1-1-11 Lone Peak-Big Horn Peak South Faces

Not much of the partying type. I went to bed at 9:30 on New Years Eve, then got up at 5:00am to ski. Seems like more fun to me. But I'm old, so......

6:30am start at Suncrest. Leaving the car in the millionaire neighborhood, start skiing from there. Freeze ass cold this morning above suburbia.

Timp looking arctic.

I've skied Lone Peak a few other times, always starting from Big Willow. Today we decided to skin up from Suncrest, which as it turns out, is a really long slog. Lone Peak WAY out there, in the distance.

Where's the bluebird?

When we got on the south face of Lone Peak, the sun came out. Good timing as fatigue starts creaping in. Sunshine is good for the mind and motivation.

South Face of Bighorn Peak. We'll ski that later today.

Timpanogos massif.

If you were into photo slutting, you could do cool things here.

Ninja on summit of Lone Peak.

We had hoped to ski the east face of Lone Peak, but the winds had loaded just about every aspect up with a dense wind slab. Having already been rolled once this year, we decided to not push our luck. I skied it about four years ago. It's steep and committing, and not a place to screw around.

We opted to live and decided to ski the south face. Fun, high elevation meadow skipping.

We then traversed the ridge between Lone Peak and Big Horn, looking for a way into Bells Canyon.

Conditions did not change. Huge wind slabs on steep slopes. No thanks.

So we skied down the south aspects further.......good times.

We got down a ways and decided to skin back up the south ridge of Big Horn Peak. I skied the upper 1/3rd of this line years ago in corn and thought it would be fun to do the whole enchilada today.

Kinda tired at this point, but the sun is out, the weather is good, and here we are, so..........

South Face of Lone Peak with the NE couloir visible in the shadows.

We dropped a car at the bottom of Bells Canyon, shown here, but we couldn't safely get into the canyon without a much longer slog over to Chipmans.

So 3,000ft of continuous fall line, high elevation meadow skipping in the middle of nowhere would just have to do.

High above the Happy Valley and the town of Alpine.

Across what is know as the "Second Hammongog".

Gigantic south face of Lone Peak, which, by the way, slid out top to bottom during the last storm. The slide ran the full 3,000ft.

A pleasant coast back to suburbia.

It was a bit surreal skiing back into a valley of 2 million people. Skiing right to the McMansions.

At the trailhead, some nice folks gave us a ride back to our car. The perfect end to an excellent tour. Best of all, you could clearly see our tracks off of Bighorn from suburbia. Not much better than that.

Very nice. Thanks for posting these up.

This is sick! Been outta town not skiing for a few days, now I am stoked

Outstanding, looks like a proud day. Much better use of New Years Day than my crippling champagne and quail hangover.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Very nice TR, thanks for the post.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I need a day like that, some of my favorite terrain in the central Wasatch.

I looked at starting at Suncrest for a Lone Peak Cirque day this summer, and although the elevation gain looks tempting I realized it was a long ways horizontally.

Yeah Derek! I'm jealous: standing around doing beacon drills on such a nice day was kinda painful for me today. Even moreso now that I see what I was missing. Good kickoff to 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I need a day like that, some of my favorite terrain in the central Wasatch.

I looked at starting at Suncrest for a Lone Peak Cirque day this summer, and although the elevation gain looks tempting I realized it was a long ways horizontally.
    Yeah, it's a long ways. But starting from Big Willow is five hours to summit with that nasty, potentially avy prone climb out of Big Willow. The approach today took about five hours as well and had far less avy terrain. The approach from Alpine would be five hours too, I'm sure.

Great TR, way to get after it and start of 2011 strong!
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to forget new years party to go touring. Nice work!
    Solesides and I went to rogers pass and just as we got into the alpine the ceiling dropped and we had to leave without foto's.
    One day I'll get a T.R. worthy folder of foto's
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Nice job fellas. Lots of good pics. Thanks

Really love that second shot of Timp- great, great light.

Looks like a loooong but fun day

Very nice good shots!

looks like a great day
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

nice tr. ty

Nice TR. great Pic's! Way to ring in the New Year!
    Feeling anxious, a little paranoid.

Nice TR! Bump for very good stoke!

Nice, I've looked at that SW face of Bighorn many times from I-15.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    It's not that bad in the summer. For one of my speedgoat training runs this summer I started at the BST trailhead at the bottom of Big Willow and went BST->Corner Canyon road->Jacobs Ladder to the cirque and back in 5:20. If you drove to the Jacobs Ladder trailhead you could probably be at the cirque in under 2 hours even carrying a pack full of trad gear.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 01-03-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Yes!

Way to get after it.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

s-s-s-slog. Haven't been on TGR in quite a while and great to see awesome stoke like this near the top. really missing the Wasatch right about now.

presidents day nearing..

Quote Originally Posted by springsproject View Post
    This is sick! Been outta town not skiing for a few days, now I am stoked
    This is sick! Been in town not skiing because the mid-atlantic sucks, now I am heartsick.

Thats a good mountain, that one there. I really wanted to get up on the E. face on my few days back. I'm glad that I can use windslab evidence as an excuse for lack of preparation and excessive alcoholic consumption.

Do you really think that approach sucks a lot more?

Quote Originally Posted by powdherb View Post

Do you really think that approach sucks a lot more?
    I enjoyed the approach from Suncrest for the following reasons:
    1. It's closer than driving to Alpine
    2. It's very scenic, with your objective always in view.
    3. Less avy danger than the Big Willow approach with no booting.
    4. Approach time was about 5 hours, which is what the Big Willow approach usually takes.
    5. It's different.

Trade off is the short scramble from the south summit to the start of the east face line. Sometimes it can be a little spicey, but not too bad really.
    Last edited by Trackhead; 01-03-2011 at 05:11 PM.