Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Salvage title, wire transfer, New Jersey...

I'll keep everyone updated as this unfolds, but here's the story.... A dude I know, Ben, "bought" a Subaru off the internet for $2500.00. He sent the money via Western Union wire transfer. When he emailed the guy to arrange pick up, the guy said the car HAD to be shipped, because it had a salvage title. My man decided he was going to go anyway.... The seller said the car had no headlights, so Ben decided he would get the car and get it fixed up enough to drive from New Jersey back to upper Michigan. As we speak, he's on a Greyhound on the way to Joisey.

Any bets how this is going to turn out????
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

I bet he ends up as a trans-gender prostitute in Beijing.

I knew the american auto industry was dead, but I had no idea that people from MI were driving half way across the country to pay $2.5K for beat to shit subbies - let alone risking being sold into sex slavery..

If this doesn't pan out, and your friend doesn't end up as a chick with a dick, I've got a rusted out honda he can have for $5K.... And I promise not to touch his cornhole.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    Any bets how this is going to turn out????
    Your buddy wakes up in a bathtub full of ice and his kidney's are missing?

Joisey next to NY, Is the greatest place with the most wonderful people on Earth. Tv, Movies and Media give us a bad rap.

Have your friend contat me if he is in the north end of the state maybe I can help him out.
    "Hold my beer...Watch this!"

Your friend got scammed. As to what happens in Jersey...

$2500 lesson in stupidity
    holy fucking shitballs

Quote Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
    $2500 lesson in stupidity
    Actually more than that- add the bus ticket to the money order for the vehicle. One saving he may have is that the scammers never expect the person to show up in person. Could possibly help that he will be able to pursue the scam listing with the local police or talk to the the local District Attorney if there in fact no car waiting for him.

His new pimp will be waiting at the greyhound station.
    Living vicariously through myself.

I don't really see how this will end well. Subarus, slow public transport, salvage titles and seedy car sellers.....Ok I will stop now. Could be nouveau country song if it was a pickup......

yeah I have the album
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

jgb@etree Guest
    I'm just wondering why they guy wired the $$$ via Western Union if he is heading out to pickup the car in person?

Is your buddy a big feller??

This is the worst pain EVER!

Doesn't sound good. Best of luck to him. I've got a 96 rotting in the driveway that needs a trans. It ain't salvaged and I'd let it go for less than half that, hell less than half of half of that. Is this your buddies first time buying a car?

Does he actually think he isn't getting scammed?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

This may end badly. There is a strong likelihood that the "seller" doesn't own the car at all.

When I started shopping for a car last year, I found a "great deal" on Craigslist. The seller even had the VIN number for the car. This was another "need to ship the car" type deal. However, when I googled the VIN number, it turned out that the vehicle was not in Montana, but rather was being sold by a dealership in Florida, which had never heard of the "seller"... I asked. I am not sure that the seller even really existed, either.

Same old story: if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Cleveland Steamer Guest
    Your friend has been scammed have him extract the headers from the email and copy them then go here http://www.iptrackeronline.com/ then click on the button that says "Email header analysis" paste the header into the box and submit And I will bet you money that the IP resolves to Nigeria.
    That tool will not work on gmail addresses it works on yahoo and hotmail and the ISP address you get from your provider.

Cleveland Steamer Guest
    Oh and for fucks sake before you buy anything on craigslist Google the sellers name and email address 9 times out of 10 there will be reports of the name/email being connected to a scam.

Heh! I had the name "Cleveland Steamers" for my fantasy football team for years...

Yeah, this dude is definitely fucked. Not exactly my "buddy," just I guy that I know. I actually heard the details secondhand from a friend of mine. Can't wait to see how it turns out, but I vote that there is no car, and the address he is going to is an abandoned warehouse or something.

At least he'll have a long ass bus ride home to think about how goddam stupid an idea this was.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

Cleveland Steamer Guest
    I sell stuff on craigslist all the time when I get bored I fuck with the scammers, They think all americans are stupid and will send them money.
    As a matter of fact there was a scammer I was fucking with who claimed to be from New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleveland Steamer View Post
    I sell stuff on craigslist all the time when I get bored I fuck with the scammers, They think all americans are stupid and will send them money.
    Well.... evidently some Americans are.
    - Phunk

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    I'm just wondering why they guy wired the $$$ via Western Union if he is heading out to pickup the car in person?
    Thought the same- except maybe the bus ticket was a thought after requiring the car be shipped.

It's funny that you have a picture of Ben as your avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Koons View Post
    Amirite? Am I fuckin rite? Somebody testify. Gun held sideways. You want to meet up to ski? Eat a dick, worthless scum jong.

Who the fuck sends 2500USD western union for anything?
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Has he been found dead in an alley yet?

I just wired money to CA for my car, EEK!

But it's a reputable dealer, and hopefully the truck will be shipped soon.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy