Snow Sports Sales Surge in November

MCLEAN, Va. (Jan. 6, 2010) - The snow sports market reached $1 billion in sales August through November, 14% above last season, setting a new benchmark for early season sales. Equipment sales are leading the charge with a 22% increase in dollars sold overall and 13% more units sold. Alpine equipment sales are up 23% season-to-date, and snowboard equipment sales are enjoying an excellent recovery with 20% more dollars sold through November compared to last season’s disappointing numbers. Apparel sales are strong in the early season increasing 9% in dollars sold despite a warmer than average October.

La Niña conditions really took hold in November bringing in more seasonal snow sports weather and sales. Accessories sales increased more than 16% led by very strong surges in goggles, wax, snowboard accessories and backcountry accessories. Overall, the market is on track to set new benchmarks in dollars sold due to snowy weather brought by La Niña, increased consumer confidence in the snow sports demographic, and snow sports enthusiasts who are ready for new equipment and excellent snow conditions.

“We have increased sales across the board, but one trend is women are back in the market place. They are buying hard goods with a noticeable increase,” said Bill Langlands, owner of Darkside Snowboards.

Early Season Trends

56,345 Alpine ski systems with waists 70-79mm were sold by November 30, a 43% increase in units sold
    AT/Randonee equipment sales are up more than 70% overall led by boot sales that increased 122% to $3.4 million in sales
    Reverse camber snowboard sales are up 60% in units and reverse camber ski sales are up 130% to more than 18,600 units sold season to-date
    Snowboard sales are up 13% in units and 19% in dollars sold, a solid turnaround from last season’s relatively dismal sales
    Telemark equipment was the only equipment category in the red through November losing 12% in dollars and 18% in units sold
    Snowboard apparel tops up 19% in dollars sold
    Glove sales increased 26% in dollars and 24% in units sold
    Goggles sales surged up 46% in units sold to 360,000 pairs
    Carryover sales are down 14% overall in specialty

Source: SIA RetailTRAK™ BY Leisure Trends Group. Topline data includes carryover sales

Regionally, heavy early snow, or perhaps, the promise of snow brought consumers out to buy in the Western region where sales were up 30% in dollars sold. The Northeast enjoyed increases of 5% in units sold and 10% in dollars sold after two seasons of decline. Unexpectedly, the South also enjoyed sales increases after last year’s stellar sales. Growth in the Midwest region was steady with a 6% increase in units sold and 9% growth in dollars sold on very strong equipment sales. In fact, equipment sales in the Midwest were up 23% in dollars sold.

Viva La Niña - not only are we having a great winter, but people are starting to spend again!!

Colorado News
    Last edited by media310; 09-18-2011 at 05:21 PM.

i wonder what it would do if you added the portion of helmet camera sales that are ski related to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    i wonder what it would do if you added the portion of helmet camera sales that are ski related to the mix.
    Seriously. I would love to see GoPro's profits around christmas. I see so many gopros on the hill now.

glad to hear it!!

i work at a shop in Ludlow Vt. people are buying again, big time! the manufactures are having trouble keeping up. which is good, actually. demand and whatnot. clearing a lot of the older stuff off the wall is also, noice! not to mention the fact that the hill in town had a record xmas. multiple 14k ticket days. woot!
    crab in my shoe mouth

This just in: Bicycle sales projected to spike, in conjunction with the lengthening of days.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident