Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    ...my belief is that we'll yield the fastener before the insert. We'll see!
    I bet you'll yield and fail the ski before any material making up the insert or fastener yeild.

After doing testing and field performance observations over the years, the pullout testing has limited value in my opinion. I think that the combined lateral/withdrawal, cyclic, dynamic, and vibration loading the fasteners-to-ski connections see during actual use probably degrade and govern the connection strength. For example, I've seen a number of screws sheared in "K2" tele inserts, presumably due to shear between ski and binding during flex. Shear load effects are not captured in withdrawal testing but perhaps control the combined shear&withdrawal capacity over time with use.

I'd be interested to see ski flexure tests with and without inserts. I'm curious how 5/16" diameter holes weaken the ski in flexure, especially multiple holes. Sorry for the tech talk digression, but cool to see that more testing is being contemplated.

An interesting development:
    http://www.wildsnow.com/4004/backcou...-binding-swap/

Zeno- thanks for your input! Regarding ski flex: I believe that the flex of the ski is primarily such that the area around the insert is in compression. If that's true, then I would guess that the stainless steel insert (if well bonded) should actually make the ski stiffer. An empty 5/16 hole would be a bad thing, but one filled with an inset ought to be just fine.

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2663746&postcount=36"]here's an old post I made on the subject.[/ame]

What else can I say, they're really frigging nice.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Bump because binding inserts are going to change my life. The second-string quiver thanks you.

thanks for the bump - I hadn't seen that scralp photo of my workbench!

Just received mine in the mail today! Thanks for the fast shipping, I like the discreet packaging, my wife has no idea I spent $100 on binding screws...

Binding Freedom's website says:
    Your order will ship Monday 1/16/2012 - inserts are on backorder until then

...is this just left over from last year?

http://bindingfreedom.com/Threaded-I...idual-3001.htm

http://bindingfreedom.com/Inserts_c3.htm

Availability In-Stock

Quote Originally Posted by stearnsn View Post

http://bindingfreedom.com/Threaded-I...idual-3001.htm
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Thanks, just put in my order.

Quote Originally Posted by stearnsn View Post

sorry for the confusion - I forgot to remove that. fixed.

Bump,

about to make a big order and need the maggot code. Jon must be a busy guy. Any One have the code, pm me? I lost it from last time.

I am looking to buy 10 myself.
    do you need a special bit and tap? (I know, search, JONG!)

Just wanted to post saying that this product is top notch!

The quality is superb and Jon is a pleasure to do business with.

If you travel to ski and want to bring a quiver there is no better way to do it.
    (plus I don't have to spend $$$ for another tech binding and can pick from my full line up when touring -no lifts out here, so that's most of the time)

Props

Anyone know why Jon stopped selling the 72hr (orange) epoxy, only selling the 24hr (blue) epoxy now, and the bottles of locktite, only selling one-time packets?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Probably due to the transition.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

And apparently Terry doesn't pimp his own wares here, but he's got both of them.

yeah buy from SlideWright - better customer service

Jon... any chance you will be offering updated heel plates for the STH2 bindings? I already have a few sets of sollyfit plates, and would love an option to just update my heels.

Any plans for plates compatible with Salmon/Atomic Wardens? If they work with full rocker soles like the are supposed to, plates may come in handy for a bunch of people. I believe they have the same heel pattern as the STH2s but the toes are different (guardian toes?).

Okee dokee, so I'm finally in a spot that I'm looking do more with less (ie can't justify new skis this year when I've got 3 little ski rats to support).

What am I missing here? Whats the main difference between the plates and the inserts? Besides cost obviously. CHeers

edit----
    hey look what search turned up, sorry for jonging

plates

if you might want to ever move mount points

if you have a hole conflict with previously drilled skis

if you want to sell your skis someday

inserts

if you are in love with a pair of skis and the mount point is there for good

if you want the lowest-to-the-ski mount

if you have a ski drilled once (or twice) for the same bindings you want to keep using e.g. I have an old pair of b4's that are still good and are also already drilled for salomon and d'fit so inserts would make the most sense there...

Maybe it's already been covered, but the BF screw length chart is wrong for the STH-16 (which is definitely not the same as 914, which has the plastic toe baseplate and a 4-screw heel track). The STH-16 should be the same heel screws as the STH-12 Driver and STH-14, but the front & rear toe screws are different lengths (due to the metal toe baseplate). Total screw count for STH-16 is 18. Error is probably the quantity of 12mm screws, but I'll have to check.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Maybe it's already been covered, but the BF screw length chart is wrong for the STH-16 (which is definitely not the same as 914, which has the plastic toe baseplate and a 4-screw heel track). The STH-16 should be the same heel screws as the STH-12 Driver and STH-14, but the front & rear toe screws are different lengths (due to the metal toe baseplate). Total screw count for STH-16 is 18. Error is probably the quantity of 12mm screws, but I'll have to check.
    Send the BF guys an email (on their webpage) - they'll correct the chart. The length for Speed Radical heel was wrong too (although they indicated they thought it might be what turned out to be correct). I sent them an email about that and it was corrected within a day.