Thread: Holy spam!

Holy spam!

Did somebody piss off their Russian hooker or sumpin? Started just a few weeks ago. The antispam stuff catches much but not all. Maybe if you're upgrading vB software it would be a good time to look at it? Maybe either a change to registration process, or better yet banning first post links?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

filter any postings in the unicode cyrillic range. this will have the effect of filtering out Hugh Conway too, which some people may enjoy

Is there a captcha in the reg process these days? That eliminated a lot of spam on our website from these guys.

Oh, yeah - and YOU think it's a shitload? Come back, Tye1on...I could use the help. fuuuuuck.

Good question on the captcha, I'm back on the 'if they can't leave a link they won't post' theory. And I hear ya splat, I'm still nuking spam just not doing any 'real' modding...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

maybe there are just a lot of commies interested in avalanche safety, and it is just getting lost in the translation
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I was laughing my ass of on those posts. I loved that to help fit in she needed a members list asap.

Quote Originally Posted by frozenwater View Post
    I was laughing my ass of on those posts. I loved that to help fit in she needed a members list asap.
    Well fukkin enjoy, Frozen! heh. I missed that one. Nuked like 75 yesterday.

Slide Zone is getting super spammed
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

What the fuck admins????? 13 'moderated' spam posts and 4 that made it thru, just on the first page of 'new posts'! Help!

You know you can delete them and ban the users in mass right? When you see a bunch, scroll down the right side and click the checkboxes, go down to the bottom drop down at the bottom of the page and click 'delete as spam'. You can do it all in one swoop instead of doing every thread. That's how I normally did when first logging in during bad spam spells. Just run through quick and check off all the spam threads and do a mass delete/ban.

And not sure about this 'moderated' thing. Is that what happens to threads that are caught by the new spam filters? Never saw that before.

Yep, i do know that, but was eating cereal, on the iPhone, so didn't feel like doing the fifteen rounds of enlarge/shrink/enlarge/shrink that modding requires on the phone.

And yes, the moderated means the filter caught 'em. You don't see them without mod/admin access.

I don't know what the answer is, as they've figured registration captcha out. Some forums have like three easy questions, like, 'what color is the sky on a sunny day', 'what is the business called that stores your money', that any american and many canadians would know instantly, not so much a kid in tribal Waziristan. Other forums have to manually approve all new members. Not so stoked about that idea...

Yeah, whatever measures they put in place certainly are getting buttfucked right now.

Yeh, they have gotten google type sly with the wording. Or they're taking the time to post personally, since some were "Hey, TGR moderator" and then the guy who was trying to stop the spammers (yuk) posted. I have been doing the mass delete thing off new posts. For the last week or two, if I go to work, skiing or sleep, there have been at least 50 that will have appeared when I check back in. I've been hoping you'd come back and erase the night wave from the ice coast, gameface.

Was it just me or was there a dramatic decrease today?

That's what it looked like to me. Maybe the preemptive bans I was doing just watching the most recent members names paid off. The bots were just changing the first and last letters of the names that were signing up and I was deleting them before they could post.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    I don't know what the answer is, as they've figured registration captcha out. Some forums have like three easy questions, like, 'what color is the sky on a sunny day', 'what is the business called that stores your money', that any american and many canadians would know instantly, not so much a kid in tribal Waziristan. Other forums have to manually approve all new members. Not so stoked about that idea...
    yep. Wildsnow has the "what substance do we ski on?" question before you can post. A truck forum I'm on actually makes you post in a "put your first post here" forum, and they manually move it to the right spot. That seems like a hell of a lot of work, and would be a horrible idea here if you guys had to deal with every jong that signs up. It also prevented me from bumping an old thread where my question had already been asked but not answered fully until after I had started a thread.

How about a fill in the blank. "Change for a ______?"

It would force jongs to lurk for a while until they figured it out, and I doubt any spammer would bother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    yep. Wildsnow has the "what substance do we ski on?" question before you can post. A truck forum I'm on actually makes you post in a "put your first post here" forum, and they manually move it to the right spot. That seems like a hell of a lot of work, and would be a horrible idea here if you guys had to deal with every jong that signs up. It also prevented me from bumping an old thread where my question had already been asked but not answered fully until after I had started a thread.

How about a fill in the blank. "Change for a ______?"

It would force jongs to lurk for a while until they figured it out, and I doubt any spammer would bother.
    this is an OUTSTANDING idea
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.