Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which Hard-Shell, Tough, Insulated Jacket?

I am looking for a tough, insulated jacket. I ski in PNW, so it needs to be good for rain as well. I like skiing in a puffy on dry days. Synthetic insulation sounds good. Reasonable pockets, pit zips, helmet compatible.

Does Patagonia's Nano Storm fit the bill? Or is the shell thin, more like a light shell or heavy down jacket?
    http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...1-085&pcc=1128

Perhaps a Spyder Racer-type jacket? At least these seem to have a heavy nylon outershell, something close to cordura. 600-clams is crazy money.
    http://www.skipro.com/Detail.aspx?ID=8248

Perhaps the FlyLow BA Puffy is tough enough for my purposes. I like their ski pants, but the jacket shell looks like it might be ripstop nylon and seems similar to Patagucci.
    http://www.flylowgear.com/men-s/ba-puffy.html

Or maybe a snowboard-type coat would be tough, for example, Analog
    http://www.dogfunk.com/analog-greed-jacket-mens

Thoughts appreciated.

I really love my burton ak lz down. Gore Tex with laminated 650 down. Synthetic does not have the broad temp range of down. Best jacket for deep blower days from below zero to 25 or so. I've skiied it in warmer temps after sun comes out and venting/breathing is good. Also great features and really light. On sale soon or snag last years. Same jacket. Worth every penny. Feels like I am in my living room in low temps. Others head for cocoa and I keep skiing toasty and dry
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

In PNW avoid anything that is not goretex or event. Off brands can't keep you dry. I tried most all of them and always go back to the originals. Once your wet your done. Don't skimp,$100 more to be dry. It's priceless.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

For PNW and insulated, I'd suggest two Westcomb products: the Chimera if you want a more traditional, fitted insulated jacket or their Flow FX for something a bit looser/freeride cut. Both have Event shells and both made in Canada. They're not cheap, but if you look real hard they can be found for much less.

The patagonia insulated powderbowl does it for me when its soggy in tahoe. You asked for bomber, and this is it. I think the insulated outskirts is the next generation and patagicci is havin an online sale.

Burton Turbine.

Fuck patagonia's welded seams.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Burton AK looks good. Is the outer shell heavy weight? Tear resistant?

two of my friends have 'teryx fissions and love them...obvi they did not pay the retarded retail price, though. id say if you can find one of those cheap (specifically the one w/ pit zips) grab it.

Parka

burton ak 2l insulated if tough and will keep you dry ,wont be without mine pnw wet snow stay dry allday-arcteryx sv hardshell and sv sofshell under also bulletproof

I am hitting branches all the time with my ak and is tough
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

How about the Arc'teryx Fission?

Gore-Tex Pro Shell with Primaloft insulation so you're definitely going to be dry and if you get you'll have a hard time ripping it. If you're really worried about ripping it on a tree go with the SV over the AR.
    http://www.backcountry.com/arcteryx-...ar-jacket-mens

Edit: I see wrtickle beat me to the punch.

Thanks for the suggestions. To summarize, mags suggest:

Arc'teryx Fission
    Burton AK

No love yet for Patagonia (Powderbowl is a shell, not insulated) or FlyLow?

I've had good luck with both Arcteryx and Cloudveil for Primaloft GoreTex that wears well. Spyder, so-so; fabric is tough, warm, but workmanship issues with zippers, and waterproofing is not as solid.

Just for some variety- I have a buddy who seems to love this Mammut number. I watched him doing laps through the Alpental backcountry on a probably mid-twenties day, he says it ventilates very well.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Or something else

Quote Originally Posted by whacked View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. To summarize, mags suggest:

Arc'teryx Fission
    Burton AK

No love yet for Patagonia (Powderbowl is a shell, not insulated) or FlyLow?

http://www.backcountry.com/norrna-lo...t-mens#reviews

I am not seeing why you want insulated. Go with a non insulated and layer up, much more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    I've had good luck with both Arcteryx and Cloudveil for Primaloft GoreTex that wears well. Spyder, so-so; fabric is tough, warm, but workmanship issues with zippers, and waterproofing is not as solid.
    I use a Cloudveil 4 Pines as my principal jacket when it's cold out. it's this tweed like material that seems pretty indestructible and has enough Primaloft insulation that I rarely wear more than a baselayer and light merino sweater under it even on the coldest days. It's not Gore-Tex though. I've never had problems with it, but I'm in a dryer place than you. If they have something similar with improved waterproofing, it would be the ticket as it's bomber.

A second vote for Cloudveil - I've got a Zero-G from a few years back and sold my Arc Fission AR because I preferred the Zero-G and the Arc felt way more fragile. I don't know if they still make a Schoeller-skinned insulated jacket, though. With the closeouts of pre-buyout Cloudveil stuff there are some deals to be had. I'd also put in another vote for Westcomb (love the eVent), but their sizing has been a little more unpredictable for me from model to model. Flylow Puff had a giant, boxy cut that felt more snowboard than ski, but maybe that's changed since last year.

Check out the sales on the Patagonia website right now. The insulated snowhot or the outskirts would both do the trick pretty well. The nano storm would be too fragile for skiing trees I think.

The other one that I've seen which looks super solid is the Marmot Fulcrum.
    Last edited by ulty_guy; 01-26-2011 at 10:03 AM.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

The Marmot Fulcrum just came up on SAC for dirt cheap and I couldn't resist, be on the lookout!
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

I have the BA puffy and it is a great jacket. Just as warm as a normal puffy without the bulk. Vents really well to control temp. I have about 10 days in mine so far. Jacket is to warm if it is over 35 deg. or so. Hood covers a helmet well and lots of pockets.

I LUV my Norrona Lofoten.

Question - why not get an uninsulated shell and then buy a synthetic puffy and / or down puffy to go under it? I have never understood the desire to have an insulated shell. Is it just convenience?

Just picked up an Outdoor Research Axcess jacket ($365 plus tax) and love it - quality construction, good venting and sensible features.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Question - why not get an uninsulated shell and then buy a synthetic puffy and / or down puffy to go under it? I have never understood the desire to have an insulated shell. Is it just convenience?
    Lift-served skiing is anaerobic. Insulated jackets vent better and are more convenient. Yes, layering works fine, but you need to remove layers and carry them around in your back. See Mitch Weber's article on why layering sucks for in-bounds, Puffy Love.