Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Atomic M110's this season. I have a really wide forefoot and a super high arch. They seem to work really well. Came off a B-series which is a slightly wider last (102 vs. 104mm) IIRC. My buddy who has even wider feet also skiis with the B series.

Got Salomon Ghosts and with a bit of work, they were horrific to start but now they're just about tweaked...

Toe / forefoot punched, top of bootboard ground down about 0.5mm - 1mm (made a huge difference), hole cut out of the plastic in the tongue. And finally the oversized buckles make it really easy to tighten / loosen at top / bottom of chair.

Tecnica Dragons

I agree with the Tecnica Dragons wide with heat mold liners. Get custom footbeds and be set. Had mine fitted at Norway Haus in Breck, done a great job.

Another vote for the Tecnica Dragons. Just like you, I came from X-Waves that had been punched out for my wide foot. Had to get the Dragons punched out as well but now that I've got the width right they're money. Plenty of room for my wide, high arched foot.

I'm far from a boot fitter, but a wide toe box+high arch = another vote for the Tecnica Agent IMO

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    Got Salomon Ghosts and with a bit of work, they were horrific to start but now they're just about tweaked...

Toe / forefoot punched, top of bootboard ground down about 0.5mm - 1mm (made a huge difference), hole cut out of the plastic in the tongue. And finally the oversized buckles make it really easy to tighten / loosen at top / bottom of chair.
    Since I got fit at the Start Haus by a guy who worked in the boot factories in Italy, I learned a new word for boot boards (had mine planed down, too) - zeppa. Fabi said in that one town in Italy where almost all boots for the world are made, they call bootboards zeppas.

I skied in a Solly Xwave 10 for a few years before they needed replacement. I've got the same foot situation as yourself- relatively wide with a high arch. What I've found works stupidly well for me is the Nordica SpeedMachine 110. I had the top of the toe box ground a little to accommodate my upwards-pointing toenails, but that was all the adjustment that was necessary. It is noteworthy that I have used green SuperFeet in my boots since I got the Solly's, and I use them in my Nordicas, too.

I've put 25 days on them so far and they feel great.

Lange Fluid 120's and Lange Super Blaster

I have wide feet and a high instep but a relatively normal arch. I'm currently skiing in Lange Fluid 120s with Surefoot liners and footbeds and as a sidecountry/AT boot, I'm using a Lange Super Blaster.

In both boots, I don't buckle the instep buckle as the fit is tight enough withou buckling. Width wise the Lange Fluids and Super Blasters fit fine and I haven't had to punch out either of the boots. The custom footbed helps in this regard as it helps keep my foot from splaying out too much. I will say, though, that to make room for my instep, they had to grind some material off the footbed (or the foot board, I can't actually remember).
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Tecnica Dragon 120's, thought I would need some punches but after the liner has packed a bit they fit great. Feet get a bit sore on hardpack days but not bad. Custom footbeds in them.

I've got WIDE feet with a high instep. 108 mm at the widest point (before orthotics and foot curl)

I've been using Atomic LiveFits with the default liner for my last two trips west. I only skied about 10 days each trip, but managed to develop black toe on both occasions. Painful stuff. The second time I had a fitter heat punch the liner to make it taller in the toe box, but not much help. I still messed my big toes up.

Would Intuition liners or SureFoot custom liners help with the instep/black toe issue? I think the problem is the liner isn't tall enough.

I also have minimal room before my big toe. It's probably jamming into the front of the liner. Fitters say that I will get more control with smaller length boot/liner, but I this toe thing is terrible.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Squamish; 10-24-2012 at 09:49 AM.

You'll get this a lot; but your single best resource is your local boot fitter with whom you have a good relationship. They will know the boots and the inserts and footbeds to help with your hobbit feet.

For me, the Cochise did the trick last year with an Intuition Power Wrap and a foam ankle wrap. I have narrow ankles and paddle feet and the Cochise/Demon lower has a pretty big ankle pocket.

For alpine, I went with the Lange RX130 with a Power Wrap to accomodate my high instep that the stock liner pinched.

But that works for me. Go talk to your local bootfitter. There are a lot more high performance boots with wider lasts.

Hi,

I have a high arch, high instep, short, wide hobbit foot. Basically my feet suck.

I have Intuition liners inside a Tecnica Phoenix HVL (HVL = High Volume Liner) 110 flex boot. This is my second pair of the Tecnica HVLs (my previous HVLs were Tecnica Vento HVLs which were softer....the Phoenix is stiffer which is good), they just seem to work for my short wide feet. I think Intuitions are a must too. I think the last is 106mm in the Tecnica Phoenix HVL. They are supposed to fit E - EEE width feet.

http://shop.tecnicausa.com/Product/0...hoenix-120-hvl

Also have a pair of Salomon SPK Pros park boots (2 big buckles, 104mm last) which are nice and wide and comfy in the pow or for spring slush skiing.

KC
    Last edited by kc_7777; 12-28-2012 at 09:49 PM.

^Thanks Bobcat

I'm seeing a lot of votes for the Technica Dragon. I'm thinking that and heat mold liner would work well.

I should also mention that I have poor dorsiflexion (fitter tested), and I that I'm using heel lifts below my Superfeet orthotic. Probably exacerbates the instep issue, right?
    Last edited by Squamish; 10-24-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Just an FYI, it looks like Tecnica has discontinued the Dragon and introduced the "Phoenix":

The Phoenix 120 H.V.L - or High Volume Last is designed for advanced intermediate, expert or professional skiers that have that extra wide, hard to fit, E - EEE width foot. A solid 120 flex won't buckle under the pressure of a strong skier. Cuff alignment, a removable rear spoiler and other adjustments allow personalization to dial in the fit and performance. Great for all day, all mountain skiing.
    http://shop.tecnicausa.com/Product/0...hoenix-120-hvl

check out the Head Vector 120 as well, my feet are similarly shaped and my boot fitter, Foot Loose in mammoth recommended those and they feel great.

Demon replaces dragon....

Demon is a little lower volume the dragon but might have more instep room. Haven't tried a dragon on in a while though.

^ The Tecnica Phoenix is a 106 mm last boot... the Demon is only 100mm.

If we're talking about super wide feet on the right side of the bell curve, then I'd tend to believe that the Phoenix is the better choice

Also, would it be unwise for me to the consider the Full Tilt High Five?

The Full Tilt is listed as a 102 mm boot.

I have a 108 mm foot before orthotics.

From the side profile, it doesn't seem to have much instep room either.

Left to to right: Tecnica Phoenix, Tecnica Dragon (discontinued), Full Tilt High Five, Atomic Live Fit 90

Quote Originally Posted by Squamish View Post
    ^Thanks Bobcat

I'm seeing a lot of votes for the Dalbello Blender and Technica Dragon. I'm thinking those and heat mold liner would work well.

I should also mention that I have poor dorsiflexion (fitter tested), and I that I'm using heel lifts below my Superfeet orthotic. Probably exacerbates the instep issue, right?
    I have small lifters in my Cochise to help take up volume in the heel pocket and it doesn't hamper my high instep in the boot. But again, that's dependent on your foot, but and liner. Your bootfitter will be able to do wonders with feedback you give them, so be diligent and detailed. But mostly, find a good one.

I've got the same feet as the OP, 112-114mm wide, high arch and instep.
    When I was getting fitted for race boots a few years ago my boot fitter pretty much said this. When you have to get so much work done to boot, it doesn't matter which one you get based on shell fit. I'd always been and Tecnicas and got them again but he said I could be in most brands boots. He advises getting boots with one type of plastic so they'll heat up evenly.
    Some of the things we did to those boots, expand the shell, grind the toe box area, replaced the footboard then shave it down, take out the footbeds, use paracord in the lace up liners.
    After I stopped racing I got a pair of Nodica Hell and Back Hike AT boots and they work well. They still need to be blown out some but they are comfortable, perform well, and fit my high instep with no mods.
    Find a boot fitter that'll work with you and decide with them what boot will be best to work with for what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    Yeah...think if your feet are a dead-on shellsize fit Squamish, you can do a little better than the LiveFit and Dragons. Remember the Tecnica HVLs(as are quite a few Tecnicas) are wide in the heel and lower cuff...sooo. If you're kinda narrow at the base(like splat & myself)..
    Thanks for the this response, steved. I'm a bit of a JONG when it comes to boots.

The wide heel thing is a good point on the Technicas. Would you consider this a narrow heel? I'm not sure.

The main problem with my foot is the big area in the red circle that juts out near my little toe. It's very wide for my size. I get major pain if I'm squeezed into a boot that is average width.

The RX(Lange) sounds like the best shell so far..imho...
    Without having actually tried on the Lange, will a 100mm last boot work on a foot thats 108 mm? The LiveFit goes up to 106 mm, same as the Technica Phoenix. I want to get a new boot that is slightly stiffer flex, and has more room in the big toe area to prevent black toe.

Always liked the tight lower cuff/ankle in what is now Head's Vector(I believe).
    Vector's are a little better for last width on paper (103mm)

Thanks again steve, look forward to more of your thoughts

-J
    Last edited by Squamish; 10-24-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Another candidate for the thread in general: Dalbello Axion series

Three piece design like Full Tilt, but a higher instep
    Last edited by Squamish; 10-24-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Too late now. But usually full tilt and a high instep get along about as me and my ex girlfriend.

I've got that same toe problem. Looks like you'll need to have the toe punched out. That's what I had done and my little toe is still curled under the other even when I take my feet out at the end of the day.

Edit: cancelled the FT's
    Last edited by Squamish; 10-24-2012 at 09:13 PM.