Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    gunit130 Guest

Question When's the "Social Web" bubble going to burst?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Whens the Social web bubble going to burst? $900 million round for Groupon? Groupon!
    This deserves its own thread.

When Facebook IPO's

gunit130 Guest
    Ask anyone who has ever advertised on facebook.com if they got good results. I bet 95% of people will say it was unsuccessful.

Sooner or later everyone will have tried it, and realized it's not worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by gunit130 View Post
    Ask anyone who has ever advertised on facebook.com if they got good results. I bet 95% of people will say it was unsuccessful.

Sooner or later everyone will have tried it, and realized it's not worth the money.
    I bet most people weren't doing it properly. You can directly advertise to your demo for no money.

And way to go Groupon. Tell Google to fuck themselves, then watch them do it better than you.

gunit130 Guest
    Yeah you can get impressions, but it's hard to convert that to a CTR and more so, to sales. It all depends on what your product/service is too.

There are ads on FB? Never noticed before, and I can't be the only one that zones out shit like that.

I've been wondering the same thing. I don't like how I've started getting targeted ads from Mormon websites since moving to Utah. Perhaps I need to add hookers and blow to my interests and they will stop.

There's a bubble? Holy shit, I need to get in while it's expanding. Time to invest the old nest egg in myspace.
    Anyone want to go to Vegas, on me. I'm going to be rich, motherfuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by skiski View Post
    There's a bubble? Holy shit, I need to get in while it's expanding. Time to invest the old nest egg in myspace.
    Anyone want to go to Vegas, on me. I'm going to be rich, motherfuckers.
    I'm torn between dumping my savings into compuserve or prodigy....

gunit130 Guest
    http://econsultancy.com/us/blog/6980-the-new-web-bubble

It's obviously not the same type of .com bubble as the 1999 days, but you could make a case that this has the makings of a new bubble, especially when some of these companies go public.

I believe many of the companies in the article are spending far more than they could ever get in return using their current business models.

Eventually, facebook is going to have to offer pay-for-use services on something.

There are so many web-based companies out there that don't even have a business model, but people keep pumping money into them anyways. I've always wondered about that.

Not soon enough...

Dotcom 2.0 is definitely on. SOMA is going off, and ppsf there is greater than downtown SF for the first time (ever?).

LinkedIn filed for IPO today. Seems like they could have legitimate revenue streams beyond advertising if employers pay for job searches the way Monster (I think) does.

I could see Facebook being abandoned as quickly as myspace and aol instant messenger, but we'll see. I really don't like how creepy and intrusive it has gotten and I think that's going to backfire on them eventually, whether it's a lawsuit, FCC crackdown, or just a large customer migration somewhere else.

"There is absolutely NO bubble in technology!" - Peter Thiel

groupon did well to say no to google, they will probably ipo for double or triple. these guys built a 6 billion dollar company with real revenue, what the fuck does any of us know. not everything google touches is gold, they have failed at many things. other than android they haven't done much lately.. android is genius though because it lets google know where we all are at all times, they can do a lot with that.

facebook isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and i say that merely because everyone expects it to fail. at its peak no one expected myspace to be crushed by a newcomer, same with yahoo.. but everyone thinks facebook will fail. the masses tend to be wrong about most things. you can't even compare facebook to myspace, my freakin' grandmother is on facebook. i don't personally know a single person that was on myspace. facebook connect is making its way into every corner of the web. they're building a platform that thousands of sites and apps will be built on, will rely on.. they're becoming the social backbone of the internet. you can't undo that easily, and it's pretty difficult for someone to migrate to a different social network when it's so deeply imbedded in every facet of their online world. google is so much more vulnerable, someone builds a better search engine there's absolutely nothing preventing people from switching.

gunit130 Guest
    I don't think facebook is going to fail, but they're gonna have to make some changes in order to acutally MAKE money!

And these companies will move more towards mobile... which is the new social and has yet to be even close to fully tapped.

Social Networking and Mobile Devices = The Future

I think the providers will always be king.

You know it's getting bad when Google fired the adult and let the anti CEO nerd have his job. It's like every one of these geeks saw that movie and think they can be some sort of capitalistic Superman walking around in a t shirt and hoodie staring at their phones and laptops and not talking to other normal humans. Maybe they're all doing too much cocaine. They certainly have more money than God.

I was on Facebook for like a week, and it fucked up my life bigtime. These kids have no respect for privacy, so, fuck them. Who really needs it anyway. It's all so much noise. People will burn out on it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    google is so much more vulnerable, someone builds a better search engine there's absolutely nothing preventing people from switching.
    You should go out and buy an Android phone. I am no longer that excited about Apple after getting one. Facebook has a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by gunit130 View Post
    I don't think facebook is going to fail, but they're gonna have to make some changes in order to acutally MAKE money!
    Facebook had $1.6 billion in revenues in 2010. What do you consider making money?

gunit130 Guest
    I don't know. I don't believe that figure is net income, but rather advertisement and fb credit revenue.

I'm sure fb has positive net income, but I'm just saying that they're gonna need to keep continuing to modify their game plan-- and at a faster pace.

Let's face it, we know for a fact that users of these types of sites get bored quickly and are always ready and willing to try something new & different.

Also, I don't think that facebook has done anything extraordinary beyond the obvious. A lot of their prolonged success can be attributed to the mere growth in internet usage demographically/globally.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You know it's getting bad when Google fired the adult and let the anti CEO nerd have his job. It's like every one of these geeks saw that movie and think they can be some sort of capitalistic Superman walking around in a t shirt and hoodie staring at their phones and laptops and not talking to other normal humans. Maybe they're all doing too much cocaine. They certainly have more money than God.

I was on Facebook for like a week, and it fucked up my life bigtime. These kids have no respect for privacy, so, fuck them. Who really needs it anyway. It's all so much noise. People will burn out on it soon.
    yeah larry page is a real idiot, whats he done? oh yeah thats right he created google. if facebook fucked up your life, your life was probably fucked up to begin with.

yeah larry page is a real idiot, whats he done? oh yeah thats right he created google.
    Writing code and running a multi billion dollar international business are two entirely different activities, wouldn't you think? We'll see if life gives him one big wedgie before he grows up and hands it off to the adults again.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Writing code and running a multi billion dollar international business are two entirely different activities, wouldn't you think? We'll see if life gives him one big wedgie before he grows up and hands it off to the adults again.
    i think it's funny that you feel you're in any position to criticize the capabilities of one of the most successful entrepreneurs in human history. should zuckerberg step down too? he's obviously running that company into the ground. stupid multi billionaire code monkeys

i think it's funny that you feel you're in any position to criticize the capabilities of one of the most successful entrepreneurs in human history. should zuckerberg step down too? he's obviously running that company into the ground. stupid multi billionaire code monkeys
    Dude, this is Benny. You've been around long enough that you should have expected a pessimistic slam on the entrepreneurship of one of the most successful entrepreneurs ever.

Facebook pulled in $2 billion in revenue in 2010 and made $400 million in net income. Does that count as making money?

If I were Zuckerburg, I'd get out now while FB is at its peak... but he doesn't strike me as the type that will.