Australia & New Zealand vacation rental car help?

I'm going to be in Australia and New Zealand for a couple weeks in February. I need to rent a vehicle in both places. It's got to be something with enough room to haul around 5 people with luggage from the airport to a condo and wherever else we go. I'm thinking a full size van or SUV?? Are there any good websites or companies to go through? Do I need a 4 wheel drive or something with ground clearance? Any info here would be helpful. Also any suggestions on places to see, eat, and activities would be good.

Rental location in Australia is Port Macquarie airport. In New Zealand is Queenstown.

Quote Originally Posted by kzlucas View Post
    Do I need a 4 wheel drive or something with ground clearance? Any info here would be helpful. Also any suggestions on places to see, eat, and activities would be good.

Rental location in Australia is Port Macquarie airport.
    to do what?
    where are you going?
    camping? campervanning?

No solid plans yet. We are all into outdoor recreation. Hiking, biking, snorkeling, kayaking, rafting etc... Mixed age group from 32 to 52. We are all in good athletic condition. Staying in condos both places...Port Macquarie AU and Wanaka NZ. Probably will try to do a lot of cooking there but some good eats would be cool as well. My cousin and I may hit the early nightlife scene a few times as well. I know it will be some long days cause we want to see a lot but also have the condo in one place to come back to every night...could be a lot of driving?

good eats & nightlife in port maq? ha, good luck with that... that's the florida of NSW, where people go to die. buuut, some nice surf and quiet beaches. The local seafood will be worth hitting up, should be top notch. I understand there's some ok rafting in the mountains behind Coffs Harbour (a short drive north). Unless you specifically want to go 'off road' there, I can't see the need for 4wd or such.

When I was in NZ I rented from Jucy. http://jucy.co.nz/ No real complaints. The cars are somewhat old, but they are in good mechanical condition and CHEAP. They aren't the cheapest, however, but pretty damned close. When I got my van broken into (window smashed in, shit stolen) in Christchurch they turned me around with a new van in less than 2 hours, pretty good deal. Britz and the like are way way way overpriced.

Careful with the insurance policies, that is where they really fleece you. I took the minimum insurance (no extra per day). And had to pay about $150 for the new window, but that was about a quarter of what I would have paid if I'd taken the high end insurance policy, and you are limited to a certain payout if you wreck the car anyway (unless its a single vehicle accident, in which case you pay the full cost regardless of insurance).

Think they rent in Oz too, but I don't know what their lineup is like.

Hope this helps.

Also, good fucking luck on "nightlife" in Wanaka. Try Queenstown. The cab fare might even be worth it.
    I thought their offices would be strewn with bunny-fucking and condom dispensers, a veritable enchanted forest of cock shafts and twat mist. - JoeStrummer

Thanks for the rental info. I'll def do some research on the insurance thing. That's the second time I've heard something similar to that. Im guessing US auto insurance policies dont cover you over there? Is there much vandalism and theft? Should we be extra cautious about leaving shit in the vehicle? Getting your gear jacked could seriously mess up a whole vacation! Selfish pricks!

As for the nightlife.. not really a big deal. Definitely not the focus. Just thought if there was something around we might check it out. Getting a good beer somewhere is more what we will be craving. Seafood sounds great!

Anything else..must see or worth while places? OR don't waste your time places and tourist traps?