Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

[SPAM] Binding Freedom Threaded Inserts now available

Yup. I got my first article samples from the new manufacturer and they work perfect. I get a big box of inserts January 10th, so orders will start shipping next week. Goto www.bindingfreedom.com to place your order.

If you joined TGR before me, you qualify for Maggot pricing, since these were conceived, refined, and developed in tech talk posts with your help. Please PM me for a coupon code.

On another note, I'd like to remind you why you've been waiting so patiently for the new Binding Freedom inserts, as opposed to buying the knock-off inserts produced and sold elsewhere on the web. In short, the new inserts are really sweet! Quality is top-notch and they include bunch of new features including:
    * 1mm deeper threads on the inside - without making the outside any bigger, and still retaining the watertight bottom. This translates into 6mm of full thread engagement for more secure mounting and better match to various fastener lengths.
    * Proprietary installation slot on the top, to make initial installation much easier with a slotted screwdriver.
    * Roll-formed threads for extra-rugged threads which will stand up to more binding swaps.

Lastly, I've been working hard on a custom toolkit to make the installation process easier and more precise. I will post an installation tutorial in tech-talk as soon as I have all the details ironed out. Improved Installation kits will be available in the next few weeks. For now, I have everything you need to do a "traditional" installation on the site.

feel free to post comments or questions in this thread.

Trigger pulled, stoked to see them!
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

jon,

excellent work and way to see it through from concept to delivery. i just ordered sollyfits because i want them, but really needed inserts and had some timing issues for a trip. any thought on how quickly they are delivered USPS (to the east coast) if i pulled the trigger today?

We ship everything with US Postal priority mail. 3-5 days is the quoted delivery, I think about 4 days to EC is average. Inserts aren't in stock until Jan 11th, but Sollyfits are in stock now. I don't split shipments, so your order would be held up if you have inserts in the order. Hope this helps.

yep, thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    * Proprietary installation slot on the top, to make initial installation much easier with a slotted screwdriver.
    I figured you'd done this to make some kind of a slotted cylinder-washer so that the installation bolt doesn't over-tighten and makes for easier removal of the installation bolt (does that make any sense?)

PM coming . . . I've been waiting for these.

I <3 You!!!!!!

Does that qualify for the discount? I kid, but really thanks for the work man! Appreciate everything you've done.

BTW, how can I get you measurements for a Marker Jester screw kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    I figured you'd done this to make some kind of a slotted cylinder-washer so that the installation bolt doesn't over-tighten and makes for easier removal of the installation bolt (does that make any sense?)
    No, the slot is so that you don't need to use an installation bolt at all. I constantly had trouble removing the installation bolt - it always unscrewed the insert by mistake. Just use a slotted screwdriver (you need a 5/16" wide slotted screwdriver). Or when I release the tool kit, I have created a tool that mates to that slotted feature.

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    * Roll-formed threads for extra-rugged threads which will stand up to more binding swaps.
    They're roll-threaded on the ID? Impressive.

Here's the best discussion of roll-formed interior threads I've found:
    http://www.sme.org/cgi-bin/find-arti...20040401&&SME&

They are better in almost every way, except that if the manufacturing process is not controlled well, they are worse in every way.

^ good read if you are interested in that kind of stuff. Impressive indeed.

http://www.quiverkiller.com/ same thing, just a better site and customer service

Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    ...so that the installation bolt doesn't over-tighten and makes for easier removal of the installation bolt...
    Having the tool stuck in the insert shouldn't be much of an issue, if you:

- Use a long 5mm socket-head bolt as your installation tool.
    - Thread two 5mm nuts on the tool, then a fender washer, then the insert.
    - Don't bottom the bolt in the insert, leave a few threads of space so it's loose.
    - Slide the washer down against the insert, then spin the lower nut to the washer, then spin the upper nut down, then using two wrenches tighten the two nuts together.
    - Turning the tool by the upper nut with a wrench (you could have the head of the bolt in a loose drill press chuck to keep it vertical), thread the insert into the ski until the fender washer bottoms out on the topsheet.
    - Using a wrench on the bolt to keep it from turning, use a wrench on the top nut to spin it loose. (If both nuts move it doesn't matter, as all you want to do is back the nuts off the washer a bit.)
    - Now the bolt will be loose in the insert and easily removed.

(I haven't actually done this, but being fairly mechanically inclined I'm sure it would work.)

That said, I've put in my order for these new inserts! I dig the rolled threads and 6mm engagement.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 01-20-2011 at 11:37 PM.

This is a revolution
    Someday I'm gonna be telling telling my kids about how you used to have to buy these from the homie online and install them yourself.

good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Minibus4 View Post
    http://www.quiverkiller.com/ same thing, just a better site and customer service
    Those are "older" models based on a previous design made my jondrums himself.

IFRC, jondrums allowed quiverkillers to be produced by puderluder. Buy from the original engineer and the guy who's helped us out with the Dynadukes, Sollyfits, not to mention these easy to install inserts and so many other things! (binding templates.....)

what is the discounted price on these inserts with the maggot discount code?

If you feel that I've provided poor customer service to you, do me a favor and give me the chance to make it right before dissing me.

FAAAAAAAHLK YOU!

Apologies for the jong question, but would I have to buy new screws to match the threads or could I use the stock screws?

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    what is the discounted price on these inserts with the maggot discount code?
    I can't imagine much of a discount on top of $1.15. That's already a damn good prince for a sweet product. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by enzo3366 View Post
    Apologies for the jong question, but would I have to buy new screws to match the threads or could I use the stock screws?
    No, the inserts are designed to work with Metric M5 machine screws, which are designed for multiple uses. You would need to get the equivalent machine screws to use with the inserts.

When I use up my batch of QK's I would certainly like to try your product.

One question on the Dyna/Duke plates. Which is the front and which is the rear? I am familiar with Dynafit mounts but not the Dukes. I looked for the 5 hole pattern for the front Dynafit part but that plate seemed "not long enough" to me. Maybe I am looking at it wrong?

Dig the colors BTW.

Thanks for the insite, JONG. You sir should stay on the "short bus".

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    I can't imagine much of a discount on top of $1.15. That's already a damn good prince for a sweet product. Nice work.
    You are right it is not much of a discount, but it is a great gesture by Jondrums and goes back to his original concept when allowing puderluder the ability to have Jon's first design produced.

Your a good man Jondrums.

Fuck you douche bag.... If they have such good customer service, then why during the summer months did all communication have to run through their/his facebook page? Something that was discussed, created, and initially sold here, could no longer be discussed here. If I wanted to buy or ask question about this product, quiverkiller, I had to sign up for facebook. So a product was being promoted here, but all answers and questions HAD to run through facebook... Sounds like great customer service.