Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Hey JS
    Maybe they were tipping the camera, but if the max is 90 degrees, those pictures looked well over 45 degrees, yet it said Harakiri is 38 degrees. So wtf????
    The sign at the top of Harakiri says 78%, which is 42 degrees if the google machine is right.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    My wife has skied the Saslong and Harakiri multiple times. She will be pleased to learn she is an extreme skier.

Although, that shit is wayyyyy steep. . .

Is that ski dog?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by huckasoreass View Post
    Or the world's most dangerous wave: Hawaii. I love how Corbets makes every such list that is put together by tourons. The moment you see it on there, you know the list was compiled by someone who doesn't have a clue.
    Yeah, I haven't been there but I have watched dozens of gumbies safely ragdoll their way down that thing via youtube, so I can't believe it's all that dangerous.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    The sign at the top of Harakiri says 78%, which is 42 degrees if the google machine is right.
    It might be 40-42 at the very top, then it mellows out a bit, into the low-mid 30s. It's not a very long run but I have seen people slide from the top to the bottom when washing out on the first turn. Brits on holiday are more psyched out by that thing than they are by toothbrushes but it's no big deal. Not much chance of hurting anything more than your pride, it's not like you can tomahawk into a pile of rocks or something. I can think of about 10 runs at Telluride that would fuck you up way worse.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by jrbd View Post
    Most inbounds deaths are on groomed blue runs.
    not hating, not flaming, but am curious about this stat.

Is that nominal deaths or deaths per skier? I would assume most people ski groomed blues so the traffic would be higher - like more deaths on the interstate vs. my side street.

Quote Originally Posted by turboLT View Post
    not hating, not flaming, but am curious about this stat.

Is that nominal deaths or deaths per skier? I would assume most people ski groomed blues so the traffic would be higher - like more deaths on the interstate vs. my side street.
    Groomed blues, under 30, 3rd day of vacation. They hit trees. (I thought that was common knowledge.)

Edit:

Most fatalities occur in the same population that engages in high-risk behavior. Victims are predominantly male (85 percent) from their late teens to late 30s (70 percent), according to Dr. Shealy. Less than 10 percent of fatally injured skiers and snowboarders are under 10 or over 50 years of age, but more than 16 percent of all skiers and snowboarders are in these age groups. Most of those fatally injured are above-average skiers and snowboarders who are going at high rates of speed on the margins of intermediate trails.
    From http://www.nsaa.org/nsaa/press/facts...nbd-safety.asp

2nd edit

Collisions of all sorts account for 90% of all fatalities - trees are the most commonly struck object accounting for some 60% of all fatalities. Collisions with other persons account for about 10% of all fatalities.
    http://www.ski-injury.com/intro

3rd edit...

A young Philipsburg man and expert skier died Tuesday from injuries received when he hit a tree while skiing at the Discovery Ski Area near Anaconda.

Adie was skiing down Claim Jumper, a blue, or intermediate, run on the area's front side. The run has no trees but is lined by trees on either side.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/stat...05659e0d9.html

Just type "skier dies" into google news and see how many aren't tree related.
    Last edited by karpiel; 12-29-2010 at 09:52 PM.

That's interesting. I'm still curious if it's a function of sheer volume on the blues but admittedly I haven't read the whole article you posted (that's what work is for!). I figured per capita, or as a % of deaths to total traffic, it would be alpine touring. I think of people getting caught in slides or otherwise injured and too far to away get help.

The reason I asked is because when I was a little kid my mother's friend died on the slopes from a collision with another person. Definitely remember it vividly and I guess my perception has always been skewed after that.

Whatever Christmas chute isn't even the most dangerous run at Alyeska. Ragdoll and the knuckles are gnarlier.

S&S (JH) should be on that list.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Sol Vista and Hogan Bowl are not on the list... this list is useless!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

stay tuned to the daily beast for next weeks gripping review of the 5 most dangerous runs @ echo mountain, colorado

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    42 degrees is 78 gradians, i.e., 78% of 90 degrees, which is equal to 100 gradians.

But nobody uses gradians. 78% refers to the slope (rise over run), not the angle. To get the slope, you need to take an arctangent. The arctangent of 78% is about 0.66 degrees, or 38 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    All I know is that funneled cat track with about 1,000 different runs merging into it with 1,000 skiers on it at all times down to Chair 39 (Pete's) at Flail is TERRIFYING.
    Hornswagler gully or whatever, No shit. Stay WAY high to the right or left and drop in right to the que or just past the bridge and avoid the middle.

Or just straight-line it in a race tuck!

I would say "The Wall" at Holiday, Valley NY should be on that run. It is fucking funny..

Quote Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
    Groomed blues, under 30, 3rd day of vacation. They hit trees. (I thought that was common knowledge.)

Edit:

From http://www.nsaa.org/nsaa/press/facts...nbd-safety.asp

2nd edit

http://www.ski-injury.com/intro

3rd edit...

http://billingsgazette.com/news/stat...05659e0d9.html

Just type "skier dies" into google news and see how many aren't tree related.
    ^^^ two years ago I almost bounced my head off of a birch tree when I pre released doing gs turns on a blue. Probably would have been death or debilitating. I missed the tree by inches. I was an idiot and didn't turn my Dins up after the tech set them on 9. Just figured it was a powder day it shouldn't be a big deal, I will turn them up when I get home. After three to four tentative runs I gained confidence and opened em up. Now they stay on 12+. Definitely the most scared I have been on skis.

I love that Hunter made the list. Growing up in NY I have to agree that skiing at Hunter was very scary. Tons of people flying everywhere. In terms of bodily risk, that has to rank up there.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMOWER View Post
    I would say "The Wall" at Holiday, Valley NY should be on that run. It is fucking funny..
    bring your beacons. Watch out for the avy danger...

^^ Holy hangfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Meyer View Post
    ^^ Holy hangfire.
    Actually that was caused by the "HOLY HAND GRENADE OF ANTIOCH!!"

Skied Hunter once and will never do it again. It’s like a work release program for convicts. Watch out for the chain gang going down the double black!

Skiing from the Aiguille du Midi through the Mer de Glace in Cham isn’t the most difficult, but I saw my buddy almost fall into a crevasse.

The couch
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Quote Originally Posted by Stuck in the City View Post
    Skiing from the Aiguille du Midi through the Mer de Glace in Cham isn’t the most difficult, but I saw my buddy almost fall into a crevasse.
    That is defintely a high carnage to difficulty ratio. Between the gomers staggering down the hand line, falling in the moguls, slipping off the ladder to Montenvers, and bobsledding at high speed into melted out roads above Chamonix town, it's something to see. I see a helicopter extraction about 50% of the time.

Yet it's probably my favorite ski run in the world.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

i broke a ski in corbets, so...yea

No joke

Quote Originally Posted by gunit130 View Post
    How about that green run at Beaver Creek where you run the risk of getting punched in the face?

Punching wealthy kids from Mexico is probably a good way to end up decapitated. It shows how warped I am that this crossed my mind when I read the story. Last thing I ever want is to upset some Dad with connections to any of those cartels!

I think the deaths on blue runs has to do with the fact that you can let yourself go retarded fast, and if you fall, and continue on off the trail head first, you could die.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.