep on saying they're going to come out to see me in mid-late march, which was when I was planning on going. So I've got a few questions:

When do the lifts stop spinning at Shames? From what I thought I heard, spring was a good time to go because it stopped snowing and you could actually see something. And the snowpack got good and stable. Is that about right?

Quote Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
    , Shames looks sooo sick.
    That is correct

When do the lifts stop spinning at Shames?
    Likely 2nd week in April

From what I thought I heard, spring was a good time to go because it stopped snowing and you could actually see something.
    Well I'm no fortune teller but generally it stops snowing in spring, and then becomes rain, and eventually changes to summer. However if you want dates I can't help you. We can also have snow events in the spring. You can see something generally all the time if you're in the trees, or if it's not snowing or raining and it is sunny. These "sun events" do seem to happen in all of our four seasons.

And the snowpack got good and stable. Is that about right?
    Well stability is a factor of the season's weather events, the conditions that day, the slope aspect and gradient that you're skiing. While it's true that generally the summer snowpack is more stable, I wouldn't make a blanket statement like "the snowpack is good and stable in the spring". There was an avalanche cycle a couple of April's ago where everything in the Shames BC ran about size 3 or 4.

Not being a smart-ass here, and we'd love you to come but skiing is a pretty weather sensitive sport and you can have any kind of weather up here any time of the year. Cheers!

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Well stability is a factor of the season's weather events, the conditions that day, the slope aspect and gradient that you're skiing. While it's true that generally the summer snowpack is more stable, I wouldn't make a blanket statement like "the snowpack is good and stable in the spring". There was an avalanche cycle a couple of April's ago where everything in the Shames BC ran about size 3 or 4.

Not being a smart-ass here, and we'd love you to come but skiing is a pretty weather sensitive sport and you can have any kind of weather up here any time of the year. Cheers!
    Thanks for putting up with the dumb questions. It's not that far of a drive (a solid day), so I'll just keep my ear to the ground and head up when it looks really nice (and crummy down here).

Thanks for putting up with the dumb questions. It's not that far of a drive (a solid day), so I'll just keep my ear to the ground and head up when it looks really nice (and crummy down here).
    From KMR to Shames is more like 2 solid days of driving. Here is my estimate: Golden to Kamloops-4 hours; Kamloops to Prince George: 7 hours; Prince George to Shames: 6 hours. Total 17 hours without adding fuel and meal stops or factoring in winter driving conditions.

You might be able to shave some time off the Kamloops to Prince section by travelling up the Yellow Head (Highway #5) to Little Fort and then heading west on #24 to #97.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    From KMR to Shames is more like 2 solid days of driving. Here is my estimate: Golden to Kamloops-4 hours; Kamloops to Prince George: 7 hours; Prince George to Shames: 6 hours. Total 17 hours without adding fuel and meal stops or factoring in winter driving conditions.

You might be able to shave some time off the Kamloops to Prince section by travelling up the Yellow Head (Highway #5) to Little Fort and then heading west on #24 to #97.
    Toronto -> KHMR was 2 solid days for me and my bro.

17 hours was what google said as well. With the aux lights on my car, driving at night ain't so bad. I will time it such that I can get some bluebird when I get there, so driving snow and such shouldn't really be an issue. Anyways, I'll just drive and if I need to stop for some sleep, I can just change it to a 2-day plan.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post

it is the same either way