Beta or other thoughts on on Look SPX clamps?

Wondering what was the common wisdom on SPX? Compatibility with Atomic XTD (found out this afternoon that I will be getting a pair of 130's later third month). Are they kind of a bitch to get into and out of like the ols PX? Other thoughts? Haven't had a chance yet to use them myself. Only feedback I've heard is from reps.......and I always take the opinion of reps (from all manufacturers) with a pound of salt.

LT

They are a tight cookie, I have a set of the SPX 15 Rockerflex's mounted to my piste skis, not that theres a template so I had to DIY it as they came off a set of buggered race sticks. They are heavy but its nice to know your in an all metal binder with a link strip between the heal and toe.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

No more??? Seems about time for Leavenworth Skier to chime in.

I like pivots. SPX are easier than old px, geometry changed to make it easier to push them open when running a high din.

They hold a boot fine, release fine, and are as durable as most others. Always cheap and easy to find parts for.

The old racing PXs are a bit tough to get in/out when release is set high and forward pressure is right. But easier on the SPX and how big of a deal is that anyway?

Obviously you'll need the dual toe version for Hawx XTDs.

I've got some spx12 duals I'd sell you

The Duals are are actually trips in that they will take WTR/Gripwalk/Alpine. Solid clamps for sure.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I have Rossi axial2’s from ten years ago and love the bindings. In researching a new pair for a new set of boards, why would one choose the spx over pivots? Seems like pivots are the go-to.

Quote Originally Posted by brown9 View Post
    I have Rossi axial2’s from ten years ago and love the bindings. In researching a new pair for a new set of boards, why would one choose the spx over pivots? Seems like pivots are the go-to.
    SPD heel is actaully laterally more rigid. Just look what Rossi/Dynastar use of their race skis, SPX/PX heels, not Pivots, a design that racers abandoned a decade ago. The new Rockerflex heel does have some of the Pivot attributes though in the short mount distance.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    SPD heel is actaully laterally more rigid. Just look what Rossi/Dynastar use of their race skis, SPX/PX heels, not Pivots, a design that racers abandoned a decade ago. The new Rockerflex heel does have some of the Pivot attributes though in the short mount distance.
    In watching the olympics, almost every bump skier is still in pivots. This surprised me. Boot and ski brand were all over, suggesting it wasn't purely a sponsorship issue (i.e. sponsorship was not correlated between boots/bindings or skis/bindings).

^^Elasticity of the Pivot heel, high DIN and you can get skinny brakes w/o getting a raceplate type binding.

Look makes a SPX heel called a Rockerace--it has a different mounting design than regular SPX heel in that the back of the heel floats a bit above the ski and the mount screws are under the boot heel like the Pivot. Up to 14 DIN and they get you more fore and aft adjustment than Pivot. Its a solid binding. I like these a lot.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    ^^Elasticity of the Pivot heel, high DIN and you can get skinny brakes w/o getting a raceplate type binding.

Look makes a SPX heel called a Rockerace--it has a different mounting design than regular SPX heel in that the back of the heel floats a bit above the ski and the mount screws are under the boot heel like the Pivot. Up to 14 DIN and they get you more fore and aft adjustment than Pivot. Its a solid binding. I like these a lot.
    I have the 15 din version with the nice metal toe. Its meant to be for the R21/R20 race plate but you can make the mount with the normal pivot toe and then a bit of careful measurement.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Does the Rockerrace have the dual AFD toe? If so, this would pretty much be the one alpine binder to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

You mean these?

http://www.artechski.com/look-2018-s...-ski-bindings/

I do not like my axial 2's. Had a few unexpected releases, only on one foot, and never in situations where any other binding has prematurely ejeculated on me.

Could be that I'm not dialed up enough or some other issue I'm overlooking, but the fact remains that DIN vs DIN, this is the only heel piece that's ever had an unexpected issue.

Only other thought is that these are my only bindings I haven't mounted myself (REI actually), so maybe it's a bad base grind?