Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tell me what to do: Drifter or Charger (or s3?) for PNW touring?

Me: 5'3'', 125, female, decent skier. I don't charge super hard (yet) but I am athletic and strong and like to push myself.

Skis I LOVE and want to have babies with: 176 S7. I love the pivoty tail, the flex, the smoothness, the pop, everything. Yes, I am one of those people.

Skis I think are okay: 163 Volkl Aura (women's mantra). Like these for ripping groomers and corn, but don't like them for powder or touring because they're too stiff and the tips dive. And since I've been skiing my S7s regularly they've started to feel squirrely and jittery to me.

Skis I didn't really like: K2 Dawn Patrols. Too soft, too short, no life, meh.

These will be used for powder touring days. I will keep the Auras for spring skiing. Goals: a light ski that behaves similarly to my S7's, just not quite as heavy. I realize I might give up some dampness for lighter weight, and that's fine. Drifter and Charger both look good. Also interested in the S3, but I think its too heavy. To be mounted with Dynafits and skied with stiffer boots.

I really, really love the pivoty pintail on my S7s. So getting close to replicating that feeling would be nice.

What would you do?

The GF 5'3" 130lbs and 7/10 skier loves the Drifter's. I went short when buying them for her as we ski a lot of tight trees. I forget which K2's she demoed but she didn't like them at all compared to the Drifter's.

I've been on both S3s and S7s. The feel is very similar, except the S3s lock into a carve a bit more whereas the S7 prefers to wash a bit more. The flex on both is quite similar. I think you'd probably like the S3s for what you're describing. I have no experience with the Voiles.

I have the S7's and the Drifters in 182.
    The tail on the Drifter is much stiffer than the S7. Like you I was seeking a powder touring ski that performed like the S7. The Drifter is not as playful as the S7 IMHO but skis more like a DPS 120 which I also owned . On the Drifter you definatley plane up and it still has a VERY surfy feel but not quite like the S7 ... but close. I love my S7's( even though I'm selling them because I just bought a pair of DPS 112RP's hybrid) and I also love my Drifters. As a powder touring rig for the PNW they( the Drifter) are a very underappreciated ski.
    When I'm not touring I tend to spend a lot of time doing sidecountry hits and like you found the S7 with Dukes was just too heavy for extensive skinning. I bought the DPS 112's hybrid and will mount them with dynafits in an attempt to reduce the weight so I have a ski that I can ski at the hill and also do sidecountry laps without getting too tired from skinning. ANyhoo... thats my probably ,faulty logic.
    The Drifter is a great choice but you may want to look at the DPS 112rp as well.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

thanks scottsman. the hybrid w112rp would definitely be on the list if it wasn't so prohibitively expensive. super helpful info though. i feel the same way about my s7's...they're the perfect resort quiver of one, but i don't want to lug them around on anything more than very short sidecountry escapades. keep the info coming!

Quote Originally Posted by ikkin View Post
    thanks scottsman. the hybrid w112rp would definitely be on the list if it wasn't so prohibitively expensive. super helpful info though. i feel the same way about my s7's...they're the perfect resort quiver of one, but i don't want to lug them around on anything more than very short sidecountry escapades. keep the info coming!
    To be upfront, I do work with DPS Skis as an area rep in NH. Reading your post made me think you might be confusing the Hybrid with the Pure version of DPS Skis with regard to the price.

FYI, the hybrid version of DPS skis retails for $799 - right in line with other major manufacturers. Considering the carbon stringers, custom shaping, bomber construction and austrian race bases it is a sweet deal. Also a sweet ski.

The Pure versions are more of an investment but so is a porsche and these are the porsche of skis. Pure skis - $1299. These skis are sweet. What sold me besides the way they ski and the weight was really the fact that these skis will have an infinite life and will not be skied off in a season or two. For truth. I skied a six year old Wailer 95 at Stowe this Dec. and it was essentially impossible to feel the difference in performance with a brand new ski. Over many seasons this up front investment pays for itself. That is of course you just have to have the newest versions.

I liked the skis so much I became an area rep. Check out the program and talk with DPS about the possibility: http://www.dpsskis.com/blogs/2010/ma...ea-rep-program

This would be a another way to get you better access to the world's sweetest sticks. Yes, I have drank the cool aid!

End of thread hijack. Carry on.
    The Passion is in the Risk

That's great, thanks for the advertisement. I'm fully aware that the hybrids are $800 plus $50 for shipping. Also aware of the area Rep program. Cool program.

The drifters/charges can be had for around $400-$450 these days, and probably even less a bit later in the season. That $400 is a big difference to me. I'm sure DPS skis are worth every penny, I'm just not willing to pay the premium right now. Believe me, I have considered it. Extensively.

Anyway, not really looking to get into a discussion of what skis are worth, so anyone else care to chime in? Also really interested in the Chargers...especially compared to the S7s and Drifters. Not much info about them out there yet.

I just mounted a pair of Chargers and will ski them in the pow we're all expecting/hoping to get this week. They're definitely stiff, with an especially stiff tail. I've mostly been riding an '09? Surface Live Life this season in the same length, and the dimensions are really similar. The Surfaces are also stiff, but have a lot of tail rocker, so I'm expecting the Chargers to be a lot less pivoty and to hold an edge better on harder snow, while still planing up well and allowing some playfulness in powder. Oh, and LIGHT--2271 g (5#) per ski WITH Dynafit Classic bindings.

I'll post a full review in a few days after I've had a chance to tour with them.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

First off, I'm a 30 yr old female, 5'9" and 155lbs. I'm pretty aggressive and have been skiing my whole life, but like you I tend to stay on the ground and I love powder and touring.

I bought a pair of 182 Voile Drifters for this season in hopes of getting BD Megawatt-like performance in a much lighter ski. As reference, I also own a pair of S3's (which are my favorite all-mountain ski ever), and my 178 Megawatts for resort power. I've skied on the S7, and I liked it, but not as much as my Megawatts. I guess I like the stiffer tail.

First off, mounted with Dynafits, the Drifters are so incredibly light! I swear the massive skins weigh as much as the skis and bindings. I have been super impressed with both the skinning efficiency and skiing performance. They are not quite as aggressive-feeling as the Megawatt or S7, but they do an amazing job of busting through weird wind crusts and floating in deep pow. I probably wouldn't like them in-bounds, but they really are the perfect powder touring ski I was looking for. They ski really short for their length - I was worried about the 182 length, but they almost feel shorter than my 178 Megawatts. They are definitely stiffer than the S7's, so you won't get that same "rockery" feeling in pow. However the Drifters still surf powder like a champ, and I think the stiffness actually helps drive through crusts, etc in the backcountry.

I totally agree that the S3 is too heavy. Go with the Drifter if it is going to be a touring-only set-up. You will absolutely thank yourself for going with a lighter ski (but can be super smug that you really didn't give up performance)!
    It's like I died and went to heaven, but then it turned out it wasn't my time, and they sent me to a brewery.

As a PNW skier myself and a ridiculous lotus 120 whore, I have to recommend it in the 178 length for you. It's expensive new, but there's a used pair in gearswap with one previous mount for $500. No one's shown interest, so I bet you could get them for less. Definitely the most fun and most versatile ski I've ever been on, and extremely light for their size. It's also great on hardpack, in case you're using this for some sidecountry.

thanks, tradygirl! really super helpful info, especially since you've skied all those skis. just curious: what boots are you using with the drifters?

Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    As a PNW skier myself and a ridiculous lotus 120 whore, I have to recommend it in the 178 length for you. It's expensive new, but there's a used pair in gearswap with one previous mount for $500. No one's shown interest, so I bet you could get them for less. Definitely the most fun and most versatile ski I've ever been on, and extremely light for their size. It's also great on hardpack, in case you're using this for some sidecountry.
    thanks for this, too. i'll check those out. i'm assuming they ski super short with all that rocker? man, 120. i only weigh about that much. i'll have 1cm per pound of body weight for flotation on those. ha!
    they still weigh nearly 3lbs more than the 172 drifters though...hmmmm...

I'm 6'2", 175 lbs and I ski the 190. Given the opportunity, I would trade for 200's in a heartbeat, because they're just so damn easy to turn. For tight trees or anywhere you need to throw them around they turn on a dime, and when you want to rail 50m radius turns down some untracked, well, they do that perfectly too.

thanks, tradygirl! really super helpful info, especially since you've skied all those skis. just curious: what boots are you using with the drifters?
    I have Dynafit Zzeros (women's version) and Dynafit TLT bindings, and I never feel like I have issues driving this ski.

I agree with the other comments about other awesome skis (the Lotus's etc), but you just can't beat the pricing of the Voile for what you get.
    It's like I died and went to heaven, but then it turned out it wasn't my time, and they sent me to a brewery.

I bought the 181 chargers for my touring rig because of the price. I was also looking at the rp112, lhasa, and fatypus desenders. they do ski really short, so the main concern I'm thinking you'll have with the voiles is which length?? I honestly would save a pound or three and go for the chargers, not the drifters....think of skins too. My setup (181's, dynafit ST) weighs 10lbs. yes, they do have a stiff tail, so my may sacrifice some of that pintail feel you like.
    my $.02

^^^thanks so much for the input. only a 3oz difference between the 171 charger and the 172 drifter. not sure which i'd want, although it might be nice to have a slightly narrower ski in the bc. so many choices! so overwhelming. i wish i could ski these stupid things and decide that way. sheesh.

Ok, 2 days on the Chargers so far. Yesterday was stupid deep pow that basically meant going straight, but they did fine. Skinning was excellent, even breaking trail in 2'+--they plane right up. They felt very light, but part of that is the combination of the slightly lighter bindings and mohair mix skins VS my other skis w/Ascensions.

Today I did a rare lift-served day. The Chargers have a great name--they love to go fast. I didn't find their speed limit, but I came close to mine (and I'm usually one of the faster skiers on a given slope). I love them--for me they're just the right blend of smear and carve style ski. They are not as pivoty as the Surfaces (which have TONS of tail rocker but trad camber underfoot), but still allow that instant dumping of speed that rocker is so good for. I just mached through the cut-up 3 feet of pow at Kirkwood and didn't once get thrown off. I haven't had them on variable conditions or hardpack yet, so who knows? The low swing weight is great, and they deal with air really well. The stiff tail really allows backseat landings in no visibility to be no problem...

I have not skied Drifters, and have no doubt that they'd be great on 18"+ days. They are really, really big skis, though, and not as stiff(?) as the Chargers. I weigh 145lbs, ski a 181 Charger, and definitely don't want more waist, especially for BC only use. If I could have 6 pairs of skis, sure I'd have some huge ones for huge days at resorts, but they would not be versatile. If you weigh 125lbs, 112mm in the waist IS huge--guys who are 200lbs with 130 waist skis actually probably exert more PSI on the bases.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

It's good to hear the Charger reviews. How does the stiffness and skiability compare to other sticks? I chuckle because I weigh 175# and still wonder if the 181 will be a little too stiff... Picking them up in the shop I'm impressed by their low weight, price, size, shape, camber/lack thereof but man they seem kind of stiff for a bc ski.

The drifters/charges can be had for around $400-$450 these days, and probably even less a bit later in the season.
    Actually the going rate for new 2009/2010 Drifters is about $250 without looking too hard (keep an eye on Gearswap here), don't see any reason to pay more just for the 2011 graphic.

bump. i STILL haven't made up my mind on this and I'm wondering if anyone has any more info...looking to pull the trigger for this winter in the next week or so. i've narrowed it to Voile for the weight, price, and made in the USA factor, but can't figure Voile ski I should get!

Here's the dilemma:
    *162 drifters (134-111-123, 6lbs, 6oz)
    *171 Chargers (134-110-123, 7lbs, 3oz) <--dims are so similar!
    *172 drifters (145-121-133, 7lbs, 6oz)

Again, this will be my powder touring ski in the PNW. I'm having analysis paralysis! ADVISE! PLEASE!

MY quiver
    Volant Spatulas.
    DPS Wailer 105's pure w/dynafits 190cm
    DPS 112RP pure w/dynafits- 184 cm
    Voile Drifter w/dynafits- 182 cm

The ski I like the best for PNW powder touring and isothemal slush in the Mush season( people always forget we get a mush season)= THE DRIFTER.
    Go get'em. 172 cm
    .02 C
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

I'd go with the 172 Drifters, since you already have a non-powder touring ski. Too bad you missed the STP sale - bought the Drifters (161) for my mom at $245 shipped to my door. (Sorry to rub it in.)

Btw, my mom is your height, but a few pounds heavier (I think). I bought the shorter length for her because, even though she's a decent skier, she's getting older and isn't working out as much. I figured she should have something that she doesn't have to work to turn. Particularly cuz the last time I took her into the backcountry, she broke two ribs (!). She still finished the tour though, cuz she's awesome.

Not terribly helpful, but good luck making your decision.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Scotsman, interesting that you like the Drifters more than the Wailer 112s for PNW pow touring! Would you care to elaborate? Just curious.

Drifter in 172. Purchase, ski more, contemplate ski options less.

Quote Originally Posted by DAFTC View Post
    Drifter in 172. Purchase, ski more, contemplate ski options less.
    you sound like my dear husband. but then what would i do at work?