Question Krypton's liners replacement. Intuitions: which one?

<search doesn't help>

Need a replacement for current Silver I.D. liners for Dalbello Krypton Crosses (25.5 mondo, 1-finger shell fit, custom insoles),

and was thinking about Intuition PowerWrap.
    But one friend of mine just received PowerWrap model (size 27) he ordered for Krypton Il Moro (27.5) and it doesn't work at all. The PowerWraps are so thick, it's hard to buckle the boot even without foot in it
    May be go to PowerWrap Plug? Or size down? Or ...?

Looks like kryptons are very popular here, also didn't notice much difference in shell fit between Pro/Cross/Il.Moro. So may be I'll find experienced users' input here.

Which Intuition's model fits your Kryptons?
    Last edited by Va Ki Bo; 01-20-2011 at 04:18 PM.

A bump because I'm curious, too. Similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post
    <search doesn't help>

Need a replacement for current Silver I.D. liners for Dalbello Krypton Crosses (25.5 mondo, 1-finger shell fit, custom insoles),

and was thinking about Intuition PowerWrap.
    But one friend of mine just received PowerWrap model (size 27) he ordered for Krypton Il Moro (27.5) and it doesn't work at all. The PowerWraps are so thick, it's hard to buckle the boot even without foot in it
    May be go to PowerWrap Plug? Or size down? Or ...?

Looks like kryptons are very popular here, also didn't notice much difference in shell fit between Pro/Cross/Il.Moro. So may be I'll find experienced users' input here.

Which Intuition's model fits your Kryptons?

I find this wierd.

have Scarpa precision high, which is not a power wrap, but is close, and I have had to move the buckles out further on my krypton pro's, because the buckles were not nearly tight enough even on a boot with a foot in it. I use a 27.0 liner in a 26.0 shell with a 3-5 mm shell fit.

total opposite of what you have going on.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    I find this wierd...
    wierd, for sure
    even more now

Email Intutition, they deal with lots of liners and lots of boots they should be able to recommend you a liner.

As for his liners not fitting are they baked yet? IF they are baked then it should work just fine. search the tech talk there are a couple good sources for how to bake the liners easily at home, or take them to a shop get them baked.

I just picked up a set of krypton pros, without liners and my baked powerwraps out of my fulltilts fit ok, and if they were baked they would fit great. I have a 28.5 full tilt highfive and a 28.5 krypton pro, so essentially both shells are a 28 and im using my 28.5 full tilt intuition liners. Intution doesn't do half sizes other then for partners, so they recommended i size up when i order a new set for my Kryptons.

spencea, thanks a lot for input!
    Already mailed Intuitions last week, waiting...

As for his liners not fitting are they baked yet?...
    Exactly, it wasn't baked yet. Have hardbooters with raichle oven nearby for baking, but the point was that the virgin I.D. liners "from the box" was thiner than unbaked Intuition PowerWraps, and they didn't pack so much after baking ...
    may be it is because they were prebaked by Dalbello ... and fresh after-market PowerWraps will be packed generously

I just picked up a set of krypton pros, without liners and my baked powerwraps out of my fulltilts fit ok, and if they were baked they would fit great. I have a 28.5 full tilt highfive and a 28.5 krypton pro, so essentially both shells are a 28 and im using my 28.5 full tilt intuition liners. Intution doesn't do half sizes other then for partners, so they recommended i size up when i order a new set for my Kryptons.
    You have proprietary "Full Tilt Intuitions" or original PowerWrap's like on intuitionliners.com?
    If latter, definitely should go with PowerWraps as the fulltilt looks like lower volume shell compared to krypts.
    The main misconception in whole topic for me is that not all that people call "PowerWraps" are the same.

Thanks!

Mine were not yet baked. The ID liner is supposedly thinner in the footbed than the Power Wrap or Plug, so with my footbed, I wonder if the typical sizing up is needed. I'm waiting for an answer from Intuition on what they advise. I'd suggest that the OP email or call Intuition, too.

Finally received a short answer from Intuitions :/
    "Hello, The Plug liners in a size 26 should work. All the best ..."

I'll chime in since I have a set of PW plugs and Gold ID liners. There is a fairly large difference in the fit and feel of these liners. There is very little padding around the ankle area on up w the plugs. The plugs are also plaster cast stiff and I think significantly stiffer than your Silvers. You better have an honest to goodness plug fit in that boot, otherwise you will be swimming in the the plug liner after 10 days. I'm not familiar with how much softer the Silver vs the Gold--IMO the Gold is comparable to the regular PW, but if you are happy with the Silver then call your local Dalbello store and get a set of Silver replacements for not much more $$ than the regular non-branded Intuitions.

I would bet that Dalbello would sell liners as well. You might want to consider that. When I got my first set of Kryps, the shop ordered some Silver liners direct from Dalbello.
    Gravity. It's the law.

It is absolutely pointless to "test fit" Intuition liners without a bake on them. Somehow this knowledge needs to be more widely known and accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    I would bet that Dalbello would sell liners as well. You might want to consider that. When I got my first set of Kryps, the shop ordered some Silver liners direct from Dalbello.
    I looked into this, and the shop in town here (not known for having the best prices), was selling them for >$200. I'd just go with the regular intuitions. Especially if a shop near you sells them and will include baking the liner.

And the previous post about needing to bake them is dead on, although some of the new liners that either Lee or wildsnow tested out recently claim that they don't need to be baked. (Intuition 2.0 iirc) With powerwraps, you are looking at sticking your feet into a piece of hard foam that doesn't fit your foot or boot if you haven't baked them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    I looked into this, and the shop in town here (not known for having the best prices), was selling them for >$200. I'd just go with the regular intuitions. Especially if a shop near you sells them and will include baking the liner.
    Gotcha...yeah, didn't really think about that, and I got a good hookup on the stuff too. Makes sense I guess.

BTW - to the OP -- if you don't need SUPER STIFF boots, I actually prefer the Silver to the Gold liner for my Kryps. I run them middle of the road as far as flex, and I think the Silvers actually seemed a bit warmer, and they were a bit more comfy.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Kim Jong-un, actually stiffer liner is one of the reasons for upgrade.
    Thanks for valuable comparison between Gold I.D. and PW Plug ... that was I looking for.
    Also unfortunately ordering stand-alone liners in the shop is not an option in my world, considering efforts, time and money.

Wild4umlauts, yes. But it's also absolutely pointless trying to bake Luxury or Tour liner into the tight race boot and breaking them in all season long, especially when Plug liner exists. Just need some liners that fit Krypton shells as intended, not my feet.

Add: noob Q but just curious, what is "OP"?
    Last edited by Va Ki Bo; 01-21-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post
    Wild4umlauts, yes. But it's also absolutely pointless trying to bake Luxury or Tour liner into the tight race boot and breaking them in all season long, especially when Plug liner exists. Just need some liners that fit Krypton shells as intended, not my feet.

Add: noob Q but just curious, what is "OP"?
    Where did Lux or Tour liners come into this discussion? Completely different liners than the wraps. He's saying once you bake an ID or PW it will fit your foot and the boot. You buy one size up, stick it in the oven and bam! liner nirvana. If you were fitting ok in the Silvers, I'll bet the plug will be too thin...but your choice. Then regular PW or the Gold is what you want if you just want to stiffen it up a bit.

OP= orig poster, OPP=Ontario Provincial Police

^^^^^^^ Exactly.

If the Dalbello Silver I.D. works for you volume-wise then you do not have a plug-level fit. My recommendation is to go with the normal Powerwrap model in one size up from the shell -and it must be baked to be fit into the shell because it will drastically change in form and volume and provide a glove-like fit. Intuition 1.0 Ultralon liners cannot be skied into submission - that process will never arrive at the fit you get from a bake.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Jong-un View Post
    Where did Lux or Tour liners come into this discussion? ...
    I was not speaking literally, obviously
    Just was trying to say that there are lot of Intuitions, but all of them fit differently even after being baked.
    Different constructions, different volumes, different foam densities etc.
    And I'm looking for the one that fits "just like" Silver I.D., no more.
    (stiffness is secondary yet)

And yes, I know that baking what it's all about in Intuitions (baked my silvers three times already), sorry that didn't mention it explicitly.

Thanks, namesake, will definitely move to the PowerWraps and then - will see

OP= orig poster, OPP=Ontario Provincial Police
    got it) here we have "TS" for it (topic starter). and TSS=Toxic Shock Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by Wild4umlauts View Post
    ^^^^^^^ Exactly.
    Yeah! I'm on the way to normal PowerWraps, thanks for input!

I just used the Full tilt powerwrap (Full tilt branded not virgin intuition) in the Krypton, skiied it tonight and it felt good, but my liner felt a bit short on the tongue. I hope the intuition ones are a little taller, or I may have to modify the tongues slightly so they are a hair lower. I liked the boots, super stiff which I expected, made my 187 Helix react even nicer then before!!

And I did check on Dalbello liners but I am in Nova Scotia and no one sells them here, and I emailed Elan/Dalbello canada through the pro program (I'm a volunteer patroller) and go not response. But less then 3 hours after emailing intution Crystal emailed me back with discount codes, info and recommendations on liners.

Big difference in feel and construction between the Full Tilt branded Intuitions and stock Intuition models. The Full Tilt versions include 3mm of open cell foam that give them a "cushy" feel. They're also not as stiff/supportive. Personally I prefer the Intuition Powerwrap Plug and Powerwrap, but I also regularly ski on the Full Tilt Pro that comes in the First Chair model. I use the Full Tilt liner when the conditions are soft/deep and I don't need/want the practically instantaneous response from the Intuition Powerwraps. I think the Full Tilts may also be a bit warmer as they don't feel quite as "dense" as my Powerwraps.

BTW - These aren't one-off observations. I have 5 sets of Intuition Powerwraps and 3 sets of the Full Tilt Pro liners.

quasi high jack.

So about a month ago I bought some power wraps to replace my 250+ scarpa intuitions in my krypton pros. They're awesome. I wasn't figuring that I was going to be getting new kryptons, but when they annouced the changes to next years boot I bought a new pair of 11-12s which just arrived today with the "PRO I.D." liner."

It seems like they're no longer using the gold/silver system. On hand feel, the pro id does appear to be pretty thick and fairly burly. Anyone have an analysis of the most recent pro id liner vs intuition power wrap. I'm thinking I'm going to sell one of them, just trying to decide which one.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Bump

I have limited experience with the I.D. liners having only molded two sets of Gold I.D. My observation is that the Gold I.D. liners are every bit as dense and burly as Intuition's own Power Wrap and, if anything, the I.D. liner construction may actually be better. I also noticed that the Gold I.D.'s did not expand nearly as much on first bake as stock Intuitions.