Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    The only other boot I have not tried on yet is the Tecnica Ten.2 120 HVL. I can't find a pair local to me. I have called around.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post

The Live fit has actually led me to explore other boots. I have a pair of Salomon X Pro 120's that I am considering trying to make work. After the shell mold they are still tight on my instep and would cause me issues, the liner is pretty meh IMO and has a lot of extra crap on the tongue and surrounding areas. I will remold my intuitions and try them in there next, I think this boot may work.

Early in this thread I spoke of my Tecnica Dragons, before getting the X pros to experiment with I put this boot on and took some laps when my 6th toe was at its worse. My conclusion was that I could not believe I ever use to ski in them. It was wide enough because of a punch but not enough room over the instep, It was just the best I found at the time. The overall performance blew in comparison the Waymaker.

Is the boot board on the Salomon X Pro easy to work with and is the flex a legit 120? I have a pair of the X Pro 130s on the way and also have tough time with not enough instep room in boots as well. I ask because I also have some BD quadrants for touring and the boot board is a SOB.

For me for ski area & ski touring it's the Scott Cosmos. High volume, it fits my E width & high arch. 4 buckle 6.5lb 120 flex & a good walk mode. Skis & tours great. Used to ski the old Scarpa T2 & Matrix, but their newer Maestrale is way too narrow.

I have high arch/instep, wiiiide forefoot (110 mm) & quite wide heels, also my small toes splay out forward more than the average foot. I went with Tecnica Cochise 120. Instep is great, i'm on the first buckle notch. Had to get quite a bit of stretching/punching in the outer forefoot which is ongoing but nearly there. Switched the hokey stock beds for Superfeet Blue's today. Been experimenting with my Intuition liners from my Scarpa T1's, not as much tongue support as the stock Palau liners but lighter & way more comfortable.
    "It's like we're watching a movie... and then suddenly we're acting in it."

Wide Feet, High Arch/Instep: What boots are you in?

^ had the 1st gen Cochise 120 pro lights with palau liners. Had punches done for width but the instep although generous was just too tight for me, however never did work on boot board before I sold.

Edit: I think my problem with the Cochise is that some of the reviews and a boot fitter convinced me to size down.

My main boot fitting frustration is that there are so many stiff flexing boots with low volume lasts but hardly any real stiff flexing boots with large volume. My Lange RS 130 wides aren't that high volume and are easily over powered.

I am yet to find a boot where I actually need to buckle the lower two buckles.
    Last edited by klauss; 03-05-2015 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Is the boot board on the Salomon X Pro easy to work with and is the flex a legit 120? I have a pair of the X Pro 130s on the way and also have tough time with not enough instep room in boots as well. I ask because I also have some BD quadrants for touring and the boot board is a SOB.
    Boot Flex is weird, I think the x pro is in line with most new boots being made. It was stiffer than the X max 120 but Its not plug race boot 120 flex though. I hope that make sense. The boot board is easy to take out and thin down.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

My X Pro 120s were a real world 100 at best, I blew the volume in the bottom with the pressure I put on skiing them alone. Solly warrantied then as they said the volume was way outside spec. That was after 10 days on them. Did the same thing to the X Max 120 (also more a 100). They both suit a very up right stance. They are both very soft boots. My impact 100s were far stiffer even after 60 days.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

received the salomon x pro 130. Have some nice features and I will be able to get these to work. Hope I don't have the same issues as you lord. Yeah not a real stout flex in 50 degree weather, but maybe a bit stiffer than my lange rs 130 in comparison, but not as stiff as some earlier race 130 flex boots. I wouldn't call it very soft as I think it is a decent flex, but I would prefer more stoutness for a 130 rating. The lower shell seams to provide the flex, but again this is at room temp. The boost flex (sport and performance) settings on the back is kind of perplexing on how that will really change things up. Liner looks like it is nice too, but will obviously have to ski it for a week first confirm initial thoughts.

Lots of toe room, I think just enough instep room for me eventually as it's a bit tight without a break in period but should be manageable with some tweaks and break in. Will have to heat mold shells for 6th toe and a bit more heel room although these are pretty high volume from what I have tried. Don't mind the upright stance. Fairly light boot too.

My main boot fitting frustration is that there are so many stiff flexing boots with low volume lasts but hardly any real stiff flexing boots with large volume.
    Exactly. It. Is. Teh. Suck.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

The guys at inkline in SLC recommended the Fischer vacuum boot. I got the ranger 12. First time in 12 years I've skied pain free. Not cheap, but a true game changer. Their advice, get the Fischer because anything else you will be back in here 15 times having us work on the for you.

Wide Feet, High Arch/Instep: What boots are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    The guys at inkline in SLC recommended the Fischer vacuum boot. I got the ranger 12. First time in 12 years I've skied pain free. Not cheap, but a true game changer. Their advice, get the Fischer because anything else you will be back in here 15 times having us work on the for you.
    I don't see inkline pushing the vacuums on everyone. Maybe it was the boot they thought was best for you. Why would they sell Several brands and also be on other boots themselves... Do you work for Fischer?

Tecnica Mach1 MV w/ drive plate and PW's.

I wish I worked for fischer, then wouldn't have had to drop a grr on em. When my foot got measured I think Corey's exact words were, "you got some fucked up feet."

Wide forefoot, high arch, high instep, narrow ass heal and no collapsing when I stand.

I am pleased. Next time I'll get insoles and new touring boots.

Corey acknowledged the boots are for everyone but he was Adamat about the uniqueness of my feet.

Me

You all know you can 'vacuum fit..' 'Memory fit,' and 'custom shell' most mid-high end boots right? Any time I get a new boot the first thing I do is toss the shell in the oven, liners on the stacks, pad my instep and right little toe and stand in em for 10 minutes or so.

Than I start punching and grinding.

Merry Christmas to all in the mid/northern Sierra 'cause it be dumping as I look out the window,
    here's hoping everybody gets some (so to speak). Time to restart after a 9 month lag in this thread.
    Might be something new from you boot guys? Need advice on usual flintstone issues- wide forefoot (106)
    narrow heel, high arch and instep (really high). Feet pretty damaged after 8 seasons patrolling in Langes, and 35 summers in Whites. Have been in Protons, Blaster Pros, Solly X-max 120- all with a heck of a lot of work, footbeds and power-wraps. Looking for relief yet again and 3 well respected local boots guys looked at my feet and said I need to be looking at Tecnica Ten2 HVL's or the Atomic Waymaker 130. But nobody has them to even touch. I could order both online and try at home, then get work done locally, but trying to shorten the loop. I'd like to keep it all local if possible. Any thoughts appreciated in advance.
    Yes, I already know that last seasons were the red ones...
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

high instep/arch is a bitch to fit (so said my bootfitter)

i'm in a lange sx120 this year
    after my first day in them, i went back for work on them...my foot was numb before i made a turn.
    they ground the tongue and the instantaneous numbness in my forefoot is solved.
    now it's more of a malingering pressure under my forefoot that builds over the first few hours
    i'm skiing them for a while hoping that liner pack-out will help the issues before going back from more work, but i'm guessing i'll need some more grinding to create height

Where did you get boots in Portland ? Make sure your fitter isn't some 22 to kid that just got promotrd from selling long underwear. You might just pull out your bootboard and grind down in the front half to give yourself some height in the toe box and arch forward. If you don't have an orthotic consider a heat moldable semi custom insole. Worth every penny.

I have moved on to the Mach 1 130 MV. Instep is tight but it seems with a little more work I will get there. Boot skis way better than the Waymaker did.

Honestly I would have stayed with the Waymaker if it didn't have that stupid Live fit. I needed a 6th to punch bad but instead the softer material just rubbed me. Took until July for my feel to Fully recover.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Where did you get boots in Portland ? Make sure your fitter isn't some 22 to kid that just got promotrd from selling long underwear. You might just pull out your bootboard and grind down in the front half to give yourself some height in the toe box and arch forward. If you don't have an orthotic consider a heat moldable semi custom insole. Worth every penny.
    The Mountain Shop
    no, my guy is knowledgeable...i just have a foot that isn't the typical shape, so work is required.
    i think the chosen boot is the best shell but now we have to work some to get them dialed

Jeremy and Clayton are pretty good there. I just prefer doing my own tweaking and save the major stretching for the pros. Full on ADHD only part makes dealing with fitters and time involved unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    I have moved on to the Mach 1 130 MV. Instep is tight but it seems with a little more work I will get there. Boot skis way better than the Waymaker did.

Honestly I would have stayed with the Waymaker if it didn't have that stupid Live fit. I needed a 6th to punch bad but instead the softer material just rubbed me. Took until July for my feel to Fully recover.
    I love my Hawx130, but that stupid live fit bullshit will keep me out of the waymaker. Atomic is putting their engineering in the wrong aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Jeremy and Clayton are pretty good there. I just prefer doing my own tweaking and save the major stretching for the pros. Full on ADHD only part makes dealing with fitters and time involved unbearable.
    Yep, working with Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    high instep/arch is a bitch to fit (so said my bootfitter)

i'm in a lange sx120 this year
    after my first day in them, i went back for work on them...my foot was numb before i made a turn.
    they ground the tongue and the instantaneous numbness in my forefoot is solved.
    now it's more of a malingering pressure under my forefoot that builds over the first few hours
    i'm skiing them for a while hoping that liner pack-out will help the issues before going back from more work, but i'm guessing i'll need some more grinding to create height
    I have a similar foot and their hammer toes to prove it. I've been in Lange RX 130 for the last few seasons. Intuitions, custom foot bed and some serious punches each season keeps me good. Not much grinding, fortunately.

My previous boot fitter recommended the SX120 last season as its wider. I'm wondering if intuitions with foam in key spots might get dialed?

Lange SX 130 WOOOO HOOOO fantastic boot!!!
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Lange SX 130 WOOOO HOOOO fantastic boot!!!
    I could always punch the shell to get the width I needed in one foot, but never buckled the lower shell
    I dont have wide feet, just needed a punch in standard boots, and yet my foot is not swimming around in these, so not sure how wide they are. Obviously wider than the race lange, but not crazy wide.

There have always been boots for wide feet, and I never bought those, but there has never (to my knowledge) been a high performance boot for high instep, and this is a dream for me.

this boot is also nicely fkna stiff.
    Finally a performance boot for high instep skiers!

i can use the first two buckles! Which actually stiffens most boots. every other boot I had, I should have removed the second buckle since it only had enough pressure to keep it from flopping around (which it did often in pow).
    . . .