Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Call me when they have brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Yes, I definitely need to get a pair of these: http://www.bndskigear.com/skileash.html

I was on top of an icy ridge last Saturday, switching into ski mode, and was thinking about how sad it would be if my ski popped off. The ski would have descended a good 1000m vert without me attached.

Going to order some of the heel pads and heel track that accommodates them.

Should be about $75 shipped from France. If anyone wants I will get them for mags as well. Not gonna save you much except the hassle but thought I'd throw it out there.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Just to clarify, is the new heel track different in any way, other than adding the ability to use the heel pads?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

It's the same piece but has a spot cut out for the heel pad to slide onto and a screw to hold it.

Have to unscrew the main spring to separate the main shaft, then remove
    existing rail and track. Haven't done it but seems straightforward.

try to post a pic

Otto,

I'd take a pair if you get them.

Should have in a few days. Will pm you once I see them.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Hmm, maybe you could instead call these guys:
    After-Market Brake of All (?) Tech-Style Bindings
    (if you can speak Italian...).
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

I received an email from Mathieu at Plum stating that they have created a brake that is "retro-fittable" with the Guide. However, there will be very few available for the season. No photos.

Nice, lets make a brake then only build a few. I can already see the spate of "WTB Plum Brakes" threads in gearswap.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    Should have in a few days. Will pm you once I see them.
    Did you get your heel pads? I want to get some for my Guides.
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

Quote Originally Posted by cegli View Post
    Yes, I definitely need to get a pair of these: http://www.bndskigear.com/skileash.html

I was on top of an icy ridge last Saturday, switching into ski mode, and was thinking about how sad it would be if my ski popped off. The ski would have descended a good 1000m vert without me attached.
    Or you could do what I did. (Got the idea from someone else on the forum)...

get some coil lanyard and make it yourself. I got mine from some fly fishing store online. It looks like it is the same stuff BD uses, but way cheaper.

Have to unscrew the main spring to separate the main shaft, then remove
    existing rail and track
    Straightforward but be careful as fuck. Screwing that rear knobby DIN screw to attach the housing back on to the post...the thing just WANTS to crossthread if you even look at it wrong.
    Last edited by time2clmb; 08-25-2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: reword

Quote Originally Posted by zeroforhire View Post
    get some coil lanyard and make it yourself. I got mine from some fly fishing store online. It looks like it is the same stuff BD uses, but way cheaper.
    Make sure to test the strength of any DIY solution like this. I got some cheap coiled keychains to try, but they broke very easily testing a ski drop from my balcony. Back to G3 plastic tele leashes now.

Quote Originally Posted by BamBam_540 View Post
    Make sure to test the strength of any DIY solution like this. I got some cheap coiled keychains to try, but they broke very easily testing a ski drop from my balcony. Back to G3 plastic tele leashes now.
    Drop testing like that puts a hell of a lot of force on any cord. Why would you want them welded to your legs? Isn't the whole idea to simply prevent a run away ski?

You don't think its gonna put a load of force on the ski when you rag doll and spit a ski off that is set to 12DIN?

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    You don't think its gonna put a load of force on the ski when you rag doll and spit a ski off that is set to 12DIN?
    That's kind of my point. Why in the fuck would you want a ski attached to you with a high force resistance cord while you are rag dolling...that's just retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by BamBam_540 View Post
    I kinda want them to break pretty easy. Obviously not too easy. Mine have worked fine during the one season I have put on them. They are attached to a cheap zip tie which will break pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroforhire View Post
    They are attached to a cheap zip tie which will break pretty easy.
    As are mine. I want the ziptie to break, not the leash.

I doubt there is any leash system which will fail in an avalanche and will not fail in a fall at speed. It's brakes or nothing, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyskier View Post
    I doubt there is any leash system which will fail in an avalanche and will not fail in a fall at speed. It's brakes or nothing, I'm afraid.
    this is my experience - on the latter (luckily). hard to imagine exactly what the right "switch" guage is, but i'd rather not find out to the wrong if ever in an avy.

Decided to take a closer look at one of my toe pieces that started to give me some trouble at the end of the season. It is very hard to pull it up to walk mode and even click in to it, I figured that the small pin rolling in the toe lever was crooked and would therefore jam and cause a lot of friktion. Upon a closer look I discovered this as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	287545_10151033372270671_723511309_o.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	120151

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	271567_10151033372445671_471681498_o.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	258.3 KB 
ID:	120152

Not very comforting in my opinion. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by SimB; 09-04-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    If you're being rad and nobody's around to see it, are you really being rad?

www.simonblide.blogspot.com

The hard to pull up is easily fixed with some olive oil or other lubricant, but that crack doesn't look so hot! I'd contact Matthieu

Another interesting after-market brake, although I suspect the max ski width (and weight apparently) would be too limiting for the types of skis many have in mind for a brake-equipped Plum setup.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series