Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

"My" Mountain Co-op Launches Today

Hey maggots! After about a year and a half of meetings, study, meetings, talking with lawyers, meetings and studies we’ve decided to go for it. "My" Mountain Co-op is now a reality. We are launching today at Shames! The Shames Mtn. Ski Area needs financial help. We realize this and are stepping up to the plate by forming a Community Service Cooperative with the sole purpose of keeping our little gem open in a sustainable, environmentally and fiscally responsible way.
    We have targeted a goal of raising 2 million dollars to allow for the purchase, operating budget and capital improvements. Shares in the cooperative will be $299.00 for an individual membership and $599.00 for a corporate membership.

OK – so where do you mags come into this? Well, if you’re feeling flush - your share will help immensely. What do you get? A share in a ski area, one of the coolest little places to ski on the planet with immense touring/side country possibilities; a warm fuzzy feeling that you helped fellow skiers keep their ski area running; vast civic ski community pride when proudly displaying your share on the beer fridge! Not to mention first right of refusal for proposed land development up there. And that’s only for starters. More perks will be announced as we figure them out. Count on discounts for: accommodation; possibly (hopefully) flights; meals in town… we’re working on it but are very confident that your share cost may be offset by some screaming deals from local businesses and merchants.

Where does your hard earned money go? The revenue from the sales of memberships will be used to purchase the hill and provide operating capital. The format of a community service cooperative allows for access to development funds for non-profit groups. Profits from the ski hill makes will be reinvested into the cooperative the members would see in the form of upgraded facilities, membership discounts, etc. The cooperative will be established by the Friends of Shames (registered non-profit society), under the name of MY MOUNTAIN COOP. This name will be used until the First Annual General Meeting (AGM) of all the cooperative members, at which time the membership can decide on the name of the cooperative/ski hill area.

The THREE key cornerstones of My Mountain Cooperative are:
    1. Sustainability: by being financially and environmentally responsible,
    2. Community-based: by developing partnerships with like minded organizations, affordable and inclusive and,
    3. Innovative: in governance structure and process, with financing and partnership arrangements, in navigating to a 'green' operating environment and being creative in response to expansion, opportunities and challenges.

I will attempt to answer any questions you may have, however I’m currently on holidays in Europe (just skied Pec Pod Snezkou & Harrachov in Czech Rep. – thanks for the beta Euro mags Jiri & Uli) and may not get back to you quickly. I would refer you to the website for general information.

http://www.friendsofshames.ca

By the way – Euro Mags are more than invited to participate, some Swedish and Finnish lads were pretty stoked about our hill when me and some of the lads showed them around a couple of weeks back. Of course U.S., Australian and Russian mags are also welcome (not to mention Indonesian, Japanese and South American as well).

Look to some press (North American and Euro) coming out soon.

Thanks eh!
    Be a part of Canada's 1st Ski Co-op.
    Buy a share, have a say.
    Together, we can own a ski hill.

edit - put " marks around the "My" because it sure read like it was my (garyfromterrace's) coop. Well it is kind of, but it's "yours" too.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

awesume !

I will have to finaly make the big 2hr drive out west

Maybe it's just my reading comprehension... but your post doesn't make clear if the share will include free or at least discounted lift access?

Sick. Shames has been on my hit list for a while now. Glad to see the community getting together for all our benefit. When I scrape some cash together after school this year, count me in.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

uhhh..benefits

yeah so like um a major part of a co-op is offering incentives to your members and apparently they like really suk are you havent thought of any yet...so yeah first tip on farming investors is telling us what our investment gets us...other than a warm fuzzy feeling..

ok ok ... i found em on your web. Decent but peeps ain't gonna be pullin the trigger till they see something like "gauranteed early ups" at least thats my feelings.. youre remote and you have to offer some sort of competitive advantage over any of the other resorts. You have sick terrain and i you have garnered the attention of the community. but you offer needs something more compelling than the "early bird rate".. for example gauranteed hour early ups would seal the deal for alot of folks.. jus my .02

Quote Originally Posted by powdreams View Post
    yeah so like um a major part of a co-op is offering incentives to your members and apparently they like really suk are you havent thought of any yet...so yeah first tip on farming investors is telling us what our investment gets us...other than a warm fuzzy feeling..
    ok ok ... i found em on your web. Decent but peeps ain't gonna be pullin the trigger till they see something like "gauranteed early ups" at least thats my feelings.. youre remote and you have to offer some sort of competitive advantage over any of the other resorts. You have sick terrain and i you have garnered the attention of the community. but you offer needs something more compelling than the "early bird rate".. for example gauranteed hour early ups would seal the deal for alot of folks.. jus my .02
    Shut the fuck up.

Shames

Is

Badass.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

i dont get ur point pontus. yes shames is badass i agree. the benefits the prospective co-op offers are a bit lackluster... there gonna have to be you know "eye opening" not so so. They wanna raise 2 million bones so if they desire that to become a reality they need to offer a better incentive to join the club....eh

I heart these threads.

They always start out like a new car fresh from the dealer and then end with musplatter, dented fenders and missing hubcaps.

before y'all drag this one thru the mud someone should point out there have been time when you could jet to europe from vancover for the $$$ they want to fly you into terrace on a turbo prop and its a 16hrs drive from the nearest major city in good weather ... who is still in?

SO IMO this coop is likely gona be a local initiative for the skiers of Prince Rupert/Terrace /Kitimat

what it gets a local is a place to ski ,cuz their only other option for lift acessed skiing is to drive 2.5hrs to hudsons bay mountain from terrace ,or 4.5 hrs from PR or 4hrs from kitimat

Drive B.C. says its 15 and half hours to get there from here! FARK !!!
    I'd really like to go but thats best case senario !!! in wintrer ???
    If I had a pad there maybe, but sorry, I can get to Whistler in 8 and a half hours for a shit ton more inbounds ...
    and between golden and fernie I have shit going off! too many travel days.

sorry. but $300 sounds resonable if you include some cool perks ... hookers and blow ???
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

the 1st time I blew into terrace to go WW paddling was in 2000 I got out of the truck looked around at the moutains and glaciers and said "wow this place looks amazing,if this was colorado there would be chi-chi coffee bars with fox fur clad movie stars on every corner and a bungalow would cost half a million $ but we are in terrace SO a bungalow is <100k and everybody at the Tim Hortons is wearing Starter jackets "

the WWpaddling is epic BTW I havent done that river but they tell me there is a good creeking right at shames in summer

you will probably have to come north and try to hang out , think nelson ... 25yrs ago

I once spent a month in Shames and was befriended by the local skiers and it was one of the best experiences of my life. The kindness and rad skiing they showed me was unbelievable.
    I live 20 hrs by car away but I'm still going try and buy a share if only for bragging rights.
    BUT I want a bumper sticker.... why no stickers Gary?
    Can't we have stickers that say " Shames Mountain Shareholder" to put on our rigs???
    Well done Gary.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Good luck, Garry. Hope it works out for you and your home mountain.
    Life is not lift served.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Just how many people do you think make it to Shames Mountain? Show up and you've got the ups.

Hugh has it right ,we were lapping side country pow yesturday at HB mountain and it hasnt snowed in a week ... I am betting this would not be normal in most ski areas ?

the hard part is showing up and then if if you wana stay ... making it work

"guaranteed early ups" at Shames: heh - that is pretty funny.

Last edited by wendigo; 02-21-2011 at 10:54 AM.

"I Like BIG Dumps"

Skied Shames over the holidays (including Boxing Day?) a few years back,

great snow, killer access, and above all generous and kind people.

-Good Luck to the people of Terrace and the Shames cooperative.

looks like another crowded day at a northern BC ski hill

the ski hills up here are so small and the population of skiers so limited they are usualy only open 4 maybe 5 days if you are lucky and they can't afford to pay the staff for early anything besides that being furtehr north means <8hrs of daylight in december

actualy shames is way closer to AK than any major center in BC

I hereby guarantee "early ups". That's right, show up at 9am and you will be the first on the chair EVERY time. I also can provide FREE, yup free accommodation for maggots who buy a share. Show up at my place from March 20 to season close and you can stay for FREE at my house. Bumper stickers to come Scotsman, for sure! Discounted lift tickets? Look dude, if you're hung up on getting a % off your $35 lift ticket I will personally pay a 5% discount for your first 7 days of skiing ($12.25) if you buy a share powdreams. Thanks for your support guys. Let all your friends know.
    Does anyone have any ideas for other forums/chat rooms to get this out. I'm going to throw something on TTips, Biglines and Doglotion. Anywhere else worthy?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Our Minister of Parliament likes us

Our MP (kind of like a US senator I think), put us on his "good news" page.

http://nathancullen.com/goodnews/art..._co_operative/

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Nathan is way cool ,so is Doug Donaldson the provincial MLA both are NDP ,this whole area is NDP pretty much because of the 1st nations vote ,not many people up here and those that are here ... were here 1st

much respect....

A quick update on where we are at:
    We've thus far raised about $300K, yes it aint $2M, but we are finally getting our fancy corporate packages together and getting some high falootin sweet talking guys in suits geared up to knock on the doors of the BIG guns in the neighborhood. To date we've had some big buy in from some small players - a local non profit (Mount Remo Back Country Society with 23 current members) bucked up for $26K; a local construction company (Progressive Ventures with about 20 employees) contributed $10.6K, another local non-profit - the Prince Rupert Back Country Society is in for $10K; and a local grocer, Copperside Foods is in for a minimum of $10K. Some big players in the area are giving us some good vibes back, now I just hope they come to the party. If any of ya'll know of some rich buddies send em our way - $100K would get you a run named after your company (or you), numerous corp passes, a bunch of other perks and my un-dying love. Thanks for your support TGR!

www.mymountaincoop.ca

I've asked Gary to provide an update, but he hasn't replied?

In case you haven't heard, there has been a lot of action lately.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_north/...128243198.html

http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_north/...128245118.html

And from Facebook

"Too little, and probably too late...

I would like to tell you that your fund raising efforts have been absolutely pathetic. We, my family, have spent a lot (!) of money on this buying a mountain business in the hope that we could keep Shames. In return we expected you, the fundraisers, to put in a concerted, persistent effort. In the beginning the advertising was ok, not exactly great, then it died all down completely, to the point where one did not hear a thing for several months - not on radio, not in the papers, not in the shops, nowhere. Now, you suddenly seem to have woken up and are making these pathetic last ditch attempts incl. talking about hare brained schemes like using tax payers money - what a great way to antagonize the community. By now I am fairly disillusioned and have absolutely no faith that we/you will be able to pull this off. Go home, you have let us all down.

Barbara Brauer
    PS. And yes, I will send similar comments to the papers."

Can we please get an update?
    Last edited by Skeenalady; 08-23-2011 at 12:36 PM.
    Loving life in NW BC!