Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Any word on brakes?
    January, from what I've been told.

Yeah, brakes pushed back. I sent back the ones I got last year and Plum replaced the toe levers (and maybe rear base plates?) for free. The new toe lever is much better than last year's in terms of making it clear between walk/ski modes. Not sure if the shorter lever will change anything else. Still sexy looking.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Any word on brakes?
    I heard, unofficially, but from a reliable source, that they won't be out before next spring.

Plum told me 10 days ago:
    brakes should now be available by the end of the year.
    Yes, 110mm waist will be available.
    Brakes will be retro-fittable, but not on a DIY basis. The upgrade will have to be handled by a specialized store.

Couple different answers on the brakes. Hope it's by the end of the year.

from this morning:

"Yes, Jan is the plan now.
    Brakes will fit under the toe piece, as surprising as it might be. Big change of mindset in perspective.

Thanks
    L'Equipe PLUM / The PLUM Staff"

Putting the brake under the toe got me thinking about figuring out a brake that would attach to the crampon slot...hmmmm, interesting. Would be pretty easy to do if the brake arms pointed forward, but they could catch on tree branches & whatnot.

not sure how strong that would be... i.e. if your ski is flying down a slope

The first generation of ski brakes for Look Nevada bindings had the brakes on the toe and facing forward. They had a little shield over them when they were up so they wouldn't snag things.

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    The first generation of ski brakes for Look Nevada bindings had the brakes on the toe and facing forward. They had a little shield over them when they were up so they wouldn't snag things.
    Yeah, the difference is that tech bindings pivot at the toe. It'll be interesting to see how they lock the brakes in the up position and still keep things very light.

I wonder if it will be like the La Sportiva brake.. it faces forward and seems quite lightweight

Has anyone successfully fit B&D classic crampons to the Guides? Do you have to shave the rivets like the dynafits?

I had to very lightly file the insertion slot for the B&D crampons, and then they fit fine.

/\/\ what he said.

-snowsprite

rad, thanks!

like this

These, for the Sportiva, are $125 at BC.COM, I might just stick with the leash.
    watch out for snakes

this is bizarre, because i have 2 different pairs of B&D crampons and I can't get either into my Plums, even with very aggressive filing and cutting on the crampons, and a touch of grinding on the plums. My plums are last years, wonder if that makes a difference

I have B&D 95 Comfort crampons and didn't touch them - just filed the front edge of the slot (last year's Plums) on the binding with a jeweler's file. Take it slowly, it doesn't need much. Spray the slot with silicone spray or Tri-flow, the aluminum is kind of "sticky" at first.

PS The little aluminum tab to keep the cramps centered doesn't work very well, they drift off to the side easily.

Looks like one expensive mouse trap!

Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I have B&D 95 Comfort crampons and didn't touch them - just filed the front edge of the slot (last year's Plums) on the binding with a jeweler's file. Take it slowly, it doesn't need much. Spray the slot with silicone spray or Tri-flow, the aluminum is kind of "sticky" at first.

PS The little aluminum tab to keep the cramps centered doesn't work very well, they drift off to the side easily.
    alright, I'm an idiot. Now that I did that and removed the tab on the crampons they work. But they are very sticky, its like the round bar stock on the crampons is just a touch too big in diameter. Maybe that will "break in" a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    But they are very sticky, its like the round bar stock on the crampons is just a touch too big in diameter. Maybe that will "break in" a bit.
    Maybe try smearing some valve lapping compound (fine liquid sandpaper) in there and work it back and forth a bunch to wear away the tight spots, then disassemble and clean thoroughly, then lube?

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    like this

These, for the Sportiva, are $125 at , I might just stick with the leash.
    So, it looks like those trigger off of the big pin sticking out of the side of the RT's ski/tour lever:

When the pin moves down, the brake is released. Push the lever down once the toe wings are closed (and the pin is up) to reload it. But, I don't see anything similar on the toe piece of the Plums... Maybe they'll put a trigger directly under the ski/tour lever's hinge?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post

I did the same. Works fine after that.
    watch out for snakes

Just got my plum guides in the mail- they are so beautiful. So beautiful...lightweight, they feel really burly, everything is finished ridiculously well...so stoked.

Was thinking of using the leashes, that come w/ Plums. I can't figure out how to use them. Any one used them? How do you attach them? Thx
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

I'm definitely going to use my dynafit ones.. still not sure how to properly attach the plum ones to my boot. I like Greg Louie's comment about them on wildsnow: "My first thought when I took them out was that they had stolen the buttons off one of my mom’s Chinese dresses"

for mounting, I don't see a tech gap spacer in the box.. are they to be mounted with the same 5.5 mm spacer as the st/ft's ?