K2 Sidestash <Review>

Been using the K2 SideStash this winter - So I guess its time for a full review! Hopefully someone finds this useful. Have always got good info from Tech Talk. So time to put a little back...

About Me...

32 year male, 6"2, prefers to ski off piste when ever possible. Not into huge hucks. Like skiing all types of snow conditions, ideally powder, but ice, crusty mank, moguls are a challenge. Does that make me an aggressive skier like everyone on TGR .

Other Skis I Like

Movement, Volkl, Dynastar

Background...

In 2008 I bought a K2 Coomba. At that time it changed my perception that a 100mm+ ski could be used a daily driver in any snow condition. I liked the original Coomba alot, a very versatile ski...

When it came to a replacement I was looking for something similar - a versatile and usable 100m wide ski that could be used as a typical European quiver of one over large vertical descents. So maybe a little powder up top (at 3000m), some icy hardpack in the middle (2200m) and moguls, crud or piste at the bottom (1600m). Other skis that I seriously considered were the Faction Alias, Movement Jackal and Coreupt Coirier.

In the past I have tried the Dyanstar XXL / Movement Goliath - and whilst i thought they were great in good conditions and open spaces found them a little much / too stiff for shorter turns and tree skiing. Plus the stiffer tips on these skis really need to be driven through, instead of over, the snow sometimes.

K2 Side Stash Tech Specs...

From K2 web site.
    http://k2skis.com/skis/adventure/sidestash

Performance: Variable Snow 20%; Soft Snow 80%
    Sizes: 167, 174, 181, 188
    Radius: 23m@174
    Construction: Metal Laminate Hybritech sidewall
    Core: Aspen/Paulownia
    Weight: 2070g@ 174

Dimensions - 139/108/127

K2 Sidestash vs. Coomba

This Sidestash has same shape as the Coomba - but 6mm width has been added at tip, tail and underfoot. So what was 102mm under foot becomes 108mm... There is also the addition of what K2 call all terrain rocker in the nose. Unlike the Coomba there is now a proper sidewall, and the ski feels a lot stiffer and generally more substantial probably due to the metal laminate sheet.

The Coomba (wrongly) got called a noodle because the soft tip flapped at speed - when in fact the softer flex is exactly what made the Coomba usable in different turns radius or types of snow - you just had to stand centered on them and accept the flappy tip.

K2 Sidestash Review

In the last month I have had this ski out in all different snow conditions - and it has excelled in all of them. In fact I would go so far to say that its noticeably better than the Coomba for everything... apart from weight.

Its no surprise that the Sidestash excels in deep powder or crud - because that is what it is designed for. The flat tail is fantastic and releases from deeps turns so easily smoothly and the subtle rocker really helps in even the deepest crud or breakable crust. For a powder / back-country ski I would never go back to a full twin-tip - though it seems that many other manufacturers still think all mountain skis must have a twin...

The main surprise for me was how well this ski performs on hard icy snow, moguls, or even pistes. Even at slow speeds or short radius turns it feels amazingly nimble. I have to admit that I was worried that the addition of rocker would reduce the effective edge and decrease hard snow performance. However I was wrong.... K2 really have nailed the concept of rocker. Even though I was very skeptical the K2 marketing blurb (i.e ''rocker is not just for powder'') is indeed correct. Have never skied something 105mm+ wide that is also so good in shorter radius turns, trees, bumps or pisten carven.

I am 6"2 and bought them in a 188cm length, however this is actually exactly the same size as a 194cm XXL !? (Apparently K2 measure effective edge length rather then ski length before its pressed ?). Unless your getting this ski specifically for touring I would go for longer length - don't be scared, as whilst being a fairly burly ski its also easy to handle. Sounds like a contradiction I know - but its true.

My only criticism would be that the lime green graphics don't really float my boat... But they are growing on me - at least there arent any hell-bent monsters or bondage graphics! (FWIW my favourite K2 graphics are the simple classic ones that hark back to the Glen Plake and Blizzard of Aahs era ).

Summary

If you dont need a twin tip to go backwards, and mainly ski off-piste, then this ski should be on your shopping list. Mount them with Dukes or Barons and you may even have the perfect mythical ''euro-quiver of one'' ?

Sidestash is so good on hard snow that I would question why anyone genuinely interested in lift assisted off-piste skiing would buy the HardSide...

A good friend put dynafits on a pair of Sidestash this year - and is also very happy (though I still reckon the Coomback is a better dedicated touring option due to the lighter weight).

For the Euros Sportconrad.com have a smoking deal on them.
    The 09 and 10 models are apparently the same apart from the top sheet.

Photos

Sidestash at Mottec bus stop in the Val D'Annivers - Switzerland.

Raping some powder fields in Grimentz. (SS tracks on right )

Sidestash on some water ice / boiler plate, Glenshee - Scotland.
    Last edited by Scottish_Skier; 01-30-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Nice, detailed review. Have been looking at these as a possible replacement to my XXL's. I've also been seeing quite a few of the K2 top sheets in the Cascades this year. Fm the Obsethed to just about everything in between.

Just lots of people skiing on the Hardside and Sidestash this season.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Have been looking at these as a possible replacement to my XXL's.
    If you softened the XXL, added more sidecut, a little bit of tip rocker and cut some of the weight you get the Sidestash. You do lose the burly smash through ability and huge stability of the XXL but gain actual carveability and more forgiveness.

If you like the plank and tank feel of the XXL you'll hate the Sidestash, if you ever wished the XXL was more easy going and supple you'll love the Sidestash.

Yup - SideStash seems to me like an XXL or Movement Goliath for mere-mortals.

Similar flotation in the pow or crud - but easier in short turns / bumps / variable / trees / moguls. Basically more forgiving, refined and nimble, which in my humble opinion is probably a good thing for 90% of skiers.

Very nice and useful, thanks!!!!

Yup, this has become a pretty popular ski around Cham as well for many of the reasons listed above.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post
    If you softened the XXL, added more sidecut, a little bit of tip rocker and cut some of the weight you get the Sidestash. You do lose the burly smash through ability and huge stability of the XXL but gain actual carveability and more forgiveness.

If you like the plank and tank feel of the XXL you'll hate the Sidestash, if you ever wished the XXL was more easy going and supple you'll love the Sidestash.
    Well, usually after lunch, and my legs are worked fm skiing the XXL's, I would wish for a little less burle and plank, and a little bit more supple and ease.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Definitely a super popular ski. When I demoed a pair there were more of those at crystal than anything else. Still I think they suck. They hand flex fairly stiff but there's no tip to drive and they have to make a million little turns everywhere. I'm 6'2" 230 they were mobile but skied very short. If you really like the xxl or in my case 192 bros you're going to be unimpressed/ disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Definitely a super popular ski. When I demoed a pair there were more of those at crystal than anything else. Still I think they suck. They hand flex fairly stiff but there's no tip to drive and they have to make a million little turns everywhere. I'm 6'2" 230 they were mobile but skied very short. If you really like the xxl or in my case 192 bros you're going to be unimpressed/ disappointed.
    Well, you're 65 lbs more than I. I still like to take the XXL's out for the deep stuff, and I like how they handle the heavier wet Cascade snow with the stiffer tip. But this season has had lots of lighter, dryer snow, and I've actually skied my Atua's more than the XXL's.

Can anyone compare them, or has anyone skied, the G3 Manhattan? Very similar looking ski.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.