Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Today was super dope. I went up there for a quick two hours and got about 10 epic runs in the bowls/ under the face.

Fifth chair, first tracks in four bowl, shit was creamy as fuck. There appeared to be a giant line at express all morning, but blue was completely empty. i loved throwing laps and watching the line not move at all. Sure the lift takes a little longer, but it was so gorgeous up there today, who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    The gates were opened before 11. It was ridiculous. The meadow was deep! Watch out for the creek running down the middle of the meadow....
    No shit! I popped off a pillow into the creek and lost a ski. Took the other one off to help pack my way back up to the first one and sank almost to my armpits. The snow was super blue and wet. It honestly kind of creeped me out...

Quote Originally Posted by noparking View Post
    ^^ nice video, I rode the lift with you yesterday I think it was. I was the the one w/ last years caylors and the trew gear.
    Yeah, how can I forget the on3ps. You guys were talking up roach bwl, so I went to check it out soon after...

Everyone discussing the waterways in lower heather brings it home. It's part of the reason I only go out there with someone else as I am always creekside. Few days ago it was raging water under the skiers left side of Yoda when I was in rather glorius snow on a quasi pillow line. Felt dangerous. Especially with all this recent warm weather, must have been flowing underneath. That said, I did feel uncomfortable when I got a little close to the water in my vid on the front side. Not too smart.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Here's a meadows POV from the last couple days, excluding today.
    noice!!

Yeah, how can I forget the on3ps. You guys were talking up roach bwl,
    i love roach! the cliff is fun, but, there were some sweet wind features wednesday, especially in its tress

not really related to hood, but it is related to hwy 26. spent the day at the coast - great weather and fantastic food. driving back on 26 was a sketch fest. numerous cars in the forest, some stopped in the middle of the road. anybody making the drive tonight or tomorrow am heads up.

Here's a meadows POV from the last couple days, excluding today.

that was fun! thanks!

Thinking about heading over into Newton in the morning with the wife to escape the crowds. Will prob just find a new crowd given the human volume on Hood lately. Been skiing Meadows for 5 years and this will be my first time that far to the east.

What's the latest on the MHM/boundary bullshit that I've heard about? Can you skin up the lower Heather runout/Newton Creek a certain distance, then have to climb E up to Pea Gravel? I heard there's a "you shall not pass" sign where you have to GTFO of their permit area.

Any beta appreciated.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
    . There appeared to be a giant line at express all morning, but blue was completely empty. i loved throwing laps and watching the line not move at all. Sure the lift takes a little longer, but it was so gorgeous up there today, who cares?
    i totally agree. i wish they had blue running more often. i don't think i was up there once last season when they had it running.

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    What's the latest on the MHM/boundary bullshit that I've heard about? Can you skin up the lower Heather runout/Newton Creek a certain distance, then have to climb E up to Pea Gravel? I heard there's a "you shall not pass" sign where you have to GTFO of their permit area.
    Yes. If you head up into Heather a little way on the main runout, you will hit a sign warning you to not go any further. Turn right. Should be a skin track there somewhere. I'm predicting a herd of people in this area tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    possibly, would like to get a few lift laps in early then would be up for a tour. If it is a complete shit show at opening, probably turn around and head for a tour of wr or tj. Probably head towards adams the rest of the weekend.
    Found this late. I have to head off the mountain around noon. If the lot is full before 8 I'll just head to wr.

Everyone discussing the waterways in lower heather brings it home. It's part of the reason I only go out there with someone else as I am always creekside. Few days ago it was raging water under the skiers left side of Yoda when I was in rather glorius snow on a quasi pillow line. Felt dangerous. Especially with all this recent warm weather, must have been flowing underneath. That said, I did feel uncomfortable when I got a little close to the water in my vid on the front side. Not too smart.
    Yeah, I scared the shit out of myself in the Elk\Yoda meadow. The storm day on Wed. Visibilty was not idea. I should know better, but was getting epic turns, dropping pillows, and then the next thing I know, I'm headed off a drop, into a hole. I'd have probably been fine, but my friend was already down in it. I immediately threw myself backwards into the wall as I came down. I'd have hit him really hard if not. Unfortunately, this put me in a bad place as I came down. Feet slightly above my head. Snow pouring onto my face. Essentially bottomless snow, with the sound of water below. Buried essentially. Panic set in. My friend was able to clear an air path after a major struggle, but I am not sure I would have gotten out anytime soon without his help. (or maybe worse) He had to unbuckle my back foo.t My lungs and throat hurt for a day due to breathing the cold smoke...At the time, I thought I was finished. Had someone came down the same line, I would have been finished through the impact of skiier on head, or the amount of snow that would have piled on me...(we could NOT be seen from above, that was certain...)

I feel like a fool. It's not like I have not seen the creek before. Sure, I have not been in there for two years, as I had surgery and have been off the slopes, but it's no excuse...Basically, I need to slow down. No line or face shot is worth it.

I'm still shaken, and trying to forget about the feeling of sucking snow...(the non faceshot variety!) Or maybe, I should try to remember it, and NEVER let it happen again.

Like the Vid klauss, keep on roc'n. Good to hear you guys got out. I'm considering an Avy lung the way the Snow is piling up.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

spook Guest
    Yeah, I scared the shit out of myself in the Elk\Yoda meadow. The storm day on Wed. Visibilty was not idea. I should know better, but was getting epic turns, dropping pillows, and then the next thing I know, I'm headed off a drop, into a hole.
    that's pretty close to what happened to me. i went over a bump and saw the next bump but couldn't see that what was in between further down was the creek. fortunately, i fell in feet first and where there was just enough snow to hold my weight above the creek or i would have fallen considerably further into a narrow gap. i was down far enough and with enough snow all around that i got a bit nervous, envisioning either falling all the way down and/or getting buried by the snow in the immediate vicinity. had to unbuckle all the way and very gingerly climb out hoping to avoid collapsing whatever snow was holding me up. felt pretty stupid, but fortunate.

Yeah, I scared the shit out of myself in the Elk\Yoda meadow. The storm day on Wed. Visibilty was not idea. I should know better, but was getting epic turns, dropping pillows, and then the next thing I know, I'm headed off a drop, into a hole. I'd have probably been fine, but my friend was already down in it. I immediately threw myself backwards into the wall as I came down. I'd have hit him really hard if not. Unfortunately, this put me in a bad place as I came down. Feet slightly above my head. Snow pouring onto my face. Essentially bottomless snow, with the sound of water below. Buried essentially. Panic set in. My friend was able to clear an air path after a major struggle, but I am not sure I would have gotten out anytime soon without his help. (or maybe worse) He had to unbuckle my back foo.t My lungs and throat hurt for a day due to breathing the cold smoke...At the time, I thought I was finished. Had someone came down the same line, I would have been finished through the impact of skiier on head, or the amount of snow that would have piled on me...(we could NOT be seen from above, that was certain...)

I feel like a fool. It's not like I have not seen the creek before. Sure, I have not been in there for two years, as I had surgery and have been off the slopes, but it's no excuse...Basically, I need to slow down. No line or face shot is worth it.

I'm still shaken, and trying to forget about the feeling of sucking snow...(the non faceshot variety!) Or maybe, I should try to remember it, and NEVER let it happen again.
    Wow, concerning. Glad you made it out ok. Can anyone describe where this creek bed is? I know that this type of discussion is generally off limits, but I think it's an exception when we can bring a little awareness to dangerous features such as this (seeing that more than one of us has encountered it just this week).

The only creek I came across is the one that runs just before the cat track in PR. There was a snow bridge at the foot of the meadow, so I just shot for that and avoided having to backtrack. Outside of that, there was a rather deep trench that ran along the fall line in one of the openings about halfway down. Certainly felt like a creek, but seemed dry.

EDIT: This was as of Wednesday this week.

I went up last night, work kept me in the valley until 2pm. 26 was a shit show zigzag to powmow for no reason. should have gone 35 when I had the chance.

Ass cold last night but fun, everything was tracked but as it got colder the snow got lighter and pounded through shit pretty easy.

Everything is open today as I sit in the valley. probably totally packed but it would be nice setting a few fresh tracks. Enjoy all!

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    TRAFFIC ALERT: Our parking lots filled by about 10 AM Thursday, and unfortunately without any additional parking available we had to turn away traffic at that time. We expect large crowds Friday and this weekend as well. We suggest traveling early, buddying up in carpools to reduce the amount of vehicles needing to be parked or considering our Park & Ride bus program.
    Anyone, I've always got room in the sled...she's safe and stable on the roads, got studs so no need to chain up. I'm pretty flexible and hate driving solo wasting gas and space. Hit me up for ride shares.
    Last edited by powholic; 12-31-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thewallsarecold View Post
    Wow, concerning. Glad you made it out ok. Can anyone describe where this creek bed is? I know that this type of discussion is generally off limits, but I think it's an exception when we can bring a little awareness to dangerous features such as this (seeing that more than one of us has encountered it just this week).

The only creek I came across is the one that runs just before the cat track in PR. There was a snow bridge at the foot of the meadow, so I just shot for that and avoided having to backtrack. Outside of that, there was a rather deep trench that ran along the fall line in one of the openings about halfway down. Certainly felt like a creek, but seemed dry.

EDIT: This was as of Wednesday this week.
    There's an open meadow in the Elk/Yoda area. When you look at it from up top or as you are skiing it almost looks like there are a series of slight ridges or pillow lines. You want to stay on top of those and not drop into the slight depressions between them because they are snowed over creek beds. There's not actually any visible running water but it's def there underneath the snow. With a few more big dumps you won't have to worry about them at all.

It seems like holes can open anywhere in that area. Stay out of the trough and you're good. Like ^^he said, it won't matter for much longer. Can't wait for the holidays to be over.....

Any PDXers recommend a shop for a base grind? I live fairly close to ski chalet, but go to hillcrest most of the time. Probably wouldn't trust US outdoor to do any work.

if I got to skibowl tonight will there be parking? that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSkidmark View Post
    It seems like holes can open anywhere in that area. Stay out of the trough and you're good. Like ^^he said, it won't matter for much longer. Can't wait for the holidays to be over.....
    That was what I saw. Thanks for the info, might keep me out of trouble one of these days.

Any PDXers recommend a shop for a base grind? I live fairly close to ski chalet, but go to hillcrest most of the time. Probably wouldn't trust US outdoor to do any work.
    My board is at US Outdoor right now. Talked with the guy there for a bit. The guy that does the grinds and edge tuneups seemed detail oriented, so I went for it. There's a three day wait period or so. Fingers crossed that she comes out alright.

Superbowl

Spoke with patrol and they said that superbowl should open tomorrow and beacon probe and shovel will be required (partner too?). Thought I would give you guys a heads up to bring your stuff just in case

Of course this is just what the guy in red at the top told me so don't get mad if it doesn't happen...

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    if I got to skibowl tonight will there be parking? that is the question
    As of right now there are people parking in govy and walking bc the lots are full. This is the most people I've ever seen in govy.

Today was a total shitshow everywhere on Hood. Meadows Skied good due to the cold, but the JONGS were out in full force. I feared for my safety a few times due to all the idiots around me.
    I'm glad the holidays are pretty much over, and I can't wait for the next storm cycle. Time to start putting those 200 vacation hours, 2 floating holidays, and 5 sick days to good use.
    Powholic, if you ever want to rideshare hit me up. I live and work downtown and i'm out of the office every day at 3. Sometimes 2 if the telemetry, web cams, and huge weather radar screen in my office give me good vibes. I can't ski for shit though.
    Training for Alpental

awesome day at meadows.
    the shitshow is more entertaining than dangerous.
    had me some of my fastest powder turns of the season when they dropped the gates on upper heather.
    i was normal for a while.

Powholic shoot me a pm when you'd like to go up I usually ride 5-6 days a week. Meadows actually better then yesterday, spent the majority of the day lapping sr and took a few runs through heather which was ok and over to Clarks where the snow was decent. If anyone else from pdx wants to share rides I'm always up for it.

fri

MHM, didn't think it was that much of shitshow. No waits in line, soft fresh deep in upper heather down to the run out if you knew where to go. The gapers were in force on mhx, don't think I had single ride on it that it didn't stop. Thought all day about how good a tram from hrm to cascade would be. The cornices over in acc. bowl were sweet, good times. Heard the same thing about superbowl potentially opening up tomorrow.

Tonight was/is a total shit show at the bowl. Lifties were acting like it was that time of the month and on a total power trip. Only 2 more days until things calm down, couldn't come any sooner.