Calling all Mac nerds.....quad core or dual core??????

I've finally decided to pull the trigger on a 27" imac. Been debating on Macpro vs imac for a long time and figured that with all the smartphone shit, apps, ipads, ect that portability isn't really an issue.
    So, basically i'll be using it for music editing (ableton, reason), mild photo editing, browsing, and would like to eventually try my hand at video editing. Question is, is the quad core really necessary over the dual core for my meager needs?
    I realize that all the programs in the future are all moving towards quad core processing, but i'm really not pushing the envelope of the dual core, and i've found a great deal on a refurbished 27" i3, 4g ram, 5670 graphic card....for $1450. Not sure if the extra $300+ for a quad is worth it.

So, those of you with Macs...whadya think?
    (This is popping my Mac cherry, BTW).

Fats-

If your are going to do any sort of video editing, get the quad core.
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mrryde View Post
    If your are going to do any sort of video editing, get the quad core.
    [/thread]

FU8Characters

^^^would the dual core i3 be enough for the basic shit I listed above (ableton, reason, ect)?????

For music I think that any modern computer will do. I recorded an album for my band on a Pentium 4 with 1.5Gigs of ram with no problems although I wasn't running a huge number of effects which was biggest limit on what we could do.

Is the $300 worth it? Probably not in the short term but you also have to think about the time scale of replacement. Will the $300 invested now allow you to put off buying another computer by a year? two? What's the max ram for each of them (about the only thing you can upgrade on a Mac)?

That's what I wasn't sure about....being able to upgrade the processor later if need be (mac noob).
    The i3 has the capability to upgrade to 16gs of RAM, which should be enough to support my planned NASA mission next year.

I cut a full HD half-hour program on a Mac mini. The ONLY reason to go with a Quad is if you plan on doing heavy renders and transcodes. FCP does not utilize multiple cores so you would see zero speed increase editing video between the two. Best bang for the buck is the highest clock speed you can afford while maximizing the ram.

For example, my 2.8 Quad with 16GB ram smokes the hell out of my friends octo-core 2.4 with 6GB ram. Sam After Effects project and everything, multicore enabled and my cheaper 4-core smokes the 8-core. My much higher clock speed and more ram bested the octo.

Simple fact of the matter is there are very few apps out there that allow you to harness the power of the hardware available. Hardware is light years ahead of software at this point.
    Last edited by gameface; 02-18-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Not a Mac expert- but: Take a look at the actual software you will be using- it will have a listing of specifications needed- memory, CPU, etc. and would be the best recommendation. If it is a package that does not even detect and support the multiple threading cores then Quad core would not help very much over a dual core, unless you are the type that has 4 or 5 things open at once and switches between apps (in which case get more memory than you think you need.)

Thanks for the info guys. Going to pull the trigger on the 27" i3 tonight.
    TR to follow

Fats-