Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Head Monster 103 ... outdated technology ?

There are a heap of skis available online, real cheap.

For instance $250 Head Monster 103 teams.

5 years ago they had a fearsome reputation. I'm a bit behind the times though.

Does such a ski still have a niche or are there far better newer skis about ?

What would you guys suggest ?

I've skiied the Monster 102 in the 183 cm and liked it ... but is something a bit softer and with newer shape and rocker a better idea ?

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by tjb View Post
    There are a heap of skis available online, real cheap.

Does such a ski still have a niche or are there far better newer skis about ?
    Yes, and yes.

They still are really good at what they are good at. I just picked up a pair of the 183s to replace a delamming pair of 193s.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    They still are really good at what they are good at. I just picked up a pair of the 183s to replace a delamming pair of 193s.
    What do you find them best at ? Crud busting ?

How is the pow performance ?

And if you're on a set of 183s now, what size are you ? Did you find the 193s just a little too big ?

Supermojos

I skied the 183 Supermojos (same ski as the 103s) up until I bought Dynastar Huge troubles (which can also be found cheap)about 3 years ago. The 103s are a great charging ski, damp and powerful, with great edge hold. They require good traditional technique, and strong legs, but rip in all conditions, with no speed limit. They're at their best in variable conditions, because they just dominate whatever you come across. They've got a large turn radius (40m?) but I skied tight trees on them with no issues, you just have to be on to it. I enjoy my Huge Troubles more, because they retain most of the rail-through-anything capabilities of the 103s, but I can also slarve in the powder, and they're so much more relaxing at slower speeds and when I'm not feeling like a superhero. I know Head added some tip rocker to one of the later model 103s, but I haven't tried those.

Has anybody rockered the tips on 102's or 103's, like many have done on the Atomic Pow +'s?

If so how do they ski now?
    Last edited by wildskizer; 01-29-2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: correction
    "People ask us to take them skiing, and I'm like, 'REALLY'? I mean if you want to get in an avalanche or just die somehow, then, YEAH, come with US!" - Nathan Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by wildskizer View Post
    Has anybody rockered the tips on 102's or 103's,
    not on purpose.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

I tried to get a.mini rocker but it didnt hold cause i made it too slight. I think rocker would help but now Im on rockered 192 bros. I like the 83s for pnw treesand the 93 for here at snowbird. Great for crud but I liked having a powder ski as well.

i still use mine occasionally, although less since i got 197 katanas a while back.

the m103 just motors thru variable snow at any speed, like others have posted.

i have an extra pair, 183s, brand new & wrapped in plastic, that i'm happy to sell cheap if someone wants to try these boards.

Quote Originally Posted by wildskizer View Post
    Has anybody rockered the tips on 102's or 103's, like many have done on the Atomic Pow +'s?

If so how do they ski now?
    I have a 183.

I'd love a 193 with 10cm of rocker.

Rocker smooths a lot of things out in addition to adding float.

In that nature, they are somewhat outdated in that super stiff underfoot but softer tipped rocker ski can bust crud better than a super stiff throughout traditional ski like the 103.

I like riding the 103s... unstobbable but hard on the rider if you ever let go of the controls.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Frorider, I might be your man. PM sent.

Are the 103s in a 183 significantly harder to ski than 187 XXLs. I think the running length is about the same. Interested in picking up some Monster for harder groomer/cruising days on the EC.

Had the im 103 in a 183 last year as a daily driver, they RIP, but delamed so go the 103 supermojo, they also rip. great edge hold, no speed limit, very consistent but throw me down if I get in the back seat. i would give up my powder skis and light backcountry set up long before the head 103.

Harder groomer days on EC? I would really have to work that ski to carve a quick turn, IMHO that would get real old real fast, that said if you are doing GS turns in the morning with nobody around the 103 would be a good choice..
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Yeah I'm fine with the XXL radius which is similar to the 103 (~37) but want something a little skinnier so there's a little less torque on my ankles. I usually make big turns anyways so not too worried about swinging slalom-like turns. If you were skiing mostly firm, which would you rather have?

having never skied the XXL (I do want to though) I would bet that the 103 in a 183 is less work than the xxl in a 187 and on groomers, you are not benefiting from the extra girth.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

The 103 is less forgiving than the xxl- even on groomers.

The XXL is definitely more forgiving than the im103.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHFF9BeZNPs
    here is chuck putting them to use at the bird he and Lars both swear by this ski.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

If you want to kill everything in your path, there will never be a better ski than the Screamin' Eagle m103's.

Mass obliteration aside tho, there are far better (and more versatile) skis for pretty much everything else.

one of the best nearly packed but variable skis out there. Crush it at speed. Even the 183cm can straightline the cirque at the bird with no issues, but huge turns on them are more fun.

the 187XXl is alot easier to ski on than the 183cm Head.

Quote Originally Posted by bennettc14 View Post
    Interested in picking up some Monster for harder groomer/cruising days on the EC.
    I got a pair, awesome in crud, but I can't imagine a worse ski for groomer and cruising days on hard snow. Sure they can edge but the turn radius is huge and they need a lot of speed to come alive.

They're great on groomers, but I'd only associate the word cruiser to them in this sense:

Quote Originally Posted by fat yeti View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHFF9BeZNPs
    here is chuck putting them to use at the bird he and Lars both swear by this ski.
    Awesome video! Sickest jump turns I've ever seen.

Seriously though, nice mogul field straightline at the end... impressive.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I have some 193s with tip rocker. I'll try to remember to snap some pics tomorrow. Put bluntly, they killed it...rocker made an already awesome ski better.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

if you like the monsters, you might like these guys too...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...es-250-shipped
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin