Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Just tried some RX 130's on and it was a great fit. I'm a little concerned about the flex though. Anyone here know if they stiffen up a LOT in the cold? Obviously all boots do to some extent or another, but these felt pretty soft compared to my old Falcon 110's.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    Just tried some RX 130's on and it was a great fit. I'm a little concerned about the flex though. Anyone here know if they stiffen up a LOT in the cold? Obviously all boots do to some extent or another, but these felt pretty soft compared to my old Falcon 110's.
    That's what I'm wondering, to me they don't feel soft so much as more progressive and smooth (matter of prospective I suppose) I wonder if they changed there mold, or build technique... from the old standard lange...
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

my buddy at the shop said the different plastic in the RS would make it a bit "Poppier" than the RX, but I want the rubber replacable soles.....

ETA: I'll look for the review. Thanks.

Short answer: yes.

I did 70+ days this past season in the 11/12 RX 130. (I got a pair early from Lange to review, and I'll finally be posting that review in the next couple of days.)

I love the RX 130. I also feel like they soften up more than any boot I have ever skied. I love them when it's cold out, but when it's really warm, the boot (lower shell) feels like it opens up enough to notice, so much so that on really warm spring days, I started wearing a thicker sock to try to ghetto-suck up space.

Again, this is an issue with most boots, but this quality seemed a bit more pronounced to me in the RX 130. Still, this is my boot, and something else is going to have to come along to knock it out of position.

(I'm looking at you, Fischer Vacuum 150....)

Thread Jack...
    How would you compare the fit of the falcons to the RX 130?

Hard to say as the Langes were brand new and my Falcons are anything but. Seemed fairly close, a little lower in the instep and narrower in the ankle with the Langes. Pretty similar in the toe box. That's my guess anyway.

Ok. Pulled the trigger on the RX130's and have been bouncing around the house in them. I know boot fitting is definately a case by case situation, but since the Falcon comparison has been brought up, and I ski'd in Falcon 110's (not the CS shell) the last three seasons, I'll add some insight.

The RX130's are softer than the Falcons in my TV room, no idea how they'll compare on the snow

The upper cuff is more accomodating for those of us who have "athletic calves"

The instep is lower in the Langes, but not a lot.

I like rubber soles on my skiboots now.

The toe box is wider than the Falcons, but the "sixth toe" area is a bit narrower, but not much really

The ratchet style power strap kicks ass and may be very effective at changing the flex of the boot.

Bsl is 326 mm

Green and white boots make my ass look big.

I just got the RX 130's as well and have the same thoughts not having skied them yet. Was a little concerned about a 130 being too stiff, but just based on walking around a bit in them I'm no longer concerned. And the power strap definitely feels like it will give you the ability to make them stiffer if need be. Also, nice liner - very comfortable.

Ok. Pulled the trigger on the RX130's and have been bouncing around the house in them. I know boot fitting is definately a case by case situation, but since the Falcon comparison has been brought up, and I ski'd in Falcon 110's (not the CS shell) the last three seasons, I'll add some insight.

The RX130's are softer than the Falcons in my TV room, no idea how they'll compare on the snow

The upper cuff is more accomodating for those of us who have "athletic calves"

The instep is lower in the Langes, but not a lot.

I like rubber soles on my skiboots now.

The toe box is wider than the Falcons, but the "sixth toe" area is a bit narrower, but not much really

The ratchet style power strap kicks ass and may be very effective at changing the flex of the boot.

Bsl is 326 mm

Green and white boots make my ass look big.

First time langer

I have NEVER gotten along with a Lange boot. Tried the RS 130 97mm on and guess what my new boot is?!

I did opt for the RS140 though ... The 130 would need to stiffen up a lot in the cold.

My boot fitter is a bit aggro and wanted to put me in a 28.5, but I'm not going back there- almost lost toes once before, and the bottom line is that it's not needed. The folks at Lange have really made efficient use of space and I can cram my foot into a 29.5 without any shell punching (well maybe just a little for the big toes ... The 28.5 would be a lot of work).

I am concerned to hear that they're cold - had frostbite a few times and don't really want to lose those little piggies, but they can't be any colder than my old atomics with a titanium plate under foot!
    Who cares how the crow flies

Does anybody find that the narrowness and length is a bigger than whats stated? I just tried on the 130 pros in a 25.5, and the shell(liner out) fit bigger than my 26 BDs. Even sticking a footbed in, they felt loose, especially the heel. I'm almost wondering if they somehow gave me a 26 and didn't realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoePSA View Post
    Does anybody find that the narrowness and length is a bigger than whats stated? I just tried on the 130 pros in a 25.5, and the shell(liner out) fit bigger than my 26 BDs. Even sticking a footbed in, they felt loose, especially the heel. I'm almost wondering if they somehow gave me a 26 and didn't realize it.
    Lange tends to run longer than most other boots at the same mondo size. Not just in boot sole length, but in length inside the shell. If we ever want to see if a customer can go down a size, we will start with Lange. I.E. if a lange in a 25.5 feels too short, probably any other 25.5 you try on will feel even shorter. Keep in mind this is a general statement and their is always the exceptions...

YoEddy,
    AFAIK PowTron is the only one complaining of cold in these boots. Over at Epic couple of folks actually opined that they are quite toasty.
    Anyway I'm in same boat - coming from fricken freezing Atomics with the metal plate and hoping the new Lange RX's sitting at home are better in that regard.

The latest last has a more anatomical shape to it so that may make if feel wider than what you're used to, i.e.. punched out slightly outside 5th metatarsal.

To add, I'm not getting as cold in RX130s as I did in my previous Garmont Shamans and Nordica HoT Rods.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    YoEddy,
    AFAIK PowTron is the only one complaining of cold in these boots. Over at Epic couple of folks actually opined that they are quite toasty.
    Anyway I'm in same boat - coming from fricken freezing Atomics with the metal plate and hoping the new Lange RX's sitting at home are better in that regard.
    I did try to go back to the shop at the end of last year, but was told to come back in this fall (understand, they had already switched over to summer stuff). With my Wedding and Honeymoon going on the last few months, I finally started skiing yesterday and thinking about going back to the shop this weekend.

Yeah, I still am having issues with them being cold...I am not sure what the deal is. The boot itself is kick ass. I am going to put Intuition Liners in them next week, and I have a feeling that will fix my warmth issue (as I have been saying for months now).

My boots fit VERY snug, just an FYI. I am still in the process of finalizing a toe punch and sixth toe area punch as well in the next couple of weeks, but the boots are getting so close to perfect. I lost my entire nail on my big toe on my right foot last year, and also had numbness down the right side of that foot...hence the bootwork coming.

Either way, last year's RX 120 that I have is the coldest boot I ever have owned, so I am trying anything possible to not have to dump them due to that.
    Last edited by PowTron; 10-27-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    You should have been here yesterday!

So I got the 97mm RS 140's, and have to say;

Flex seems to be spot on for me. Burly but not over-bearing, or stupid stiff. They seem real easy to make softer if needed. The power strap is nice, but it's been replaced by a WC Booster.

Fit is puzzling to me. They do make effecient use out of a given shell size. I ALWAYS have to punch a 29/29.5 shell for my big toes (Egyptian foot), but at first glance it doesn't appear that I'll have to punch these. At minimum I will have to stretch the liner a bit to pre-break-in. Perhaps punch the toes more out of habit

They seem wide up front for a 97mm last, but when buckled even just moderately tight there is no way my foot is going anywhere, and the heel hold is insane. If I have to do any work on these boots its going to be in the heel to make them fit my Barney Rubble shaped feet (which is BTW why I never got along with Lange before).

The liner is as nice of a liner as I have seen from any boot. The 140 has gel flow - not sure if the others do or not. The footbed however, like all others is a complete joke.

FWIW this will be my first stock, non-foam liner in 20+ years.

Can't wait to get on them.

The 140 uses a different liner than the lower numbered boots
    It's very close to the race (plug) boot liner
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

YoEddy - Curious to hear how the 140s ski. Also curious to hear what the comfort level is on hikes if you're doing that. Sometimes I think I get tricked into thinking these new "freeride" series boots are really more comfortable when in many cases they are likely fairly similar given they are the same 130+ flex 97mmm last boots as the race shell counterparts...

I do like the rubber soles for hiking (have them on my B Squad Carbon 130s), though i'd always trade that for more stiffness.

Arty or anyone else have a feel for the RX 130 stiffness vs. the Rossi BSquad Carbon 130?

Also does anyone know if the forward lean is adjustable on the RX and/or the RS (the spec on the lange website makes it seem like it is). The RX looks pretty weak / upright... guess its a preference thing though...

Forward lean not adjustable, you can change flex by playing with the spine bolts.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    The RX looks pretty weak / upright... guess its a preference thing though...
    So get the RS 130?

The RX 130 as you know is freeride boot. I hated trying to drive the Banshee Pro's excessive forward lean in powder or just boot packing up, I feel a lot more comfortable now in the RX 130. Don't get me wrong, I loved the boot back east on groomers but now I'm back out here I'm glad that boot doesn't have to see the light of another day on my feet.

Just like my Zzero's these boots are catered towards my style of skiing. I'm no racer and enjoy the slight upright on the boot while still giving ample flex at speed. It's almost the perfect boot for a lot of guys not bashing gates all day and just freeskiing. Glad to pick up the last 26.5 at Inkline in SLC
    If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    Arty or anyone else have a feel for the RX 130 stiffness vs. the Rossi BSquad Carbon 130?
    In my ever so brief shop test last year, they felt amply stiff compared to my BSquad Carbons. More importantly, I friggen love the fact that they're more upright. I absolutely hated skiing my BSquads in pow. The older Rossi boots were more upright, but when they switched to the Lange lowers they increased the forward lean. It made skiing more neutral in pow a chore, which really pissed me off. The RXs are just perfect. I can't friggen wait to pick mine up when the shop opens for the season.

Oh and for those with cold feet, the liner is pre-cut in the back to accept the cord for electric foot warmers.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Fwd lean isn't adjustable on the shell ... Some would argue that real boots shouldn't have adjustable fwd lean and be properly bolted. However as with any boot if you want more lean just add a rear spoiler, want more lean add a thicker one. The RS has a spoiler attached by Velcro that you can move up or down to suit your needs. Simple yet effective. Not sure about the RX though - assume it's the same.

From what I can tell it seems like the new generation of boots all have less fwd lean but also less ramp angle, which should negate each other somewhat, sort of.

They definitely make efficient use out of the size but I wouldn't say they have longer boot sole lengths as a result. On the contrary - I'm going down in BSL by 2mm but do not have to punch the shell (old Atomics were punched out a ton).

The liners in the 140 are definitely svelt, but the shell is hardly a plug fit, which makes it feel strangely huge (this coming from a guy that has been in foam for 20 plus years). Still, my foot does not seem like it'll have the opportunity to swim at all ... Hoping I don't need to go with conformable foam liners.

Will do plenty of hiking in these but have a pair of Endorphins for serious stuff.

Anyway - I'll be on them in just two short weeks!

Fair enough guys - definately interested in trying these out. Never have gotten the right fit with my B Squad 130s though I love the way the boot performs.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Oh and for those with cold feet, the liner is pre-cut in the back to accept the cord for electric foot warmers.
    Yes, but even with that I cannot believe how thin the liner is up in the toebox and forefoot...feels like just a piece of leather. Kind of a shit liner for the level of boot in my opinion.
    You should have been here yesterday!

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of last years' RX120s off of evo's outlet section. I had tried on the 2012 RX120s and really liked the fit. This will be my first new boot in 13 or 14 years, so I am pretty stoked. Now to decide on where to have them fit/have insoles done...

PowTron- It really sounds like, physiologically (numbness along with freezing feet) that something about the fit on yours is off, circulation wise. Take a look at a diagram of foot circulation and see if there is some pressure/pinch around the areas where the major vessels go. One spot where it is too tight around those foot vessels will make life miserable in almost the exact ways that you describe. I suppose your Intuitions should solve the issue. Just my .02, non-pro, non-bootfitter thought process.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Picked up a pair of RX 130s last week. Fit feels spot on out of the box. Definitely not as stiff as my old Speed Machine's though; maybe a good thing.

Also, apparently Lange is having problems with the imitation booster strap thing fraying. I was told by the Lange rep that they will be replacing the straps at the factory as the year goes on. If yours frays, your local shop should be able to get a new replacement strap from Lange for you for no charge.

Also, this exact color and model will be the exact same for next season (2012/2013), which the exception of non-fraying straps.

No worries about your bro's one-upping you with the newer model next year!