Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    checking in here. the new 'diet' is going pretty well, though i certainly haven't been 100% faithful. I haven't had pasta in weeks, but do have an occassional slice of bread or tortilla. My big cheat though, continues to be ice cream. I haven't even tried to moderate it. In fact, I have cravings and I just can't seem to hold off, or keep a tub of it around for more than 2 days. I have waaayy more energy throughout the day though. Feeling great and balanced, and haven't really had to think much about what I can/can't eat. It's a very natural adjustment (except the ice cream).

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post
    The placebo effect post wasn't directed at anyone directly. More of a cautionary note about expecting changes due to diet and placeboing them to happen. It's difficult to self diagnose these things without independent concrete evidence.

If you have real health issues then see a doctor. There are tests for Celiac disease. I would want to know for sure.
    Simple answer:Food allergies

I work in an ER, and give epi-solumedrol-benadryl-albuterol all the time to people with food allergies. My wife was an ER patient with heinous angioedema and broncho-constriction from an unknown food allergy. It's not some big stretch of the imagination to think that wheat/gluten/gliadin could cause the same in many individuals.

Anti-gliadin antibody:A direct immune response to gliadin found in wheat. So you have a protein found in a staple food of Americans that is causing an antibody response in many humans.............

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    I binged on pizza today.
    Pizza is the one thing that my wife will never give up, so she found a recipe for dough made with coconut flour, and I have to say I was impressed. Loaded it up with sausage and pepperoni, and it was almost as good as Papa Johns(joke).
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Weekly weigh in. Down 8lbs total, no longer shaky at the end of my morning workouts.

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    My big cheat though, continues to be ice cream. I haven't even tried to moderate it. In fact, I have cravings and I just can't seem to hold off, or keep a tub of it around for more than 2 days. I have waaayy more energy throughout the day though. Feeling great and balanced, and haven't really had to think much about what I can/can't eat. It's a very natural adjustment (except the ice cream).
    You probably have a saturated fat deficiency

I've been chomping on "3 Greek Gods" yogurt, which is about 80% fat (!!!), and adding either fresh fruit or a tiny bit of blueberry syrup to it. Yes, it's a cheat, but it's a lot less sugar than even the full-fat ice cream like Ben & Jerry's which I used to eat. And fuck if it isn't absolutely delicious.

Glad the plan is working for you! If 70% or 80% gets you where you want to be, don't stress about not being a purist. This needs to be something you can maintain for the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    Weekly weigh in. Down 8lbs total, no longer shaky at the end of my morning workout
    Congratulations! Sounds like you've turned the corner as far as getting your body to run on fat vs. sugar. You'll know it's really working when you start skipping meals because you're too busy, or just don't want to bother cooking, and it doesn't bother you.

Ok somebody learn me on Intermittent fasting. How long do you fast? How often?

I'd like to give it a try.
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

I've been playing with IF for over a month now. It took two or three days of it to get over that "i'm so hungry" phase, but now I can do it and not think twice. I normally eat dinner the night before between 6&7pm and then don't eat again until lunch time the next day.
    This chunk of time seems to work the best for me since I'm new to it. 16-17 hrs is the norm for me and I'll do it two days in a row, then off, then another two in a row.
    Before I broke my collar bone and had surgery (that has thrown stuff off for the past two weeks) I couldn't believe how much energy and how awesome I felt while doing my workouts in the morning.
    I normally workout around 10am, doing heavy lifting or some sort of interval work and I don't even feel like I need anything to eat before and honestly, not after for at least an hour or two for sure.

I HIGHLY recommend it!
    you sketchy character, you

I eat dinner between 6-8 and then go until at least noon the following day unless I work out, in which case, I'll eat right after my work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Sometimes I can go 16 hours without food and not think about it and sometimes I have to wake up and eat. I call it EWH (eating when hungry). I also do EWB (eating when bored).

Enjoying the benefits so far, energy has increase substantially and hunger has fallen off to the point that I feel like only having one big meal a day.
    I've only been cheating with beer on weekends and noshing on lightly salted edamame instead of popcorn.

Is eating edamame cheating?

Cool. Just got done eating, I'll skip breakfast tomorrow and eat after my lunchtime ride
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Enjoying the benefits so far, energy has increase substantially and hunger has fallen off to the point that I feel like only having one big meal a day.
    I've only been cheating with beer on weekends and noshing on lightly salted edamame instead of popcorn.

Is eating edamame cheating?
    Yes: soy is a seed, and like all seeds, contains anti-nutrients you don't want to be eating too much of. Though occasional small quantities won't kill you: I still have a small bowl of miso soup when I cheat by going out for sushi. It's better to be 80-90% and consistent than 100% and unable to stay on the wagon.

That being said, as far as cheats go, I'd just pop your popcorn in coconut oil (or beef tallow) and eat that instead, with plenty of butter. Creole spicy salt, like Tony Chachere's or Zatarain's, is even better than regular salt on popcorn. If you're really hardcore you can pop some lysine with it to balance out the incomplete protein.

Picking up a few gallons of local, raw milk to make my own butter next week, and perhaps some feta cheese. Vitamin K2 butter from grass fed cows, bitches!

This whole food thing for me has evolved from trying to get leaner, and now that that's become boring and easy, it's about making real, good food at home.

Betty Fucking Crocker!

Spats, I'd be curious to know what your cholesterol numbers look like. I realize that it is a personal question so I understand if you don't want to supply that info. I have to admit that I'm a little cautious about eating a lot of saturated fat because there is a history of cholesterol problems in my family. I'm planning on having my blood work done soon.

Spats, I'd be curious to know what your cholesterol numbers look like. I realize that it is a personal question so I understand if you don't want to supply that info. I have to admit that I'm a little cautious about eating a lot of saturated fat because there is a history of cholesterol problems in my family. I'm planning on having my blood work done soon.
    Cholesterol and saturated fat are two different entities. Read this, from a practicing cardiologist, then spend 6 months reviewing every study you can find on PubMed. After that, you will have some information to work with to formulate your own hypothesis, and not one formulated for you by drug companies.

Here's a nice graph on ALL CAUSE mortality and cholesterol.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Cholesterol and saturated fat are two different entities. Read this, from a practicing cardiologist, then spend 6 months reviewing every study you can find on PubMed. After that, you will have some information to work with to formulate your own hypothesis, and not one formulated for you by drug companies.

Here's a nice graph on ALL CAUSE mortality and cholesterol.
    Cholesterol and saturated fat are separate but the HDL:LDL ratio is affected by saturated fat intake. Some SFAs reduce the ratio, some raise it and some have little effect. Palmitate seems to be the biggest culprit but even it's action is confounded by the interaction with lineolic acid. The palmitate in grain fed beef seems to be especially bad. Just trying to eat intelligently and not dogmatically.

I haven't been tested lately because the numbers are mostly trash anyway: "LDL" is an imputed number, which is to say it's completely made up based on your TG and TC and has nothing to do with anything. Add to that the fact that some types of LDL are associated with CVD and some are inversely associated, and I don't really care what my numbers are.
    http://www.jpands.org/vol10no3/colpo.pdf

My attitude is "Are your numbers bad? Eat healthy. Are your numbers good? Eat healthy."

My mother, however, did just get tested. She's not pure paleo by any measure, but she is gluten-free and has been eating a diet very high in saturated fat and low in carbs, with lots of eggs, red meat, butter, etc. I don't remember the exact numbers, but they're something like:
    TG: 51
    HDL: 115
    "LDL": 90?

In other words, she's off the bottom of every chart as far as associations with heart disease are concerned. And these numbers are an improvement over her numbers previous to changing her diet.

She and my father are also building rock walls in their yard at an age most people are driving mobility scooters.

Re: Trackhead's chart, also recall that once you reach appx. age 65, greater total cholesterol is associated with longer life... something few doctors will tell you.

Cholesterol and saturated fat are separate but the HDL:LDL ratio is affected by saturated fat intake. Some SFAs reduce the ratio, some raise it and some have little effect. Palmitate seems to be the biggest culprit but even it's action is confounded by the interaction with lineolic acid. The palmitate in grain fed beef seems to be especially bad. Just trying to eat intelligently and not dogmatically.
    Sorry, your question to Spats was "cholesterol numbers", not specifically cholesterol. I guess what you meant was, "how does your lipid panel/profile look". Unfortunately, the common family practice doc ordered lipid profile is now thought to be insufficient information. The test you want, or should talk to your doc about is the NMR assay or the VAP assay to assess ApoB particles.

Re: Trackhead's chart, also recall that once you reach appx. age 65, greater total cholesterol is associated with longer life... something few doctors will tell you.
    And apparently "high cholesterol" with advanced age is a poor predictor of heart disease, but some studies have show "high cholesterol" at earlier ages does correlate with and increase in heart disease.

Anyway, there's a million studies supporting anything you want to believe. Search PubMed long enough and you can probably find a study supporting your girlfriend taking it in the ass providing lower incidence of osteoporosis and breast cancer.

I haven't been tested lately because the numbers are mostly trash anyway: "LDL" is an imputed number, which is to say it's completely made up based on your TG and TC and has nothing to do with anything. Add to that the fact that some types of LDL are associated with CVD and some are inversely associated, and I don't really care what my numbers are.
    http://www.jpands.org/vol10no3/colpo.pdf

My attitude is "Are your numbers bad? Eat healthy. Are your numbers good? Eat healthy."

My mother, however, did just get tested. She's not pure paleo by any measure, but she is gluten-free and has been eating a diet very high in saturated fat and low in carbs, with lots of eggs, red meat, butter, etc. I don't remember the exact numbers, but they're something like:
    TG: 51
    HDL: 115
    "LDL": 90?

In other words, she's off the bottom of every chart as far as associations with heart disease are concerned. And these numbers are an improvement over her numbers previous to changing her diet.

She and my father are also building rock walls in their yard at an age most people are driving mobility scooters.

Your numbers are getting worse? You're not eating healthy.

Just looking for concrete methods of evaluating my diet and my health.

The placebo effect post wasn't directed at anyone directly. More of a cautionary note about expecting changes due to diet and placeboing them to happen. It's difficult to self diagnose these things without independent concrete evidence.

If you have real health issues then see a doctor. There are tests for Celiac disease. I would want to know for sure.
    my bud the doc attended a seminar on the effects of placebo and he told me that a study was done where they gave people a placebo and they got better ... even tho they were told it was a placebo

Your numbers are getting worse? You're not eating healthy.

Just looking for concrete methods of evaluating my diet and my health.
    Before you find "concrete numbers", you must first define for yourself what numbers you define healthy. If you believe Ancel Key's theories, then you should be eating low fat, low saturated fat, low cholesterol foods. If you lean more towards evolutionary medicine, then you might find the opposite to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Before you find "concrete numbers", you must first define for yourself what numbers you define healthy. If you believe Ancel Key's theories, then you should be eating low fat, low saturated fat, low cholesterol foods. If you lean more towards evolutionary medicine, then you might find the opposite to be true.
    I plan on eating whatever I want and then leaning toward whichever metric supports a conclusion of health.

I had this same thought since I've started this deal. I just updated my life insurance back in December, so I know exactly what all my levels are, and I plan on getting tested in 5 months and seeing what, if anything, has changed. My Cholesterol and BP were both right at the high end of normal, so it should be pretty easy to gauge. I'm 31 living a pretty active lifestyle.

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    I plan on eating whatever I want and then leaning toward whichever metric supports a conclusion of health.
    That sums this thread up entirely.