Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Red Mountain, Fernie advice??

We got a ton of snow here in Spokane but the damn rain has now moved in. I’m looking at heading up to BC to a few places I have never been. Planning on leaving early Friday morning…possibly tonight but I doubt it. My heels are still pretty tore up from touring earlier so it will be all inbounds.

What are the conditions looking like up that direction for Friday through Monday? Any rain or is the snow still good? Thinking the best destination will be Kicking Horse (about 7 hours from here)? Considering Red, Fernie, Revelestoke, Kicking Horse…anything I’m missing? I don’t know anything about these places and don’t have time to search so any help would be awesome! Where should I go? Running solo.. prolly spend a night or 2 in the car. Discounted lift tickets, cheap lodging anywhere?

In golden.. the hostel there (cant remember the name but it is the one by the river going up to the mountain) is ~40/night, very solid. Their breakfast is fucking awesome. Also if you end up going here, buy a Louise Max Card and you get 2 days skiing for $100 purchase then every day after is $50.

In revelstoke, (i would recommend 100X over golden, much better resort/lift layout) the Revelstoke lodge is ~90/night and same with the Alpine Inn. Dont think they have a hostel there, but as far as lift tickets go i believe they are a but if you are a student/have a pass at another mountain you get 25% off.

Not a fan of fernie, never been to red.

edit: also you probably will not want to spend a night in the car, unless your down with sleeping in -25c... big cold snap right now

Go to KH, leave now and you won't regret it. Check the rockies roll call thread.

^ you're not seriously saying that Revelstoke is better than KH are you? Revy doesn't even come close.

Alright 1 and 1. Anyone else. Sounds like it's nuking at both?..and more on the way? Do either have a chance of getting shut down due to vis/wind etc..?

My skiing level. Charge hard in all conditions. Like steeps and pow of course. Small drops but want to push myself here (10-20's maybe..fuck I don't know). More used to Mount Baker PNW style skiing. Deep, heavy, pillows, treed.

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    Go to KH, leave now and you won't regret it. Check the rockies roll call thread.

^ you're not seriously saying that Revelstoke is better than KH are you? Revy doesn't even come close.

ummm yes i am, the lift layout at revy is win compared to k-ho (not everyone likes a hour lap for a 15 minute steep). their terrain is badass, but the glades in revy are the fucking shit and this year they opened up greely bowl to add on top of the north bowl.

i like both resorts compared to anything else close to me, but IMO revy>k-ho.

Quote Originally Posted by kzlucas View Post
    Alright 1 and 1. Anyone else. Sounds like it's nuking at both?..and more on the way? Do either have a chance of getting shut down due to vis/wind etc..?

My skiing level. Charge hard in all conditions. Like steeps and pow of course. Small drops but want to push myself here (10-20's maybe..fuck I don't know). More used to Mount Baker PNW style skiing. Deep, heavy, pillows, treed.
    i would say k-ho is more likely to shut down b/c they have ganjola all the way to the top and it is very exposed on the last ridge

I love the opposing views, expressed so passionately. Let's face it; all of these places rule, especially now. I can honestly say that I've had near life-changing days at all four. Charge on, wherever you end up should be sick!

watch the weather. it's warming up everywhere and they are calling for 4C (above freezing) for Nelson Friday and rain. hopefully the freezing level will stay low enough and there is wind- by Fri pm they are saying 1500m. the bottom of ww is 1600m. if that's the case only the top part of red will be good. I'm not sure where the 'cold snap' idea is coming from- that's def over. revy looks to be warm too. top part will be good. ww and red aren't likely to be shut down due to wind, it would be better if there was wind! never heard of a shut down for vis, that's what the trees are for.

at red and ww we are mainly about the steep trees so I'm sure you'd like it. if you plan on hitting ww let me know, I'll probably be there.

eta- joining in, I find revy to be a lot of traversing (was on a snowboard but my skiier bf says the same), really you want the whole mtn open for top to bottoms. bottom trees aren't thinned though and are really thick. haven't been golden enough to say. it's too hard to pull myself away from ww and red...

Check snow-forecast.com, then the other forecasts, then look at the roll call thread there's a post there from today. No point keeping scores on opinions of which is better, since 9/10 dentists will say the terrain at KH wins. KH is a chargers mountain with a lot of skilled riders. HOWEVER the downside is the gondola as it's a major choke point. I don't ski there on weekends because of it.

Put me in the camp that says KH>Revy. Revy would be a distant 4th of the choices you mentioned, IMO.

But considering Red is half the distance and completely kicks ass, I would just go there.

All those places are great and have their own appeal. Each also has its shortcomings, but with the snow that's happening, anybody who can't have an awesome day somewhere this weekend is really a lost cause.

When I hear people saying this resort rules and that one sucks, I write it off as someone who has committed their money to a place and needs to justify why they don't ski anywhere else. I think we are amazingly lucky to have so many great places to ski within a day's drive of where we all live.

Have fun!

If you like skiing steep chutes, KH is the place to be. If you like skiing pillows and glades, go to Revy.

Never been to Red, Fernie or WH20.

For what it's worth, Revy is in really good condition from top to bottom right now with more snow on the way. The question is where the freezing level will wind up.

oh yeah, check the websites because the hills here love getting you merkins up and if you have a pass you might get 25% off. not sure of cheap places in rossland, but there are some in trail (down the mtn). also not sure about nelson, but the hotel across from me is probably $40 a night.

Thanks for the good advice so far. Dammit if I'm not as indecisive as I was when I posted this thread. I think I am convinced to leave when i get off work in an hour or so now. Even if it means a 2am arrival. I would love to hit Red both cause proximity and terrain but this rain thing has got me worried? WW sounds interesting as well but I don't know much about it. What's there in the way of challenging terrain..drops and shit like that? Is it any higher elevation than red to avoid the rain?

weather this weekend ==> KH...check the rockies thread too. Worth the read on whats happening where
    I won't stand for anything...

I'd bet Red and Fernie will be a bit on the warm / wet side this weekend.

Never been to Revy, but KH is awesome. The skiing at KH is best when visibility is pretty good (obviously that goes for pretty much any hill, but KH is less tree-skiing oriented).

You could also put sunshine village / lake louise on the list; they aren't much farther from you than KH, and closer than Revy. SV has lots of silly terrain.

both have drops, cliffs, trees, steeps. we are not the rockies so in bounds there aren't big chutes, open alpine, or that sort of thing. ww has heaps of features right now on the new chair which opened our backside- lots of boulders and downed trees to play on. red has lots of fun stuff too.

the bottom of ww is higher than the bottom of red but the tops are about the same- you mainly ski the granite chair at red anyways. I think we'll both be good for the morning tomorrow and at least early afternoon. it's the mid afternoon that the freezing level is going up. what I would do is go to red or ww tonight, check the reports in the am and pick one, ski tomorrow, then suss it out in the afternoon/evening for where to go next.

I'm for sure up at ww tomorrow am. it will be good, today rocked and it puked all day.

here's your canadian weather (for nelson, pick where you want for other places)

Sunshine Village is great and all, but when the freeride zones or south side chutes on Goats eye are closed it's pretty suck compared to the other options for terrain choices. All of the freeride zones are closed, which leaves you with intermediate skiing, or mini golf 300 metre long shots off of Standish. I love Sunshine, but you really have to know the place to get the most out of it.

Thanks everyone again for the advice! The peeps on this forum rock when not being smart asses.. But what the hell it is the bantering that keeps me reading half the time.

KH won out the battle in my head. Finally said fuck it I have wanted to go to KH for a long time and committed. In route now on schedule for a 1am arrival. Any suggestions on a car sleeping spot? Something even an hour out might be good tonight. Give me a chance to catch some zzz's and warm up on the final AM drive in. Does KH resort allow car camping?

If anyone is feeling so gracious to show me around the mountain I would gladly repay you with some chairlift BS and Après beers. Hopefully it will be a sicky sick sick sick first time to KH. I'll be riding ARG's with red pants and gray Arcteryx jacket.

Revelsuck if you like pow jibbing on short vertical in the trees with high school kids. Kicking Horse if you like big mtn riding. Whitewater is like Reveljunk with soul minus the aproach Gondola. Red is like Revelsuck but has actually been gladed by locs over decades and the gladed lines are twice as long. Rogers pass if you want to have the run of your life. Why no talk of Castle? It is my second behind the horse?

Thanks everyone again for the advice! The peeps on this forum rock when not being smart asses.. But what the hell it is the bantering that keeps me reading half the time.

KH won out the battle in my head. Finally said fuck it I have wanted to go to KH for a long time and committed. In route now on schedule for a 1am arrival. Any suggestions on a car sleeping spot? Something even an hour out might be good tonight. Give me a chance to catch some zzz's and warm up on the final AM drive in. Does KH resort allow car camping?

If anyone is feeling so gracious to show me around the mountain I would gladly repay you with some chairlift BS and Après beers. Hopefully it will be a sicky sick sick sick first time to KH. I'll be riding ARG's with red pants and gray Arcteryx jacket.
    The Blaeberry would be one of the most beautiful places to live in the world IMO. If you can get a nice acreage out there with good water, you're set.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

It will indeed be a sick sick sick day tomorrow. I would love to show you around, but.... I got something that need checking off the list tomorrow. Just look for the RMF stickers. That's me and my partner in crime. If you ask for change and they look at you like you're a retard, I'm the other one.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

i have seen people camping in k-ho parking lot, if they say anything you can sit in the residential area up around there.

Commando camping can be done in most car parks, get there late so no one sees you set up camp, and try not to get in the way of the plow.

KH is the shizzle !!!
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

STOKED! Sliding through Cranbrook right now. No volunteers for a mountain tour? How about the next best thing? Is KH pretty straight forward on where to go for the goods and to maximize your runs? Don't have to give away any secrets but an idea of where to start so I don't waste the first 3 hours of pow running all over the mountain. Or maybe where not to go. I'm not going to sleep a fucking ounce tonight. And it doesn't have anything to do with my mobile lodge..more to do with being amped for tomorrow.

btw, Rogers Pass looks awesome but my heels are tore up from touring earlier. It's gonna have to be all lift serve for now. Maybe a little hiking.