Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    keep up the good work bob. Keep thinking its awful.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Focus on the ski camp and how scary it will be.

It's going to be so fun.

Very cool about being a quitter.
    I want a 6" travel 20lb MTB. I found the 20lb MTB, but only good for riders under 87 pounds.

My only thought on this post:

If it were not for the religous influence in Utah, Utah would be Colorado. I'll buy any Mormon a beer, any day of the week, to celebrate that fact! Cheers!

DB
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

I still haven't had another smoke.

And, I still don't like Mormon bashing.

BobMc

does it make it easier to ride the bike?
    just kidding. Bashing something you have personal ties to is a drag.

Dang I miss Dingle's avatar, where o where did that go? Those light blue panties, the gentle pleasing massage...

That's great Bob. Your new pup will thank you for the smoke free digs

Serious congrats on the quiting of smoking for such a long time. So worth it! Tobacco free is true freedom. It turns the light on in the dark closet down the hall.

This board, like many others touches on topics of the day.

For example, when a guy like Tom Delay, who pushes religion and a so called 'war on religion' and his religious leaders agendas as a legislator, is in the news and being praised by our president even in the face of scandal, and as he pushes his version of a so called morality down the throats of my secular American way, it fires me up, and I may feel the need to speak up, speak out, or just bitch and scream senselessly in one really long sentence. I feel better now.

That is why we have threads about Mormonism in a ski forum.

If living around Mormons affects the life of the skiers who read this board, I've not got a problem with them posting why, or how this happens. I might find it interesting for a page or two, and I will note what I read, compare it to the info I already have, and likely take it into consideration as I move through life and decide where to live when.

Most of the people on this board share an interest in skiing, which brings them to the gathering. You can't expect a gathering of skiers to spend 100% of their time talking about skiing.

Again, congrats on the quit.

I wanna go to str8line camp have fun dude rip it up hardcore!
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Congrats on the quiting of the smokes. Seriously good work.

I do agree that Mormon/any religion/race/etc bashing is uncool. I will also say that I definitely learned some good stuff in the current Mormon thread. I think it could be a legitimate question that prolly only certain people can intelligently and maturely debate, but without debate and discussion then we are like China where there is no freedom of speech, press, etc. (Ok, maybe far fetched analogy, but slightly true after visiting there this summer)

I think this board serves as an amazing place to see/learn about different perspectives. Having (I think I'm remembering correctly) Grizzle discuss his beliefs and some of the facts of the LDS church was seriously enlightening to this religiously ignorant foo.

If its done in a respectful manner I hope the questions and debate continue because with it comes education to those of us that are/were uninformed or operating solely from stereotypes, which lets face it, do exist in today's world.

Edit: Ok, I only read the first 4 or 6 pages of that thread, not sure if its decended into hell or not so my comments don't necesarily pertain to the whole thread...
    Last edited by comish; 04-04-2006 at 11:05 PM.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney
    For example, when a guy like Tom Delay, who pushes religion and a so called 'war on religion' and his religious leaders agendas as a legislator, is in the news and being praised by our president even in the face of scandal, and as he pushes his version of a so called morality down the throats of my secular American way, it fires me up, and I may feel the need to speak up, speak out, or just bitch and scream senselessly in one really long sentence. I feel better now.
    Feeling discriminated against?

From http://www.atheists.org:A new study by the University of Minnesota Department of Sociology has found that Americans perceive Atheists as the group least likely to embrace common values and a shared vision of society.
    Researchers concluded: "Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in 'sharing their vision of American society.' Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry."
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

For a moment, I thought you were talking about Scientology.
    eating and sleeping is serious business

Quote Originally Posted by Dug
    For a moment, I thought you were talking about Scientology.
    no we fully endorse scientology bashing, but you are on your own for legal fees

ps. good work bob
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

thank you bob
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Well said Bob. Well said. Good luck with the cigs, and enjoy the camp. Booyeah!!!
    The Griz

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog
    Feeling discriminated against?

From http://www.atheists.org:A new study by the University of Minnesota Department of Sociology has found that Americans perceive Atheists as the group least likely to embrace common values and a shared vision of society.
    Researchers concluded: "Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in 'sharing their vision of American society.' Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry."
    Interesting study, but not bothersome. If highly religious folks look at me like I look at them, we are even, and I'm fine with that.

What bothers me? Bad public policy that permeates and fills every nook and cranny of the current congress and our president because of their faith based idealogy. Funny how so many on the right preach hands off, but when it comes down to promoting their religious fundamentalism, they micromanage programs to the point of destruction. Sad.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040401628.html

When it comes down to the things I care about that our religious right leaders claim is also one of their principals - running a responsible fiscally conservative government - they have failed miserably. They make the big city liberals, who have hands in the back pockets of everybody and everything and want to eliminate my right to bear arms and drive my car on uncongested highways, look like spendthrifts.

This really belongs in the padded room, sorry. Sigh. I really need to go skiing...

well said, bob.

this thread is worthless without pics

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6
    Well said Bob. Well said. Good luck with the cigs, and enjoy the camp. Booyeah!!!
    Perhaps you should read the date of his first post.
    Avoiding the real world since 1979

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan
    this thread is worthless without pics
    Filling in for the married guy, I'll throw down. Being a non married, non mormon beer drinking redneck can be tough work some times. Ala Sat. night on a yet to be launched houseboat. I have no idea who these girls are. Note the Moonlight Basin cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoplanker
    Nice, Bob. Good thoughts here. Good luck quitting the butts.

Regarding all this religion discussion: it seems to happen about once a year here on this BB. It never goes anywhere productive and it's rarely very interesting, mostly because most of us have heard it all before.

I think that many people are unable to participate in a productive or interesting discussion about religion and/or politics, because they are too emotionally invested in their particular perspectives. If you're talking to the right person, it can be interesting, but it's hard to make that work in a public forum like this.

There's a couple of folks smarter than me who said some interesting things that reflect my feelings.

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."

-H. L. Mencken

"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."

-Dalai Lama

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him."
    -Voltaire
    Great quotes...

Glad to hear about the smokes, Bob!

Also, I could never understand why religion was such an issue, caused so many wars, so much strife.

In the end, isn't it about what's inside the confines of your skull? It's okay if that's different from the other guy's IMO. And one reason I don't go to Catholic church (or any) anymore. I can't listen to somebody tell me why others are going to hell.

I still pray every single day in my car or before I go to bed. And I don't care if you don't do that!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

if you feel like having a cigarette, just stroll into your local cancer ward and watch people die.

you'll think twice about 1) lighting up and further killing yourself, 2) helping finance the tobacco industry.

speaking of which anyone see the movie THANK YOU FOR SMOKING.. pretty good satire about Truth.
    The Stoke and The Pow.

marry me Victoria

At this juncture I'd like to point out that I didn't have sex with Bob Mc's wife last night.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc
    Don't attempt to break down other's belief structures. Basically, this place isn't the place to discuss topics such as this. If you truly feel the need discuss religion I'm sure you can find plenty of places more suited.
    COP OUT...

Quote Originally Posted by bad_roo
    At this juncture I'd like to point out that I didn't have sex with Bob Mc's wife last night.
    But you did stay at a holiday inn express?

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ