Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kill me now.

Kill me now.

Please?

Christmas family gatherings can be so painful. Biting my tongue when I want to blurt out the most cynical responses to the gayest statements one could make, takes so much control. Holding it in, just holding it in.

Granted, my family and (step)family are as eccentric as they come.

Anybody else running off, coming here for temporary relief or venting? Am I alone in these feelings of frustration?

[\blog]

^^ faked a meeting with an old friend, bailed on back to back church choir singing, family stuff, still got together with the fam, my sis babies, great time, great family etc..

draw the line at hours of church.. usually drink in the car in the parking lot

pretty epic pain, best avoided.

All but my immediate family are jehovahs witnesses, not an issue.

^^^^LMAO thank you guys I feel so much better now!!!

Vibes++++++

And thank you Coors Light

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    Christmas family gatherings can be so painful. Biting my tongue when I want to blurt out the most cynical responses to the gayest statements one could make, takes so much control. Holding it in, just holding it in.
    ^^^^this

I love my parents dearly...I really do...but they are so lost in the past and out of touch with reality. They say the stupidest things.

I've got scars on my tongue from all the biting I have to do. Rather than try and correct them on all the lame stuff they say about the world being so great in their time and how it's going to hell now I just keep to myself with the realization that they spend 99 percent of their time in this small apartment and their misguided thoughts have no effect or influence on the outside world.

Plus there is no alcohol here. Next up, my religious brother is getting married to his religious fiance...on New Years Eve.

At least Whislter isnt getting any new snow while I'm out here on the other side of the country...holy shit, where's the tylenol?

/rant

T minus 36 hours till I board a plane to UT. That's the only thing getting me through this... that and Maker's Mark.

Love my inlaws, hate listening to Xmas music and doing the extended family thing xmas eve and tomorrow. Feel like a scrooge for saying it, but whatevs

So fucking ready to ski

Mother Fucking Torture.....
    Most of my family are dead, or living away.
    Her bloodsucking, piece of fucking shit family is hated so bad by each other that no one invited no one else for Christmas, so her piece of shit, doesn't call unless he wants something cocksucking Father has to call her, and guilt her into inviting them for Christmas , just the two of them. So the rest of the fucking roaches find out, and now we are up to fifteen. Slut sister, has to call her fucking ex, invite his ass, while she invites her boyfriend to come. Bringing along her brood of kids that weren't aborted like the other 4. I would rather take a hammer to my nutsack, then deal with these piece of shit, greedy no good motherfuckers..Just wanted a peaceful holiday with my wife, and kid, but I can always count on these fuckwads to mess it up..Won't change anything, but I feel better.

Merry Mother fucking Christmas to me.

Walking...in a....Winter...wonder...land...

Uugghhh... Just played the christmas gift exchange game... the one where everyone enters a CHEAP gift and you can steal it... Yeah, some of these people took cheap to a whole new level. I went to REI and got the coolest thing they had for $30. I end up with a basket of fucking cocoa and tea. WTF!?!? seriously?

I'm pretty sure the person with my gift was begging people to steal it, but we couldn't steal our own gift back. Despite me having two of them already, I'd still take it. Who wants this fucking tea?

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    Uugghhh... Just played the christmas gift exchange game... the one where everyone enters a CHEAP gift and you can steal it... Yeah, some of these people took cheap to a whole new level. I went to REI and got the coolest thing they had for $30. I end up with a basket of fucking cocoa and tea. WTF!?!? seriously?

I'm pretty sure the person with my gift was begging people to steal it, but we couldn't steal our own gift back. Despite me having two of them already, I'd still take it. Who wants this fucking tea?

create symbolism for each moment. at least you have family to hang with.

cocoa and tea? not bad considering in some places those items are used as money, seems like a very respectable and rich gift. fucking gift cards are the worst.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Boarding a plane in the morning for TX, where there is no skiing. Road tripping back from Austin area to Denver next Wed with 4 adults and 3 kids (total) in a Dodge Durango. I will probably pay a trucker to shoot me in the face somewhere near Amarillo. But I do love my wife and once every 7-10 years we have to do this crap. Happy Holidays y'all.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    create symbolism for each moment. at least you have family to hang with.

cocoa and tea? not bad considering in some places those items are used as money, seems like a very respectable and rich gift. fucking gift cards are the worst.
    You know, you really spoil the cynical humor of the moment. I guess I should take my cocoa and tea to china, do some bartering and come back with some rice I can truly appreciate.

Not that I don't love my family, every one of them, but damn... sometimes I question if I'm really related.

This brought the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by SterlingSpikeDancer View Post
    Road tripping back from Austin area to Denver next Wed with 4 adults and 3 kids (total) in a Dodge Durango. I will probably pay a trucker to shoot me in the face somewhere near Amarillo.

And I think this wins for the theme of this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    Mother Fucking Torture.....
    Most of my family are dead, or living away.
    Her bloodsucking, piece of fucking shit family is hated so bad by each other that no one invited no one else for Christmas, so her piece of shit, doesn't call unless he wants something cocksucking Father has to call her, and guilt her into inviting them for Christmas , just the two of them. So the rest of the fucking roaches find out, and now we are up to fifteen. Slut sister, has to call her fucking ex, invite his ass, while she invites her boyfriend to come. Bringing along her brood of kids that weren't aborted like the other 4. I would rather take a hammer to my nutsack, then deal with these piece of shit, greedy no good motherfuckers..Just wanted a peaceful holiday with my wife, and kid, but I can always count on these fuckwads to mess it up..Won't change anything, but I feel better.

Merry Mother fucking Christmas to me.

Walking...in a....Winter...wonder...land...

Sorry mang, sending vibes your way.

I went a friends family christmas eve which was very nice of them to have me. her sister, who is a vegetarian told me she "doesn't eat sugar"...while she was drinking an orange soda...when one of her family members found out about her new eating habits he said "thats unamerican" not sure who was better

nice family tho, made me miss mine

just get drunk

I have been looking around the TGR/TTips forums for the past week or so for a Bah-Humbug! thread like this. Almost started one myself. Been feeling fed up with the family drama/consumerist BS that is the holiday season around here. Gotta say Roadrash probably gives us all a little perspective, it COULD be worse. And it could be better, case in point:

I just got hitched last August so its the 1st official Christmas where Me and the wife are trying to truly bring the families together, so i thought. We made a few different versions of Christmas day plans with all family involved, my parents had to change shit around so now we are splitting the day between her family in the AM and mine in the PM. In-laws are pissed. Wife's folks ream her all last week about it, as well as everything else in life like finances, grandkids, career choices, etc. and make my life hell. My mother in law cried during the whole Xmas eve church service tonight because we are going to miss dinner w them. WTF! - shes not even that good of a cook. The holidays should be about being together, enjoying family and friends, not about guilt ridden and coerced family obligation hidden behind piles of presents and useless expensive gifts. Its all bullshit and at least this is a step towards the MIL knowing she doesnt call all the shots. And to be fair I did just get some 189 Icelantic Keepers w/ 7tm power tours - not mounted yet but that takes to sting away a bit. Not a gift from Santa but from wedding & christmas work bonuses i received- so Merry Christmas to me.

family is a blessing and curse, mags like Roadrash and AltaAndy give a glimpse to both sides of that nickel.
    end rant

happy holidays and happy shredding!
    stay outta my line

So I've got essentially 5 separate family/GF's family Christmas celebrations this year, 6 if you count her and I just doing our thing Xmas am. It's a busy year. They run the gamut of function/disfunction:

Last weekend, Xmas with my family, specifically my mom's side (dad's side is spread out and none are around here). Pinnacle of functionality. My parents host this event and know that everyone has a lot going on xmas/xmas eve, so they said "hey lets do it a week early". Typically done on a Saturday, this year my cousin had a basketball game- no big deal we'll do it on Sunday. My mom cooks a big meal, others bring an appetizer or something, some boozing, some games, a few presents. Overall a very good time and incredibly drama free, some ball busting at most- everything a Xmas celebration should be. Maybe 5% probability of drama.

Tonight, I just got back from the GF's dad's side of the family's celebration. Uggh. The GF and her dad do not get along and basically only speak to each other at Xmas, which is limited to a "hi, merry christmas". Otherwise everyone is basically cool (there has been some other random drama in the past), but it's very uncomfortable when he's around. Especially when he's asking me questions about his own daughter and where she is working now, things like that, things a dad should know. So yeah, I get stuck standing there talking to this guy I don't really know all the well, while the fact that the person I'm going to marry hates his fucking guts is lingering in the air. He's also basically outcasted from the rest of his family too, it's just a very fucked up situation. There's not really much alcohol at this gathering, but her bro came through with a growler for us to help get through this one. Although last year the drama was that he was shitfaced, then his uncle gave him some cash to run to the store to get butter (on foot) and he came back empty handed, likely spending it at the corner bar. Yeah that was a fun one.
    98% chance of drama, 60% chance of serious drama. The GF had to get a few beers in her before this one.

Xmas late morning/early afternoon: Lunch with just me, the GF and my folks. Some presents, 1% chance of drama.

Xmas late afternoon/into the night. Xmas with the GF's mom's side of the family. Big Irish family, lots of booze, everyone is basically chill. the Wii typically gets broken out, a few growlers are consumed, a lot of other beer/wine/booze is had, I'm bringing a magnum of 09 Anchor Xmas- It's just a big party. One branch of the family will be out of town and can't make it, no big deal- although I won't be able to talk snow sports with her emo panted snowboarding cousin (he's actually cool despite those things). Some other random people might stop by. 8% chance of drama. This and my family's big celebration are my two favorites, very similar feel.

Monday: Me, the GF, her mom and her bro doing the small Xmas thing. They come out to our house, I think we are just going to get a pizza, make a salad and crack a bottle of wine. Gift exchange and just hang out. 85% chance of minor drama (her mom can be a bit of a stress monkey and her bro can be a slacker). 5% chance of serious drama.

Tuesday: We sleep in, ski and avoid family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

I dig this anti-stoke stoke!

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Tuesday: We sleep in, ski and avoid family.
    EDIT: 0% chance of drama

@ least you got Tuesday! Merry Christmas!
    stay outta my line

RE: Dumpy's endless blog

Holy shit man, I don't know what you do for a living, but if I had to guess you're a technical writer for those aircraft passenger safety manuals. You love to write express yourself in the literary arts (blogs) don't you mang?

The consumerism drives me nuts. Since my sister hosted this one, she planned it out to the mother-fucking-T. Storebought (prepared) christmas dinner ... christmas eve gift exchange game... everybody brings X amount of stocking stuffers...everybody spends X amount on one other person, rather than getting this or that for every person.

The good thing about that was, the X amount afforded quite a bit of goods from TGR Gearswap, and since my mom selected my name and knows dick about the gear I'd want, I just decided I'd do her shopping for her. I found screaming deals on a new BCA Tracker Beacon and some Praxis Powderboards, so at least I made out well with that.

Much better than the size 40/30 (i'm a 34/34), stretchy, non-waterproof "Ski Pants" she got me last year.

Anyway, not about the consumerism.... I know, I'm a hypocritical bastard.

Merry christmas, maggots

And happy hannukah, if you roll that way.

Ever seen Squidbillies? If so, there you go. Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by TransplantedFromRMNP View Post
    We made a few different versions of Christmas day plans with all family involved, my parents had to change shit around so now we are splitting the day between her family in the AM and mine in the PM. In-laws are pissed.

Wife's folks ream her all last week about it, as well as everything else in life like finances, grandkids, career choices, etc. and make my life hell. My mother in law cried during the whole Xmas eve church service tonight because we are going to miss dinner w them. WTF!
    dude, I got stressed out just reading this...hope you have some powder or some weapons grade chemical ingestion in your future to help you cope. vibes

Quote Originally Posted by AltaAndy View Post
    I went a friends family christmas eve which was very nice of them to have me. her sister, who is a vegetarian told me she "doesn't eat sugar"...while she was drinking an orange soda...when one of her family members found out about her new eating habits he said "thats unamerican" not sure who was better

nice family tho, made me miss mine
    heh. I'm at my wife's parent's house. My sister in law is here, and she refuses to eat anything with lactose or gluten (due to imagined allergies that everyone knows are bullshit), and is very selective in what kind of meat she'll eat, so we're all stuck eating crappy confections that are made with almond milk and rice flour. Plus, she's recently divorced so she brought her new ambiguously gay boyfriend and insists on making out with him and showering with him, to the rest of the family's discomfort.

Threads like this make me feel normal. Sure, I had my grandma hinting that my cousins are better than me because they went to church with her yesterday; but frankly, I couldn't give a damn. Give it a couple years and see who cares what the gym teacher is going. I'll be off putting holes in some exotic part of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by TransplantedFromRMNP View Post

I just got hitched last August so its the 1st official Christmas where Me and the wife are trying to truly bring the families together, so i thought. We made a few different versions of Christmas day plans with all family involved, my parents had to change shit around so now we are splitting the day between her family in the AM and mine in the PM.

happy holidays and happy shredding!
    Gotta get them trained now. One family on christmas, the other on the 26th. Alternate which family you see on christmas. Get all brothers / sisters in on this one, so that they do the same with their in laws. My mom's family has been doing this for years, and I think we've finally got my dad's side on board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Thanks for making me feel abnormal for actually enjoying the holidays with my family whenever given the chance. We usually average one bottle of wine per person which is a fairly successful ratio for guaranteeing a great time.

My family does Xmas and Turkey day rolled into one family dinner (paella) in early November. Works out perfectly for all involved.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

spending the rest of the holidays and new years with the GF's family. and guess what?! they dont speak english! at all! just Russian! haha, i win.